maqroll

I spent six months in Glasgow on my driver training. Was a brilliant place. Never had a problem with being English. Not even when in a karaoke bar and one of our party decided he would sing Three lions on the shirt. They do tend to try a categorise teams either Catholic or Protestant though. Apparently Villa are the Catholic club in Birmingham in their eyes. 

I spent six months in Glasgow on my driver training. Was a brilliant place. Never had a problem with being English. Not even when in a karaoke bar and one of our party decided he would sing Three lions on the shirt. They do tend to try a categorise teams either Catholic or Protestant though. Apparently Villa are the Catholic club in Birmingham in their eyes

Lol based on what? :lol: We don't do that shit down here.

My guess is it's something like:

Villa have more connections with Celtic in recent history through the likes of O'Neill, Lambert and Petrov and SHA have more connections with Rangers through McLeish (spent way more time there) and Barry Ferguson. Villa have a history with Irish players and SHA play in blue therefore Villa = Catholic and SHA = Protesteant

It's the only way somebody could come to such a conclusion with the complete absence of sectarianism in English football.

I tried to put him right and told him religion played no part in football supporting in England but he just wouldn't have it. He couldn't come up with reasons why we were the catholic club other than he had heard of the fact that some of the Birmingham Six had met on the Holte End during the run up to the Birmingham pub bombings. I basically laughed in his face at this suggestion but he would not shake his view at all. This happened in 2001 so well before MON Lambert and Petrov. Basically I just think they have to try and justify the stupidity of the old firm by believing everyone else does the same 

The irish community in Birmingham have always , for some reason , considered Villa to be the catholic club of the city . Maybe it was just an excuse to avoid the pain of following that other club .

We have a big Irish following because we have a big Irish community, our Irish supportship roots go all the way back to the 19th century. As a result of us having more Irish fans and players through a combination of said community, status and scouting as well as generally not being shit like the shit down the road that Irish support has spread even wider.

Catholicism has never come into it, I've never met an Irishman who thinks like that.

Edit - having said that, the shit do identify themselves as protestant and definitely with Rangers. So perhaps there is a factor to be found there as to why there aren't many Irish noses. Man United also have a huge Irish following, is that because they are seen as Catholic??

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Regarding mentions of Everton, they were very much the Protestant club, with Liverpool being favoured amongst the Irish catholic community of the city. This knowledge is generally considered fact...I think the Scouse might be the only lot in England where there is some sort of truth in religion albeit mildly.

Regarding other teams such as blues and villa is just a load of cobblers.

So this whole "protestant club/catholic club" thing is something bestowed on certain clubs by Scottish or Irish protestants or catholics rather than anything the clubs have done themselves.   I mean Everton has an Anglican church in the corner of their stadium and the Anglicans are emphatically neither protestant or (Roman) catholic.  

We were talking about this at work recently, worth mentioning there are a bunch of exiled weegies, an Irishman and a guy who lived in Greenock for fifteen years in on the conversation, and they all seemed to agree that people from Glasgow like to label pretty much everything as being either protestant or catholic.  Dunno whether that extends to the rest of Scotland or over the water to Ireland, but it makes sense. 

As a Hearts supporter, I can attest that the majority of the support do not self identify as protestant...Although that's what most weegies think. I remember before the 2012 Scottish Cup Final at Hampden we had to drink in a boozer before hand which was a Rangers boozer and they were wishing us good luck because since it was Hearts v Hbs, they viewed it as Diet Rangers v Diet Celtic...blueghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Â