The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Who was responsible?

Share the news, I don't have a clue.

I worded that badly. I don't know WHO is responsible, but I think we all know that these are muslim fighters.

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

France/Algeria was at least as big an issue as Britain/IRA.

True, and the French response to it remains the case study of choice for how not to deal with an insurgency.

• Like 2

Just now, PieFacE said:

Think storming the concert hall was the right move. Just hope there isn't a bomb in there.

Journalist said the fact they have stormed it so soon would reinforce suggestions that there is a bloodbath going on in there

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

France/Algeria was at least as big an issue as Britain/IRA.

It was a long long time ago though and I doubt many active in their services remain so today.

Our experiences with the IRA are far more recent.

There will be other factors as well obviously and both countries will be facing different threats but the difference in outcomes is stark.

19 minutes ago, ThisCouldBeRotterdam said:

On a side note, ive always been amazed that football stadiums arent targeted? Security is surprisingly lapse considering the density of people and publicity. 

Agreed I've always thought that any sporting event would be easy targets.

7 minutes ago, PongRiddims said:

Fair points...

Too much to comprehend right now, will reply tomorrow, too much beer to make sense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_France

11-22 March 2012 Shooting 7 5 Toulouse and Montauban shootings, murdering three French paratroopers, a Jewish Rabbi and three Jewish schoolchildren (aged eight, six and three) carried out over a period of 11 days by Mohammed Merah.[1]
23 May 2013 Stabbing 0 1 2013 La Défense attack by an Islamist knifeman against a French soldier in the Paris suburb of La Défense.
20 December 2014 Stabbing 0 3 2014 Joué-lès-Tours attack. A man yelling "Allahu Akbar" attacked a police office with a knife. He was killed and 3 police officers were injured.
21 December 2014 Vehicle ramming 0 11 2014 Dijon attack. A man yelling "Allahu Akbar" ran over 11 pedestrians with his vehicle.
22 December 2014 Vehicle ramming 1 10 2014 Nantes attack. A man yelling "Allahu Akbar" ran over 10 pedestrians with his vehicle, killing one, then attempted suicide.
7-9 January 2015 Shooting 20 22 2015 Île-de-France attacks, a mass shooting at the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo office in Paris, carried out by Saïd and Chérif Kouachi, two Islamist gunmen who identified themselves as belonging to Al-Qaeda in Yemen.[1] During this period, a third Islamist gunmen and close friend of the Kouachi brothers, Amedy Coulibaly is responsible for two shootings and an hostage taking at a Hypercacher kosher market. He said he synchronized his attacks with the Kouachi brothers. Coulibaly had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
3 February 2015 Stabbing 0 3 3 military men, guarding a Jewish community center in Nice, are attacked by Moussa Coulibaly (not related to the January Coulibaly attacks).
19 April 2015 Shooting 1 0 Unsuccessful attack against 2 churches in Villejuif by an Algerian jihadist. He killed a woman probably when trying to steal her car but accidentally shot himself in the leg, putting an end to his plans.[20]
26 June 2015 Beheading 1 2 Saint-Quentin-Fallavier attack. An Islamist delivery driver probably linked to ISIS decapitated a man and rammed a company van into gas cylinders at the Air Products gas factory in an attempt to blow up the building.
21 August 2015 Shooting and stabbing 0 4 2015 Thalys train attack. An attempted mass shooting occurred on a train traveling from Amsterdam to Paris. Four people were injured, including the assailant who was subdued by other passengers.[21]
13 November 2015 Shooting 50+ est. unknown November 2015 Paris attacks. Multiple shooting and grenade attacks on a restaurant, music venue and Football match. Approximately 100 hostages were taken by the gunmen.

ISIS are evil bastards.

Clever evil bastards.

They want us to be scared. They want us to fear each other.

They're terrorists.

By blaming Islam as a religion, you're letting them win.

Refugees fleeing war and persecution do not then go and recreate what they fled from.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Kalashnikov's being used according to the media

What a surprise terrorists using AK47's who would have guessed

I've read this post half a dozen times now and I'm still not sure what point you are trying to make with it.   Why wouldn't they be Kalashnikovs?  It's ludicrously cheap, almost impossible to break and more Kalashnikovs have been manufactured since 1949 than all the other types of rifle and handgun in the world combined. The AK is practically a commodity in large portions of the world. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

I worded that badly. I don't know WHO is responsible, but I think we all know that these are muslim fighters.

I don't see what we do with that piece of information though?

There are about 5,000,000 muslims in France. Do we refine that down to just dealing with murderous nutters, or do we put 5,000,000 under house arrest or ship them all out to Sudan?

We never shipped all the Irish out during the pub bombings, I think we just tried to find the bad guys. Same here, find the psychos and give them their martyrdom.

• Like 4

Sorry for the above post. The quoting sytem beat me. It's so bad.

Surely the Euros cant take place in France after this? You'd think it would be a target for this type of attack. I know if they do move it the terrorists are kinda winning by instilling fear into the public, but surely safety comes first?  

I wonder if Josh Homme is with EODM?

Edited by PieFacE

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

ISIS are evil bastards.

Clever evil bastards.

They're terrorists.

Refugees fleeing war and persecution do not then go and recreate what they fled from.

That is true. It's also ridiculous to try and insist that Islam as a religion has no bearing whatsoever on the actions of these terrorists. They self identity as extremely devout Muslims and however twisted their theology may be, they are doing this because of what they believe.   

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, av1 said:
7 minutes ago, mjmooney said: Yes. We knew it was insane jihadists. It was not 'Muslims'.

Eh, it was though wasnt it.

Perhaps my quote marks were a bit too subtle. It was very probably perpetrated by Muslims. But that does not mean 'Muslims' as a group, in their entirety can be held responsible.

To give an analogy, if a bunch of BCFC fans cause trouble, do you think it would be reasonable to lock YOU up, because you're a Brummie?

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

ISIS are evil bastards.

Clever evil bastards.

They're terrorists.

Refugees fleeing war and persecution also do not fit neatly into our society.

• Like 1

Â