The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

“Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. ‘Respect for religion’ has become a code phrase meaning ‘fear of religion.’ Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect.”  –Salman Rushdie

• Like 1

I wonder what's stopping religious leaders from writing a 21st century version of their holy book to get rid of a lot of the loony bits, but I guess that would be admitting defeat.

Mormonism? Scientology?

Did Muhammed even exist?  Is there proof of him or is he a bit of a Jesus where he may or may not have existed?  Or is he totally made up like God/Allah, Zues, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Skeletor etc?

Edited by Wainy316

Using fictional er non-fictional history to berate today's Muslims makes as much sense as using the Christian crusades to mock today's Christians, none! That was my point.

Why not? They follow the same text in the same fashion.

Obviously, this has nothing to do with religion.

The attackers reportedly shouted "God is Great" as they slaughtered satirists who regularly lampoon Islamic fanaticism. I think it has everything to do with religion (or at least the religious hypersensitivity of the killers).

Edited by maqroll

the worrying thing is although majority of muslims are peaceful there are still millions of them that want blood and things are only going to get worse. i dread to think what its going to be like in years to come, radical islam is one of the biggest threats to civilisation. the threat is only going to get worse and the attacks more frequent until the point where its going to be full out war which they want. radical islam is played down and there are far more that support it than we think, dark times lie ahead.

• Like 1

the worrying thing is although majority of muslims are peaceful there are still millions of them that want blood and things are only going to get worse. i dread to think what its going to be like in years to come, radical islam is one of the biggest threats to civilisation. the threat is only going to get worse and the attacks more frequent until the point where its going to be full out war which they want. radical islam is played down and there are far more that support it than we think, dark times lie ahead.

Replace the word Islam with religion and the word Muslim with follower.

• Like 1

Without religion people would just find other excuses to do evil.

sorry to pick you up on this useless, but I find this argument to be er'useless'. It doesn't mean anything. There will always be power struggles and there will always be conflicts fought, but that is no reason to stop fighting back, to stop trying to progress. There was a time when some in America or Europe may have thought that slavery would never end, that "well they'll always find someone else to oppress" so why bother trying to stop slavery. It's of course an absurd statement but my point is that, "there will be a replacement" is not a reason to not get rid of the original. You keep fighting, that is the baton we pass down to future generations.

There will be those with more power, influence occasional dark hearts, and there are those trying to resist. The more people you liberate from oppressive cultures and tyrannical philosophies the more power there is to fight back. In our western culture, whilst there are problems of xenophobia and racism that will always exist at some basic level, it is certainly no longer sanctioned by legal or cultural means. In the main we find it repugnant, same too with recent movements to liberate women from an overtly male dominated society ( just ssh, makemineavilla), or gay folk from homophobia. There are new problems that emerge and exist, but no one could argue that it is not right that we have evolved our social mores to prevent race, sex, or orientation being in any way a relevant factor to determining their personality or hierarchy in group society. 

the psycho-social issue with religion is just another issue. Religion by it's very precepts is exceptionally resistant through it's texts and structure to change ( slight risk of undermining the whole, 'god wrote / said it, can't argue with that' insane reasoning, that is far too conditional on "representatives" all agreeing to change it ). If you removed organised religion there would be no doubt other issues expected and unexpected that would arise, but at the same point you remove the possibility for citing this "authority" for spectacular bloodshed, bigotry and ignorance. There is an obstacle to science and. humane thought removed, if people don't feel an odd need to ignore evolution because mr vicar said so. There would be other schools of thought that arise and new oppositions would emerge, that is human nature, but that is also progress. You move on to the next fight. You destroy the shallow reasoning that similarly viewed blacks as inferior, women as housebound and gays as perverts. You say that hiding behind God is not **** good enough. 

It is a theoretical point I know, given how utterly entrenched the psychopathy is rooted into cultures and communities, dug deep into the social mileu of ritual and routine, but the argument that it's just a tool is not good enough, does not justify inaction. When you see ignorance, you cry out, when you see injustice you cry out, when you see abhorrence you promote tolerance and decency, where you see enclosed narrow minds you jar a great big **** wedge in there and push them wide open. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 3

Did Muhammed even exist?  Is there proof of him or is he a bit of a Jesus where he may or may not have existed?  Or is he totally made up like God/Allah, Zues, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Skeletor etc?

Oi, I think you'll find the Spaghetti Monster very much exists! 

ac27bd1e547f43c2bf0adde3e101187a.jpg

• Like 1

Â