The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

I cant see where it says how many people were asked and cant find the original article on the bbc either.

How many of those who agreed with the motive (being offended by insults to the prophet) agreed that innocent civillians should pay for it. Id say 0

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Well in that case we should destroy them all.

actually it got me thinking ... All the Muslim terrorists have had a beard  ...and hipsters also have beards

so if we just kill everyone with a beard everybody wins  

tomorrow I'll solve the Israel v Palestine conflict  

• Like 2

It's quite an ambiguous question.

I imagine a lot of mulsims think publishing images of Mohammed is very VERY wrong, and probably "sympathise" with the terrorists in that respect. I.e. "I agree with their motive".

But as Gabbana says, I doubt many of those who said they "Sympathise" would agree with the attacks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

I cant see where it says how many people were asked and cant find the original article on the bbc either.

How many of those who agreed with the motive (being offended by insults to the prophet) agreed that innocent civillians should pay for it. Id say 0

Wrong. 1 in 10 actually. 

It's in the link and quite easy to find on the bbc website via a quick Google search.

In regards to the 'point' being made, I personally find it a deeply worrying statistic especially as it was a survey conducted in the UK.

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

actually it got me thinking ... All the Muslim terrorists have had a beard  ...and hipsters also have beards

so if we just kill everyone with a beard everybody wins  

tomorrow I'll solve the Israel v Palestine conflict  

Think you've already covered it with the beard thing :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, donnie said:

Wrong. 1 in 10 actually. 

It's in the link and quite easy to find on the bbc website via a quick Google search.

In regards to the 'point' being made, I personally find it a deeply worrying statistic especially as it was a survey conducted in the UK.

Not really. The question you're referring to is also quite vague.

"Organisations which publish images of Mohammed deserve to be attacked".

Again, I can see somebody agreeing with that statement, but completely and totally disagreeing with the actual attacks that took place. "Attack" could mean plenty of things.

I bet if the questions was "Do you agree with the Charlie Hebdo attacks?" The answer would be an overwhelming no.

the BBC pol is here

The majority of British Muslims oppose violence against people who publish images depicting the Prophet Muhammad, a poll for the BBC suggests.

The survey also indicates most have no sympathy with those who want to fight against Western interests.

But 27% of the 1,000 Muslims polled by ComRes said they had some sympathy for the motives behind the Paris attacks.

Almost 80% said they had found it deeply offensive when images depicting the Prophet were published.

Click here to get the full survey results.

Poll of British Muslims

95%

feel a loyalty to Britain

93%

say they should obey British laws

• 46% feel prejudice against Islam makes it difficult being Muslim in Britain

• 78% are offended when images of the Prophet Muhammad are published

• 11% feel sympathy for people who want to fight against western interests

BBC

Asked if acts of violence against those who publish images of the Prophet Muhammad can "never be justified", 68% agreed that such violence was never justifiable.

But 24% disagreed with the statement, while the rest replied "don't know" or refused to answer.

The poll, carried out between 26 January and 20 February, suggests 32% of British Muslims were not surprised by January's attacks on the Charlie Hebdo satirical magazine, which published depictions of the Prophet, and a kosher supermarket in Paris.

Chart showing 27% had some sympathy for Charlie Hebdo attackers
Chart showing 46% agree that Britain is becoming less tolerant of Muslims

The poll also suggests that almost half of British Muslims believe they face discrimination because of their faith and that Britain is becoming less tolerant, while the same percentage feel prejudice against Islam makes it difficult being a Muslim in the UK.

Some 35% said they felt most British people did not trust Muslims, and a fifth said they thought Western liberal society could never be compatible with Islam.

Of those polled, 95% felt a loyalty to Britain, while 93% believed that Muslims in Britain should always obey British laws.

Nearly 20% of Muslim women questioned said they felt unsafe in Britain, compared with 10% of men.

• However, two thirds (68%) say acts of violence against those who publish images of the Prophet can never be justified while a quarter (24%) disagree.
  • Muslim women are more likely than men to feel unsafe in Britain.
  • One in nine (11%) British Muslims feel sympathetic towards people who want to fight against western interests while 85% do not.
  • Half (49%) believe Muslim clerics preaching that violence against the west can be justified are out of touch with mainstream Muslim opinion, while 45% disagree.

• Like 1

'Some sympathy for the motives' isn't 'they should all die' is it?

Somebody (person A) publishes a horrible, provocative picture of somebody's (person b ) loved one in a national paper. 

Person a attacks person b. 

You ask 1000 people whether they 'sympathise with the motives' (using the same language) and I bet a hell of a lot would say yes. 

Not a perfect analogy but the Muslims weren't asked 'do you think those people deserved to die?'

they were asked about sympathising with a motive. 

If somebody killed somebody for sleeping with their wife. I'd sympathise with their motive but disagree with their act. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

On the flip side Pete, I find it reassuring that such a large percentage directly disobey their faith by totally condemning violence even if somebody has committed such a cardinal sin (in the eyes of their religion)

• Like 1

'One in 9 feel sympathetic towards people who want to fight against Western intrests'

Not sure what to make of that. Does that mean 1 in 9 are sympathic towards groups like ISIS? How else can that be interpreted?

Most damming of all the survey if that is the case.

I know what you're saying, but I don't. It's kind of the norm, kind of what I'd expect. it's like I don't find it reassuring that (makes up random thing) 99.999% of people think the death penalty for littering is inappropriate. - it's just normal civilised rational attitudes and thoughts.

If the figure was 25% of people think that sometimes administering beatings for dropping a kitkat wrapper was justified, I'd not be re-assured about the other 75%. (I'd probably think I'd moved to singapore, but I've meandered a bit there.)

13 minutes ago, donnie said:

'One in 9 feel sympathetic towards people who want to fight against Western intrests'

Not sure what to make of that. Does that mean 1 in 9 are sympathic towards groups like ISIS? How else can that be interpreted?

Most damming of all the survey if that is the case.

So you dont know what the poll statement is actually asking (given you asked if its about groups like ISIS) and then youre trying to make a logical deduction from the results? Wtf pls stop. The statement can be interpreted in many different ways. what youre doing wih poll data here is straight up wrong

edit: i guess you said "if that is the case" hmm

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

I know what you're saying, but I don't. It's kind of the norm, kind of what I'd expect. it's like I don't find it reassuring that (makes up random thing) 99.999% of people think the death penalty for littering is inappropriate. - it's just normal civilised rational attitudes and thoughts.

If the figure was 25% of people think that sometimes administering beatings for dropping a kitkat wrapper was justified, I'd not be re-assured about the other 75%. (I'd probably think I'd moved to singapore, but I've meandered a bit there.)

I agree. The fact that 25% of people think it's okay to violently punish people for what is drawing a cartoon/picture is pretty crazy. I take no comfort in the fact 75% people think that's not acceptable. It should be a higher percentage. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

The word 'sympathetic' or the phrase 'do you feel sympathy' is a bit loaded really.

It's a bit naughty of the BBC to use it.

I sympathise with people who hold anti-Muslim viewpoints because the world is a scary place to live in right now, and we have a large Muslim group that are committing atrocities.

I sympathise with people who don't want refugees in their country, because they are coming from areas where these evil groups began.

Does it mean I agree with them?

**** no.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, gharperr said:

So you dont know what the actual poll statement is actually asking (given you asked if its about groups like ISIS) and then youre trying to make a logical deduction from the results? Wtf pls stop. The statement can be interpreted in many different ways. what youre doing wih poll data here is straight up wrong

Okay Einstein, go ahead. Interpret what else that could mean: 'One in 9 feel sympathetic towards those who want to fight against Western intrests'? 

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'd agree with you if the question in the poll wasn't 'do you feel sympathy' because of the reasons in my post above.

If the question was more direct; 'do you think however many people in Charlie Hebdo deserved to die because they printed a cartoon of Muhammad?' then the percentage would be far, far lower.

• Like 2

Â