Carles Gil

bose

17 hours ago, a m ole said:

No, it literally is insignificant.

tell me, was the inclusion of Carles Gil the only difference between those games? How much influence did he have in the goals? Who else was and wasn’t playing for Deportivo, and do they correlate with Gil’s inclusion? Who was playing for the opposition?

Theres thousands of mitigating circumstances, opportunity for coincidence all within such a tiny sample size that render your statistics completely irrelevant.

It’s Sunday League ‘Played 1 Won 1 100% Record’ stato-bullshit.

Exactly this. I've always hated those "Win percentage with and without" stats.

There are so many variables that they are practically meaningless, especially with such a small sample size.

Fortunately, nobody other than people on messageboards trying to convince people that shit players are actually not shit pay any attention to them.

8 hours ago, Skills said:

when does his loan end?  could he be available for selection for the play offs for us??

Available or not, he'll never play for us again.

1 minute ago, Michael118 said:

Under Steve Bruce he won't - our manager is allergic to players with high potential.

You're delusional if you actually believe that.

Gil won't play for us because he said he had no intention of playing for us in the Championship.
And he's not good enough to play for us in the Premier League if we have any sort of ambition.

It's nothing to do with Bruce not liking players with high potential. That's ludicrous. That's just a cop out excuse when the manager doesn't play a player who isn't good enough, but you don't agree with the decision.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think he's a decent player and he has good technique but equally deficient in other key areas. When we signed him he was somewhat of a 'prospect', he was presumably receiving fairly low wages, signed for a small fee and well, it didn't work, was worth the punt at the time IMO. Not beyond the realms of possibility that he could be a good player in this league but he doesn't want to be here so there's no real debate to be had. 

Exactly this.

Plus, it's nice to have bright sparks in season after season of utter turd.  CARLES GIL, whilst not being a brilliant player at all, managed to score some beauts.  I thank him for that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Exactly this.

Plus, it's nice to have bright sparks in season after season of utter turd.  CARLES GIL, whilst not being a brilliant player at all, managed to score some beauts.  I thank him for that.

I think it was his debut where he came on as a sub against Liverpool and gave them a real run around, looked like a really good player. Sadly he very rarely demonstrated that level of performance after.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think it was his debut where he came on as a sub against Liverpool and gave them a real run around, looked like a really good player. Sadly he very rarely demonstrated that level of performance after.

I don't particularly wonder where we'd be if we hadn't lost 3-2 to Leicester, but I remember Grealish and Gil both scoring lovely goals against them and thinking "yeah, OK, maybe we're not so shit after all!".  Implosion struck.  We all know what happened after.

But, y'know, for 60 minutes I thought we had the makings of a decent side.

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You're delusional if you actually believe that.

Gil won't play for us because he said he had no intention of playing for us in the Championship.
And he's not good enough to play for us in the Premier League if we have any sort of ambition.

It's nothing to do with Bruce not liking players with high potential. That's ludicrous. That's just a cop out excuse when the manager doesn't play a player who isn't good enough, but you don't agree with the decision.

So Steve Bruce is good enough for us if we get promoted but Carles Gil isn't? :lol:

If we still had Adama Traore when Bruce was appointed, do you think he would still be here now? Bruce more than likely would have sold him just like he sold Amavi, Bacuna, Westwood, Kozak, Ayew, Cissokho and Baker and loaned out Gardner so he can fund players who are more on his wavelength - Taylor, Elmohamady, Whelan, Lansbury, Bjarnason, Hourihane, Hogan and Samba.

Bruce hasn't got a clue when it comes to getting the best out of underperforming players with higher ceilings. Gil is too creative, too dynamic, too intelligent, too technical and too unpredictable to fit into a Steve Bruce team. Like attracts like in this world and Steve Bruce and Carles Gil are worlds apart.

Edited by Michael118

On 22/03/2018 at 15:08, a m ole said:

It’s Sunday League ‘Played 1 Won 1 100% Record’ stato-bullshit

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Carles Gil and Adama Traore - played together for a total of just 69 mins, yet still managed to link up for a goal like this:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Doesn’t he just play the odd sub appearance for a struggling La Liga side (Deportivo)? I thought he was ok, but he’s not done well there either (mainly sub appearances and the side are doing very poorly).

He was leading La Liga for average assists half way through last season and "tearing up La Liga" according to the Birmingham Mail last February. Since then, he's had 2 major operations and only made his return in December. In June, Pepe Mel was reportedly "calling him almost every day" to convince to stay with Deportivo as Villareal and Real Betis were both interested in signing him. Seedorf was appointed their manager on Feb 5 and he's played a total of 6 mins since he arrived.

Carles Gil is tearing up La Liga and is as good as Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi - sort of...

Matching the best

Feb 3, 2017

Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are the best two players in the world. 

A statement that not too many people would disagree with.

They regularly lay siege to defenses in La Liga, but now it seems they have some competition from the most unlikeliest of places. 

Yes, folks, Carles Gil, take a bow.

The Villa midfielder is on loan at Deportivo until the end of the season, and it's going pretty well.

It hasn't been all plain sailing but he's starting to feature and make an impact.

So much so that he has the same number of assists as Lionel Messi and MORE than Christiano Ronaldo.

Of course he has a long way to go before he can truly stand alongside them.

We are being a little tongue in cheek.

But still the facts speak for themselves!

It won't be a surprise to Villa players though, when he did showcase his skills at Villa Park, he was sublime.

Those glimpses should have been more prevalent, some fans still see him as having a future at the club, as unlikely as that now seems.

POLL

Would you want Carles Gil back?

Yes - 89%

No - 11%

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-how-carles-gil-12551984

Edited by Michael118

Â