Carles Gil

bose

I'm not expecting him to set the world alight and score loads of goals from midfield because he hasn't got that sort of record has he! However I'm expecting him to be good technically and maybe provide some decent crosses and forward passes. 

I think what he could, or should, give us is momentum. The way we are playing atm is fine....until you get to the final third of the pitch (which we don't very often these days). Gil looks to be a 'progressive' kind of player, moving the play forward at pace. That is the Villa I miss and the style I think defines us.

Please, Lambert, just let the lad play his game.

Who was keeping him out of the team at Valencia?

Is it up front with Gabby and Benteke tomorrow that people see him playing if he starts, or instead of Cleverley/Westwood in midfield? With Delph back, and Cole out it makes sense for him to be more of a straight swap with Cole, no? Or is he not really a forward like that? 

clicky

This is all of Elche's games last year, if you click on a game, then on 'Team' you can see formations. He seems to have been used there either as a wide player, or behind the forwards, but in front of Sanchez. Hopefully he'll be played there for us too. I don't think he'd be as effective in a really forward role as he's more of a passer than a scorer by the looks of it.

Edited by alreadyexists

I really think he needs to be played behind the striker but as we literally have no width at all he will most likely be played out wide in the same 4-3-3 formation. Probably in place of Weimann. I'd like to see Lambert go with a 4-2-3-1 though.

Westwood     Sanchez

N'Zogbia/Bacuna     Gil        Grealish/Gabby

Benteke

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

Hope he starts tomorrow, really looking forward to seeing him. That's not to say I'm expecting him to be amazing, but a steady, positive and promising start would be good.

Agree with that comment. I just hope the fans will give him some time. I seem to recall Sanchez got some stick early on, thankfully only on forums like this :)

• Like 1

I really think he needs to be played behind the striker but as we literally have no width at all he will most likely be played out wide in the same 4-3-3 formation. Probably in place of Weimann. I'd like to see Lambert go with a 4-2-3-1 though.

Westwood     Sanchez

Benteke

Yes, agree with all that apart from the Gabby bit. IMO he should be up front or on the bench.

Westwood     Sanchez

Benteke

Yes, agree with all that apart from the Gabby bit. IMO he should be up front or on the bench.

Yeah I agree with that as well. I just put my Lambert hat on for that bit as I don't think Grealish is quite ready to be starting games. Hopefully we can get another wide player in this window and then Gabby can be on the bench.

• Like 1

No Delph? Mistake or decision?

I think it'll be interesting to see if Delph offers more attacking threat with someone like Gil on the pitch.

For me, In a 4-2-3-1 Delph isn't quite the right fit unless you are playing a weaker team. I think if you are playing 3 proper attacking midfielders you need balance by having 2 holding midfielders, one ball winner (Sanchez) and one who can link the play from defence to attack (Westwood). Delph isn't a particularly good holding midfielder for me and should be used further forward so if he was playing it would look more like this I think.

Sanchez

Delph

N'Zogbia/Bacuna       Gil          Grealish/Gabby

Benteke

That is probably what I would play at home but away that could leave our defence far too exposed as Delph's best asset is his driving runs forward.

Yeah good point IMO Delph remains our best central midfielder.

I think Delph can break through the midfield lines but I'm hoping Gil can actually get behind their defence. Hopefully a good mix together.

And in that raises probably our biggest problem. The balance of our squad is a bit off. Delph is our best central midfielder and I think that is why we will see a 4-3-3 for a while longer as its a better all round fit for the squad compared to the 4-2-3-1 or even 4-4-2.

Â