The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, there's a history of anti-semitism alright. A history of it, anti jewish riots across all the major valleys towns, a catalogue of incidents. From Merthyr, Tredegar, Aberdare. Famous riots before the First World War, violence in the 1960's. None of it, incidentally, by muslims.

What I don't recognise, is a Treorchy with aggressive islam driving the jewish community away. But apparently that's happening in Cardiff? Again, I don't doubt there are problems. I see the fascist stickers on lamp posts as I walk in to town. I see the EDL stickers up Albany Road. I know people in the EDL. But again, they aren't muslims. 

I don't doubt for a second that in a major city of more than a quarter of a million people there are muslims with vile views. I don't recognise a town with no go zones, sorry.

Treorchy has been a no go zone for pretty much the last forty years but I thought that was more to do with the hairpins up Rhigos mountain. Much easier to go round the Vale of Neath to Bridgend

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

was pretty funny tbf. the way i view things is that in places like say alum rock for instance or any other big muslim area,or ghetto as i like to call them i invision in my head that those areas are full of extremists and the majority of people there are pro islamists and anti britain. now before anyone gets upset im probably wrong but thats the vision my mind takes of those areas, and ive been through those areas and worked there and i dont at all feel at ease with what i see. like i said im almost certain im wrong but its the view me and many people have. always said id love to get to know some muslims so my mind would possibly change and id see other sides of the religion.

I don't get it, you realize that you're almost certainly wrong so why do you continue to hold these prejudices? Because they certainly affect a lot of your stances on these issues whether you realize it or not. It's not fair to the people you're unwittingly vilifying especially in these volatile times. I know you mean well, but it's thinly veiled xenophobia mate.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, omariqy said:

As a british muslim born in balsall heath with lots of family in Birmingham including alum rock. That is just bollocks. Like Guzzy Bear (guy in the vid) I have never come across anyone with these views. Ever. You can be damn sure I know more muslims than the majority on here. Apart from maybe Tony! It's very hard for me stand up against someone I don't know and will most probably never know. They may be anti west in terms of foreign policy but that is a big leap to terrorist. Wait maybe someone should tell Theresa May that.

dont mean to offend anyone but im just being honest in how i view things. i suppose its fear of the unknown and pure ignorance too. its not views i like having and hopefully one day they will change, im certainly not the type that when these dreadful attacks happen i rub my hands together because it means we can all have ago at muslims.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

dont mean to offend anyone but im just being honest in how i view things. i suppose its fear of the unknown and pure ignorance too. its not views i like having and hopefully one day they will change, im certainly not the type that when these dreadful attacks happen i rub my hands together because it means we can all have ago at muslims.

Why wait? Change them now.

You don't need anything to spark that decision other than educating yourself. You are by no means alone in your thinking and you haven't got to go out of your way to change your opinion necessarily. Just think about this question.

Do you honestly think a whole group of people who are the same as me and you except for their religious beliefs want to cause harm and suffering to others?

Surely the answer is no, right? So what's the problem?

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I mean if you're ignorant and you know you are, at the very least be neutral, no?

Also when you decide to get more knowledge on these issues, please don't fall into the rabbit hole of confirmation bias that a lot of people fall into, as in trying to confirm your prejudices with "facts" from obscure blogs and such. 

For a bit of context, it would be like those people in On Topic who have clear biases against some players and try to dress it up by presenting skewed statistics (or often, no statistics at all) to show a player or manager is bad. What you're doing is akin to what people do in the Ashley Westwood thread when they spout off nonsense like "he only passes backwards or sideways!" based on their biased perception of him or in their words what they "see on the pitch with [their] eyes!", despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. That's football though so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but don't apply that to entire groups of actual people!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I am Confucius. Just 2 days ago you demanded that we should 'close all the borders' and let nobody else in. 'We're full, and it's safer that way'. Some of your views really are quite xenophobic and right wing, and just to say that you realise they are, and maybe you shouldn't really have those views but you do, doesn't make it all 'OK'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Right wing Daily Mail reader in admittance of ignorance shocker. :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Right wing Daily Mail reader in admittance of ignorance shocker. :P

I think Ruge has come out very well here, in that he started off with his emotional response to the slaughter, and then has worked through his thoughts and feelings and arrived at a reasoned position.

Pity newspapers don't do the same. :angry:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I'm not offended at all mate. I totally get your stance. I've always maintained if you want to learn more about muslims or Islam you only have to ask.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said: dont mean to offend anyone but im just being honest in how i view things. i suppose its fear of the unknown and pure ignorance too. its not views i like having and hopefully one day they will change, im certainly not the type that when these dreadful attacks happen i rub my hands together because it means we can all have ago at muslims.

I mean if you're ignorant and you know you are, at the very least be neutral, no?

Also when you decide to get more knowledge on these issues, please don't fall into the rabbit hole of confirmation bias that a lot of people fall into, as in trying to confirm your prejudices with "facts" from obscure blogs and such. 

For a bit of context, it would be like those people in On Topic who have clear biases against some players and try to dress it up by presenting skewed statistics (or often, no statistics at all) to show a player or manager is bad. What you're doing is akin to what people do in the Ashley Westwood thread when they spout off nonsense like "he only passes backwards or sideways!" based on their biased perception of him or in their words what they "see on the pitch with [their] eyes!", despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. That's football though so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but don't apply that to entire groups of actual people!

Veretout is better though ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I don't get it, you realize that you're almost certainly wrong so why do you continue to hold these prejudices? Because they certainly affect a lot of your stances on these issues whether you realize it or not. It's not fair to the people you're unwittingly vilifying especially in these volatile times. I know you mean well, but it's thinly veiled xenophobia mate.

if people have held such views for quite a while its still going to take time for them to fully change it. I imagine its same with religion, you get shown a ton of evidence but you will always have that "but religion :(" in your head which you wont be able to fully let go of so quickly. Whilst it may seem an easy logical step to take quickly for us, who share them views currently, it wont be for others. The important thing is at least RV might be (it appears so?) challenging his previous thoughts which many people dont and just totally ignore the other side of the discussion.

Edited by gharperr

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Took a while for random poll stats to be brought up :lol: 

What is the point you're trying to make? Just be up front.

Does that statistic not bother you in the slightest? 

Point is in the statistic. What do you want me to say?

Â