Carles Gil

bose

Excellent goal but needed to come off. Can't believe that idiot picked other players ahead of him last season. 

Was always a brainless decision despite some on here defending it. 

Or maybe, just maybe, Gil was settling in and those 'defending' the decision could just consider the possibility that sherwood didn't want to throw a player with little grasp of English, settling into the team, into a relegation battle.

Or maybe sherwood is a complete idiot who is now being forced to play someone that he hates.

Excellent goal but needed to come off. Can't believe that idiot picked other players ahead of him last season. 

Was always a brainless decision despite some on here defending it. 

Or maybe, just maybe, Gil was settling in and those 'defending' the decision could just consider the possibility that sherwood didn't want to throw a player with little grasp of English, settling into the team, into a relegation battle.

Or maybe sherwood is a complete idiot who is now being forced to play someone that he hates.

Or maybe his choice was indeed idiotic back then and he then realized what a good player he actually had.

I think a lot of people on here have forgotten what a good creative midfielder is or does

people just want hard working cloggers who 'put in a good shift' but have no actual impact on the game's outcome whatsoever, other than we don't lose by as much....

for twas the Lambert way, effort over skill

ironically Leicester played more like we did under Lambert when we played well, sad that didn't happen very often.

To be fair to Lambert he did seem to want to bring in this kind of player for a long time but was always priced out of it, but he was a broken man by the time he could get to use one.  Hoolahan was another one he wanted and is having a very good start to the season with Norwich.  I have absolutely no idea why Gil wasn't worth a place on the bench at the end of last season, it was utterly barmy.

Gil didn't need to 'settle' in at all, that's a load of nonsense. Last season he put in very good performances against Liverpool, Chelsea and Bournemouth. That alone demonstrates that he wasn't having issues getting up to speed and 'settling'. He wasn't selected out of pure stupidity on Sherwood's behalf.

Pure stupidity from Sherwood is a bit rough... after all, Tim was brought in to try and keep us up, and the teams he picked successfully did that with room to spare.

But I do agree that Gil should be a regular starter this year.

• Like 2

The continued speculation as to why he was unused at the end of last season is understandable because it is quite difficult to to figure out. I for one am willing to accept Sherwood's explanation simply because we'll likely never find out if there's any other. And because his job was to keep us up, and he did so. But I have always thought football was a bit simpler, in that your best players win you matches, so your best players should be playing. But it's in the past now, and in the present it is starting to look like he is a very good player and one that is going to be given a lot of game time (if he stays fit) which for me is all positive. Now we just need to get some results...

Edited by 82Villan

God, is this last season stuff still going on?  It's done.  We stayed up.  Move on.

Now Gil is featuring in a much more exciting, attacking line up and looking like the player we all hoped he would be.  Let's see him continue to progress, score some more and help us get the results we deserve.  Starting that on Saturday would be good.

This guy is the Spanish version of Gary Gardner

Can he string more than 2 games together?

That's a bit unfair on Gil, he has a very very long way to go before he is even close to GG's level of absense

• Like 2

Hasn't trained yet and looks a doubt for Sat.

Do we ever have a player who goes off injured who plays the next game. It seems like every 'knock' a player has rules him out for months.

Gil will be a big miss on Saturday.

I don't think he will be, Sanchez, Gana and Westwood will be the midfield 3 and Gabby Sinclair and Grealish will be the front 3

I think he wasn't used because Sherwood didn't think he was the best choice for the relegation battle.

I think it was completely the wrong decision, but I understand why it was made.

I always found this argument quite strange considering Grealish featured a lot under Sherwood last season. Very similar players who have similar strengths and weaknesses. Surely Gil was just as good or bad a choice for a relegation battle as Jack. But anyway we stayed up so onwards and upwards....

I hope he will be fit for Saturday. It will be a typical Pulis performance and the only two players who can unlock a defence are Jack and Carles. With one being out, they will just double up on the other and resort to route one.

Let's face it, it doesn't matter if/why/when Gil didn't start under Sherwood last season.  He kept us up, that's all we wanted.

What we want now is an exciting team to watch with our best players playing - one of those is CARLES GIL, and I think Sherwood knows it.

I don't know what I'd like to see us play with everyone fit, though, that's the problem.  Gil, Grealish and Traore are all exciting players who I'd like to see start... but then I think you have to go with Agbonlahor or Sinclair ahead of them and are either of those a good enough lone striker?  Not so sure myself.

• Like 3

I think Gil is actually better than Grealish.

He might not be in a few years time, but both are our most creative players and we need both in the team as often as possible.

Steady on.  I think he definitely has the edge in the shooting boots department and I agree that we're pretty much talking about 2 of our best players here, but I think in every other aspect of the game Jack would run rings around him.

I think Gil is actually better than Grealish.

He might not be in a few years time, but both are our most creative players and we need both in the team as often as possible.

Steady on.  I think he definitely has the edge in the shooting boots department and I agree that we're pretty much talking about 2 of our best players here, but I think in every other aspect of the game Jack would run rings around him.

Fair enough.

I think it will be easier to judge when they both play together more. Signs were positive against Leicester.

Â