Carles Gil

bose

Indeed, Gil opens up spaces for other players by dribbling past one or two every time he gets on the ball! Getting past Matic, who to be honest has been awful this season, is pretty hard and there is only three players in our squad capable of doing that. Traore, Grealish and Gil. Maybe even Gana. I want Sanchez and Gana as holding midfielders and Grealish on the left, Traore on the right with Gil playing behind Gestede or Ayew. 

Who am I kidding tho, never gonna happen. Gil will end up on the bench with N'Zogbia starting. 

Don't think there is any personal vendetta against Gil, just think Tim hasn't a clue what to do right now and playing "this sort of player" is seen as a gamble or an issue (which it really shouldn't be). Hope we see him and Jack playing together again soon, they work well together.

His effort against Leicester was fantastic though, surely? May not have been good enough to win but it was better than some of the other candidates definitely.

In fairness if you get the ball served up like he did with no defenders on you and you put your foot through it and it goes in it looks way better than it is

Sorry to drag this comment back up, but having re-watched the goal on Ash's link below, Gil did anything but put his foot through it. It's a wonderfully controlled finish.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/webm/5i98.webm

Does this then gets benched

But according to wilkins he's a poor man's spanish midfielder who takes too many touches

Sherwood deserves manager of the year

To think I and others were given **** in spades for daring to say gil > Sherwood last season. Doesn't sound so stupid now does it. DC mainly I remember.

To be fair to DC, I do think it was a bit of a silly comment at the time, even though it's something I completely agree with now.

What is amusing is how much DC kept referring back to it over and over again for pointscoring purposes, but then disappeared from VT when it started going tits up for Sherwood.

To think I and others were given **** in spades for daring to say gil > Sherwood last season. Doesn't sound so stupid now does it. DC mainly I remember.

To be fair to DC, I do think it was a bit of a silly comment at the time, even though it's something I completely agree with now.

What is amusing is how much DC kept referring back to it over and over again for pointscoring purposes, but then disappeared from VT when it started going tits up for Sherwood.

The poor fella is just passionate and misunderstood.

• Like 1

Indeed, Gil opens up spaces for other players by dribbling past one or two every time he gets on the ball! Getting past Matic, who to be honest has been awful this season, is pretty hard and there is only three players in our squad capable of doing that. Traore, Grealish and Gil. Maybe even Gana. I want Sanchez and Gana as holding midfielders and Grealish on the left, Traore on the right with Gil playing behind Gestede or Ayew. 

Who am I kidding tho, never gonna happen. Gil will end up on the bench with N'Zogbia starting. 

The problem with starting Gil is that you have to get the midfield right, playing Gil in a middle 3 leaves us too exposed. I think he loses a bit if he is played out wide in a front 3 too. Im not to sure where you fit him in

I don't think we're anymore exposed with Gil in a midfield 3 than we are with anybody else playing the attacking role. He tracks back and defends more than Grealish, for example, but if we were playing Grealish in that role we'd all be fine with it.

I don't think we're anymore exposed with Gil in a midfield 3 than we are with anybody else playing the attacking role. He tracks back and defends more than Grealish, for example, but if we were playing Grealish in that role we'd all be fine with it.

I wouldn't play Grealish in a middle 3

to play Gil in a midfield 3 you would have to play Sanchez

I think any two of Westwood, Sanchez, Gana and Veretout would work with Gil or Grealish as long as they were given the remit of being defensive.

Â