Carles Gil

bose

It's weird because there was universal praise (putting it mildly) for his performances before Sherwood arrived. You would think then that there would also be a consensus in puzzlement surrounding Gil's prolonged absence from the pitch but alas.

It's weird because there was universal praise (putting it mildly) for his performances before Sherwood arrived. You would think then that there would also be a consensus in puzzlement surrounding Gil's prolonged absence from the pitch but alas.

I think the problem is that people take wanting to see more of Gil as a criticism of Sherwood, so they immediately jump to the manager's defence.

Which is fair enough. There was an element of criticising the manager early on, but especially now it is possible to rate and back the manager and still want to see more of this player.

The problem seems to be that a few people still take it as a slight on Sherwood when it really isn't.

• Like 1

Ok one more;

The reason I am personally not puzzled is because I don't have enough information to be puzzled by. Life is too short to frustrate myself with something like this.

Talk about siege mentally is ironic as it seems to be the people referencing that post that have that mentality.

That was my point yes. No irony involved at all.

None of these posts seem to be about Gil anymore, so with that I'm out.

The irony was that you suggested that the people who liked that post were the ones showing the siege mentality, whereas I think its the people who keep bringing that post up to defend the manager (despite him not needing defending as hardly anyone is criticising him) that are showing the siege mentality.

Talk about siege mentally is ironic as it seems to be the people referencing that post that have that mentality.

That was my point yes. No irony involved at all.

None of these posts seem to be about Gil anymore, so with that I'm out.

The irony was that you suggested that the people who liked that post were the ones showing the siege mentality, whereas I think its the people who keep bringing that post up to defend the manager (despite him not needing defending as hardly anyone is criticising him) that are showing the siege mentality.

I did not suggest that. You have assumed that and I don't know why. I agree with you.

Ok one more;

The reason I am personally not puzzled is because I don't have enough information to be puzzled by. Life is too short to frustrate myself with something like this.

Not even a little curious that a player who has shown this kind of ability (against top class opposition) isn't even afforded the time to be an 87th min impact sub? Amusingly, the only comment on that video sounds like what people are confusing genuine discussion and speculation in this thread for:

absolute joke how he's not in the villa team just mind boogling how tim sherwood dosnt play him.another villa player who should be starting is niclas helenius would prefer to see him then agbonlahor.latest news ive heard on carles gil is that southampton and arsenal are both ready to offer £8 for him dont know if its true.

:lol:

I liked that infamous post too. Hands up, I was wrong.

However, as others have said, it was a while ago now and when things were looking only 'okay' under Sherwood.

Right now, it's one guy making conspiracy theory posts, yet the thread is mostly clogged with people making out everyone is doing that.

Here's (probably... hopefully... whatever) the rational view of it. These factors can be mutually exclusive without people getting angry at those 'questioning the manager'

1) We are doing well at the moment.

2) Jack Grealish looks like a real rising star

3) Gil looked good for us when he played

4) Gil isn't playing at the moment

Just because you're puzzled at number 4 doesn't mean you disagree with number 1, which is where the confusion seems to lie. People take number 4 to mean that people are questioning Sherwood. When in reality, it doesn't mean that at all.

Last point (I promise), the posts like 'we would have won if Gil was in goal' are so worse than the conspiracy theory(ies). 

Edited by StefanAVFC

I can see the logic of Joe Cole because if I'm trying to close out a game and win it nobody in our squad has more experience of winning than Joe. You see how effortlessly the top teams close out games and the difference to the heart attack inducing games we win! That doesnt happen by accident its game intelligence and nouce so I'm generally happy when I see Joe come on late if we need to protect something.

However as I said before Gill offers more for me in virtually every area than N'Zogbia. I think Tim thought Charlie would get some goals and keep us up but the player of 2015 is very different to past vintages.

Edited by villaglint

Is him coming on in the 85th minute instead of Joe Cole causing disruption though?

Not complaining or questioning any decisions, just asking.

Has Joe Cole coming on in the 85th minute caused us any problems?

Does Gil coming on in the 85th minute do anything other than cheer up those who are saddened by his lack of game time as of late?

We're in a relegation scrap, it's pretty clear to see that Sherwood is trying to get us out of that scrap and uses the likes of Joe Cole as a senior player with experience in abundance in the dying minutes of games to try and see games out.

We need points on the board, I genuinely believe that when/if we're safe whether it be this season or next season, Gil will play his part under Sherwood. The lad has only been here for a few months and people are ranting and raving about him leaving, madness.

Edited by samjp26

It isn't just one person at all. We had several people earlier in the thread saying they'd prefer Gil to still be here next season instead of Sherwood.

That was like 2 months ago and was one post.

Seemingly you can't mention wanting to see Gil without somebody referencing that post.

Want to see more of Gil and you get a barrage of posts about how you're crazy for believing conspiracy theories and how dare you question the manager and you want Grealish dropped etc

A genuine "LOL" at the two months ago, it was the 8th of April!  3 weeks ago!

So for the first time in years we get a product of the youth scheme who looks to have genuine potential, who may get to be as good as, say, Brian Little, and who is already combining excitingly with players like Delph and Benteke, and people are wanting hiim to be dropped in favour of Gil.

Don't really understand.

People don't want Grealish dropped for Gil.

You've literally made that up.

I think it's a bit bizarre to claim I have "literally" made that up, when I was responding to this post:

Basically at this point TS prefers Grealish over him 

I hope he gets a look in at some point as he did look pretty decent

Now, let's try & work this out. Poster notes TS prefers Grealish to Gil but hopes Gil will get a look in. How would Gil therefore get a look in?

Oh, by dropping Grealish. #simplelogic.

One final try.

Gil looked good in a Lambert side that was demoralised, confused about the type of football it was being asked to play, playing aimless sideways-passing football for much of the time and sinking fast down the league. He did score a good goal against Bournemouth in the Cup but in the league the results from his 5 appearances were 0-2, 0-5, 1-2, 0-2, 1-2, so it's not like he had single-handedly turned around our season or anything.

When Sherwood arrived, he quite rightly said every player had a clean slate and he would pick the side best able to keep us up. Gil did start in his first match and was quite poor, so was pulled off after 58 minutes. I'm sure no-one really believes that the coaching staff haven't been encouraging Gil to play the sort of pacy, arttacking, passing football that Sherwood wants - delivering those passing triangles - and it is bonkers to imagine that Sherwood wouldn't pick the players who are delivering this new style the best. 

So the only conclusion can be that Gil hasn't quite matched up to the manager's requirements and so isn't getting picked. For whatever reason he isn't training well enough, we don't know and can be pretty clear we won't be told as that would be a bad breach of team confidentiality.

I would like to think that Gil will fight to gain form and try to win his way back into the side but we will have to see. Stranger things have happened in the history of football.

Edited by briny_ear

Â