Carles Gil

bose

Judging on his cameo appearence against Sunderland and Sunday's game (I'm not considering last season because the whole team were embarassing)  it looks like Gil gets more involved throughout the game, doesn't go missing as much. But that's something like 90 minutes combined, so it's quite early to judge.

He is also 3 years older than Grealish, that must be noted.

I think Gil is actually better than Grealish.

He might not be in a few years time, but both are our most creative players and we need both in the team as often as possible.

Steady on.  I think he definitely has the edge in the shooting boots department and I agree that we're pretty much talking about 2 of our best players here, but I think in every other aspect of the game Jack would run rings around him.

Personally disagree - and that's no disrespect to Mr. Grealish who will turn out to be a fantastic footballer.  However, Gil has a couple of years on him and is technically perhaps one of the best players I've seen at Villa.  I guess this maybe comes from having a "Spanish upbringing" of the the game.  I know that sounds huge, but his control, movement and passing are superb.

Grealish will get there, I'm sure of that, but Gil has that extra wow factor at the moment.

• Like 1

The continued speculation as to why he was unused at the end of last season is understandable because it is quite difficult to to figure out. I for one am willing to accept Sherwood's explanation simply because we'll likely never find out if there's any other. And because his job was to keep us up, and he did so. But I have always thought football was a bit simpler, in that your best players win you matches, so your best players should be playing. But it's in the past now, and in the present it is starting to look like he is a very good player and one that is going to be given a lot of game time (if he stays fit) which for me is all positive. Now we just need to get some results...

But it depends on the interpretation of what is best.....I suspect you are referring to expansive players like him.....But some would say that Paul McGrath is one of the best  Villa players of all time.....and he was a defender as we all know.

It is very subjective what best  players means.

Both exciting players....Gil has the advantage of experience.....I think he has more guile than Jack....Jack relies more on pace......all a matter of opinion.

What I will be looking for in future games, is how each player can sustain the performance, for me that will go a long way to determine who is the best.

Still say he's the best footballer at the club.  Comfortable on the ball and helps us control possession as well as being one of the only players capable of doing something up top.  No coincidence for me that we fell apart after he left the field Sunday.

Don't think we can afford to play Gil and Grealish in the same side 

We sacrifice too much defensively i shudder at the prospect of seeing Sanchez and Westwood again as a midfield pair only as a three for the rest of the season please

Don't think we can afford to play Gil and Grealish in the same side 

We sacrifice too much defensively i shudder at the prospect of seeing Sanchez and Westwood again as a midfield pair only as a three for the rest of the season please

worked for 3/4 of the game.. they didn't know how to handle them until they made their changes. I think it will work alot better when Gueye returns.

Edited by KSV

Personally I think Grealish is a level above Gil - Gil is great to have around the squad for when Grealish needs a rest or Traore is injured - I think there's room for both in a 4-2-3-1 but I don't think there's room for Traore too. When Traore is fit I'd drop Gil, but it's great to have options.

I thought he had a poor opening thirty minutes against Leicester but improved markedly after that - we need to give him more football to get the best out of him.

Personally I think Grealish is a level above Gil - Gil is great to have around the squad for when Grealish needs a rest or Traore is injured - I think there's room for both in a 4-2-3-1 but I don't think there's room for Traore too. When Traore is fit I'd drop Gil, but it's great to have options.

I thought he had a poor opening thirty minutes against Leicester but improved markedly after that - we need to give him more football to get the best out of him.

Cant agree with that post although nothing against your opinion but I think Gil is the most technically gifted player at the club and on previous performances deserves to be starting at the moment. I think he is a real class act and won't be surprised if one of the top clubs come sniffing for him soon. Definitely in my starting 11 if fit.

Cant agree with that post although nothing against your opinion but I think Gil is the most technically gifted player at the club and on previous performances deserves to be starting at the moment. I think he is a real class act and won't be surprised if one of the top clubs come sniffing for him soon. Definitely in my starting 11 if fit.

Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, and I think he'll get games - but I think Grealish loses something out on the left and I'd rather keep him centrally - Gil is an excellent player who wouldn't look out of place in a good team - but I think both Traore and Grealish have the ability to be a little more.

Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, and I think he'll get games - but I think Grealish loses something out on the left and I'd rather keep him centrally - Gil is an excellent player who wouldn't look out of place in a good team - but I think both Traore and Grealish have the ability to be a little more.

I disagree as well. I think Gil is the best player at the club and Grealish is at his best on the left anyway. Grealish seems to thrive when he has time which he rarely gets in the CAM spot so he would drift to the left. Gil did the same but he would drift to the right. I think Grealish-Gil-Traore will do well, but I worry that Traore is a bit too raw. At the moment he is an X-factor but I think when teams realize he is all pace, then he will have a hard time for a little bit. Very few wingers still get by solely on pace. 

Â