Carles Gil

bose

Sherwood can't really lose with this one. When Gil does get some game time, if he is rubbish then that is why he hasn't been playing, if he is good then the timing wasn't right before but now it is. The only way he can really lose is if he never plays him and then gets rid.

Don't be silly.

If you start playing someone and they're really good then you should have been playing them all along!

Like Okore?

;)

Exactly my point.

And Grealish. We should have been playing him since he was 6 years old FFS!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Stranger things have happened but I can't see him leaving in the Summer. He only just got here and right now we are in a scrap at the bottom, I myself have been a bit confused but it is true - results are what count. When we're out if this scrap, which I think we will be in a few weeks time, Gil will be integrated into Tim's playing style.

The only thing thats " Baffling " is why you seem to think im moaning?. It was just a though on why hes not getting any game time even before this spell of good form.

With all due respect i think you should wind your neck in and relax a bit.

It was seriously the most stupid thing I've read on here in years.  You think he isn't playing Gil in case he scores lots of goals and people say that it's only because of a master stroke signing by Lambert scoring lots of goals?

A bit like Benteke you mean?

I kinda know where he is coming from. We know Sherwood has a huge ego, an maybe he wants to prove he can do what a experienced manager like Lambert couldn't do, with the same players he had. Introducing Gil may make people think Gil has brought the winning formula, an im sure Sherwood wants 100% of the praise.

I think this is being massively overthought.

Sherwood's reputation hinges on one thing. Keep us in the league - he will pick a team based on who he thinks is most likely to deliver that and in Sherwood's opinion Gil is not the best option. Perhaps he doesn't track back enough given that the team now push forward in numbers. Perhaps he doesn't perform in training. Perhaps Sherwood has had the revolutionary idea that Grealish and N'Zogbia are better options at number 10.

I personally don't give a stuff if GIl never plays for us again, so long as we stay in the PL and give Arsenal a bloody good go in the FA Cup -  I'm not really sure where the idea that Gil is the answer to all our problems has come from.

I personally don't give a stuff if GIl never plays for us again, so long as we stay in the PL and give Arsenal a bloody good go in the FA Cup -  I'm not really sure where the idea that Gil is the answer to all our problems has come from.

Like I keep saying, I don't think many people, if any, think he is the solution to our problems.

I just don't see how anyone can think it's not a tiny bit strange that someone who looked like one of our best players when he played suddenly isn't getting a look in.

There's nothing wrong with that. We're doing well without him so we can't complain. But people are just curious. I've sai dbefore, but even if the explanation is that Gil hasn't been good enough, that in itself is still quite strange as it would represent quite a plummet in ability/performance.

That idea has probably come from him being absolutely class in the vast majority of small chances he was given.

Him not playing doesn't bother me too much as we are playing well and the players currently ahead of him (such as Grealish) are clearly benefiting from the game time.

However it is frustrating me the amount of people being ridiculed on this thread for merely wanting to see more of a player who was by far our best performer in a number of appearances.

• Like 4

Who has been ridiculed for wanting Gill to play or be given a chance?

The people who have been ridiculed are those saying they'd rather Gill be here next season than Sherwood or those creating ridiculous theories to have a go at Sherwood for not picking him.

That deserves to be ridiculed. Wanting him to have a chance does not.

• Like 1

Gil looked good for the majority of his playing time, but Sherwood has picked a team which is pulling us out of the relegation mire, and has put us into an FA final, without Gil, and whatever the reason for not playing him, we cannot have any real complaint.

My suggestion would be that he perhaps feels he is not strong enough at this stage, as I did think he was a little bit lightweight when he played.

• Like 2

Gil looked good for the majority of his playing time, but Sherwood has picked a team which is pulling us out of the relegation mire, and has put us into an FA final, without Gil, and whatever the reason for not playing him, we cannot have any real complaint.

My suggestion would be that he perhaps feels he is not strong enough at this stage, as I did think he was a little bit lightweight when he played.

I remember his performances against Hull and especially Stoke as being pretty poor, he got hauled off early doors against Stoke and since then we have played well especially in an attacking sense. I don't think we miss him personally

I remember his performances against Hull and especially Stoke as being pretty poor, he got hauled off early doors against Stoke and since then we have played well especially in an attacking sense. I don't think we miss him personally

I think the team has a decent balance to it so we probably don't miss him presently, but when when we need a sub who can make an impact or keep the ball then I would say he is a good option. He is the only player we have who can keep the ball for long spells and dribble past a lot of players (Grealish is getting there), so at the very least should be coming off the bench rather than Cole or Weimann.

He has no God given right to start but I think he's shown enough to be given a chance, whether that chance is now or next season it doesn't matter as long as we aren't losing.

Edited by VillanousOne

When Kenny Dalglish made Sherwood one of his first signings in the Jack Walker big-spending era, he didn't play Sherwood very much at all at first, and saved him until he thought he was ready.  Sherwood then went on to captain the side that came runners-up, then won the Premier League.  Perhaps that experience has rubbed off on Sherwood.

• Like 1

I'm not so concerned about him not playing at the moment as the team is playing well and scoring goals (although I'd always rather see him than Weimann or NZog), but what does worry me is that we could end up losing a hugely talented player in the summer for seemingly no reason at all, or at least no reason which we are party to as supporters. I think that would be a real shame.

We're playing exceptionally well with Grealish as a number 10 so at the very least he needs competition and cover there, and we all know Joe Cole isn't a reliable solution.

When Kenny Dalglish made Sherwood one of his first signings in the Jack Walker big-spending era, he didn't play Sherwood very much at all at first, and saved him until he thought he was ready. Sherwood then went on to captain the side that came runners-up, then won the Premier League. Perhaps that experience has rubbed off on Sherwood.

I agree....Gil for captain next season!
  • Like 1

I want him to play if for no other reason than that we owe him better after the way he's played for us so far.

Not that he's likely to get a chance under this useless clown of a manager (I'm being 110% serious, possibly)

Actually not sure if serious on either point. We owe him nothing.

• Like 2

The only thing thats " Baffling " is why you seem to think im moaning?. It was just a though on why hes not getting any game time even before this spell of good form.

With all due respect i think you should wind your neck in and relax a bit.

It was seriously the most stupid thing I've read on here in years.  You think he isn't playing Gil in case he scores lots of goals and people say that it's only because of a master stroke signing by Lambert scoring lots of goals?

A bit like Benteke you mean?

I kinda know where he is coming from. We know Sherwood has a huge ego, an maybe he wants to prove he can do what a experienced manager like Lambert couldn't do, with the same players he had. Introducing Gil may make people think Gil has brought the winning formula, an im sure Sherwood wants 100% of the praise.

I have read and said some outlandish things about football over the years but they suddenly all seem utterly mundane and sensible after reading this.

Â