Optimism monitor

BOF

Where do you think we will finish ?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think we will finish ?

• Champions 1st
    • Champions League 2nd - 4th
    • UEFA Cup challengers 5th - 7th
    • Top half 8th - 10th
    • Lower mid 11th - 14th
    • Survival 15th - 17th
    • Relegated 18th - 20th

At this point in time we have signed 2 first squad players, but some think we will sign a few more in plenty of time.

At the moment, if we were to ask you where you thought we would finish next season where would it be ?

We will do this again just before the season kicks off and hopefully once we've signed more players.

• 1 month later...

4 more players will join

which will enable us to get 6th or 7th

EDIT: need to read the threads properly, we would finish 8 - 10th with the current squad

Thats if we got nocked out of the cups in the first round, so we would have to play less games

I've played by the rules and gone for lower mid-table.

That is only because without another keeper and defender or two, then we are not protected from an injury crisis whcih could devastate our season.

I'm actually very optimistic though and once these players come in - and i am confident they will be - then i'll say UEFA challengers.

I've gone for 5th-7th. Don't ask why :) We need to avoid injury but I think our first 11 is the equal of anything outside the top 5. We need bodies in to cover that but we're not a million miles away and MON's motivation will get us the extra places. Not to mention I'd expect at least 2-3 players in before September.

I'd be mildly happy with a top half finish provided we were in the hunt for Europe all season long rather than last season's late rally which slightly flattered after our perilous mid-season.

well as of now our squad is weaker than last year when we got 11th. teams bellow have strengthened, a couple havent so 11th would be a good season for the squad we have got.

i also am playing by the rules o this thread and so am quite suprised that people think with a worse squad than last year we would finish better?

with the squad at this moment 8th-10th for me...

When the season ends...anything lower than 8th would be a huge disappointment for me...we really should be pushing for those uefa places this season

BB, if you take our squad last August and compare it to this August I don't think we are worse off now. Remember we only had the January additions for half a season. Also, even if you take our first 11 and compare to the end of the season our midfield is IMO significantly stronger. We're not there yet, but we're a damn sight closer.

well as of now our squad is weaker than last year when we got 11th. teams bellow have strengthened, a couple havent so 11th would be a good season for the squad we have got.

i also am playing by the rules o this thread and so am quite suprised that people think with a worse squad than last year we would finish better?

Thats only if you consider the squad to be worse. The only position we're worse in is right back, and thats only a numbers thing, because both Bardsley and Hughes were terrible.

Moores, Gabby and Gardner a year wiser, Young, Petrov and Carew will have had time to settle, we have added a cracking player in NRC and added better cover in the shape of Harewood. Overall a better squad.

The squad might be a bit smaller, but it's definitely better. Getting rid of the likes of McCann, who wouldn't have even made the squad most weeks, isn't going to have a bearing on where we finish. If we can bring in a couple of defenders (eg right back and central defender) I reckon about 6th.

6 - 8th for me.

I see the usual top 4 and Spurs as having better squads and depth. Several clubs have similar squads, I feel. A mixture of quality and youth. Everton & Newcastle for definite. If we had more and quality at the back I'd be more confident of a 5/6th place.

I've gone for 5th-7th on the basis that I genuinely believe our first XI is somewhere around there.

Obviously there are other factors, but we ALL know what they are. So I'm just looking at the positive, TBH, because the bad can be improved upon, but the good is already there and can potentially get better. If that makes sense :? :D

Â