Carles Gil

bose

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep he is terribly overrated, he is good technically but has no pace or a right foot and maybe does take too many touches just like Wilkins said, He actually reminds me of Bannan

You're going to get letters . . . 

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yep he is terribly overrated, he is good technically but has no pace or a right foot and maybe does take too many touches just like Wilkins said, He actually reminds me of Bannan

Yes he's very much in the Bannan mould without the aggression

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If you start agreeing with Ray Wilkins then time to get yourself committed.

Under Garde Gil has been forced to play wide and track back, two things he isn't suited at. He also ended up playing so deep at times he was struggling to get in any meaningful space and just kept getting bogged down.

I am not saying he is necessarily as good as we all hoped, he lacks grit and he lacks pace. But he's an attacking central midfielder who needs to play the role he has shown he can be affective in playing, which is somewhere behind the strikers or at least in some kind of free advanced role.

I expect him to be branded a 'luxury player,' someone we 'can't carry' and he'll soon disappear from the team then the squad, then the club. He'll find somewhere else and probably do alright.

The likes of Grealish along with Gil will die off if we expect them to track back and tackle, we can't expect the whole team to be hardworking cloggers, this was the Lambert way and got us no-where, well no-where except bare survival. An aspiration now beyond us anyway, so instead of losing while literally crapping ourselves the entire game why don't we try and go down fighting?

• Like 1

I dont think he is good enough to be called a luxury player. Carbone, Merse they were luxury players and had talent to back it up

Only Adama at moment I would play as a luxury player

Edited by Zatman

small left footed, good technique and has a fanatical fan base on here while not being at this level

FWIW Bannan seems to be thriving in Championship so maybe Gil might be useful next season

Edited by Zatman

I think the best way to fit in the team is if we reverted back to playing two number 10s like at the end of last season, say him in place of N'zogbia.

Of course the elephant in the room is who plays CF (in fairness the other Elephant is the other 9 players) but yeah he gets marked out of games too easily too wide and we're atricious playing 3 CMs so I don't think him infront of two will improve things much. Either 4-4-1-1 with him or Grealish off a main striker or Adama and one of Gil/Grealish off Ayew until January. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

small left footed, good technique and has a fanatical fan base on here while not being at this level

FWIW Bannan seems to be thriving in Championship so maybe Gil might be useful next season

Has Bannan played for Valencia or in La Liga? successfully i might add.. Has he scored the type of goals he has for us in his short space. Laughable comment.

Gil has been mishandled since Lambert left. Sherwood ruined his confidence and ultimately the whole squads. Gil is no different to the other players who have lost confidence. Remi Garde is utilizing him incorrectly as a winger to track back and defend. Hes a no. 10. Play him there. Its not rocket science.

The opinion because he didnt shoot with his right and he cant play with his right foot.. is just a myth. He crosses and scores perfectly well with both feet ( as seen at this club and previous clubs ). Maybe that has more to do with his lack of confidence not taking the shot.

Even David Silva would struggle creating anything when you have statues upfront. Our team has no movement and off the ball are quite pathetic. Whats he suppose to do when he has the ball (usually on the half way line). Same reason Grealish is struggling to look anything like last season. 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Under Garde Gil has been forced to play wide and track back, two things he isn't suited at. He also ended up playing so deep at times he was struggling to get in any meaningful space and just kept getting bogged down.

I am not saying he is necessarily as good as we all hoped, he lacks grit and he lacks pace. But he's an attacking central midfielder who needs to play the role he has shown he can be affective in playing, which is somewhere behind the strikers or at least in some kind of free advanced role.

I expect him to be branded a 'luxury player,' someone we 'can't carry' and he'll soon disappear from the team then the squad, then the club. He'll find somewhere else and probably do alright.

The likes of Grealish along with Gil will die off if we expect them to track back and tackle, we can't expect the whole team to be hardworking cloggers, this was the Lambert way and got us no-where, well no-where except bare survival. An aspiration now beyond us anyway, so instead of losing while literally crapping ourselves the entire game why don't we try and go down fighting?

I don't believe we can afford to play 3 (or even 2) midfielders who don't have a responsibility to track back and defend when required. It puts far too much work onto the deeper midfielders and fullbacks.  

If we are going to play Gil, Grealish and say Traore behind the striker at least two of them will have to be prepared to do some defensive work tracking runners etc.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I don't believe we can afford to play 3 (or even 2) midfielders who don't have a responsibility to track back and defend when required. It puts far too much work onto the deeper midfielders and fullbacks.  

If we are going to play Gil, Grealish and say Traore behind the striker at least two of them will have to be prepared to do some defensive work tracking runners etc.

We cant play them all. Grealish can sit on the bench until he sorts himself out. Gil behind Traore and Gestede. Let Traore play upfront and Gil can sit behind them both. I just imagine Gestede flicking balls for Traore to run and put pressure on defenders. Westwood Lyden and Gueye in central midfield.

Edited by KSV

11 hours ago, KSV said:

Has Bannan played for Valencia or in La Liga? successfully i might add.. Has he scored the type of goals he has for us in his short space. Laughable comment.

I dont understand this comment especially the Valencia/La Liga comment. Luna has played La Liga doesnt make him some superior player

Needs to play in a more traditional number 10 role. He's wasted in a wider position, it's not the sort of area of the pitch he thrives on, he doesn't have the pace to play out wide and his energy is drained by doing too much of the donkey work.

He should play behind the forward in a much more 'freer' role. 

• Like 3

The only role he is suited to is the number 10 role, he would be great in that position without too much defending to do. The problem we have is that nobody else behind him is actually capable of being useful in the premier league so it's difficult to use Gil. I mean you can't say to him have a free role there is no need to worry as you have Gueye,Veretout and Sanchez behind you can you? They are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot when it comes to defensive duties

• Like 3

Â