The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

Also seems likely to be a response to a image recently posted on their Twitter account mocking the leader of IS.

They've been getting death threats ever since publishing cartoons depicting Mohammed a couple of years back, and apparently the threats were a regular occurrence.  I gather they've had some level of police protection over that period, but it may have been scaled down recently.

Not sure what killing people from a newspaper is going to achieve.

The aim is to create a climate of fear that induces self censorship regarding any negative comment about the religion of Islam and undermine freedom of speech and thought.

Will it work? We'll see tomorrow morning, but it's a brave editor who risks his office and staff being brassed up by the terminally humourless in order to make a point.

Pure speculation of course but given their manner, choice of target and attempts to escape and evade after the fact (as you say behaving like soldiers not theology doped amateurs) there is a good chance of them being IS graduates of Syria/Iraq.

We have literally hundreds of people just like this running around in UK.

Some commentary I've seen says they had north African accents, and the gesture of raising the index finger of the left hand is associated with IS.

Well actually I think it will achieve quite a lot.

They've killed the editor and the 3 most famous cartoonists in France.

That is not only going to put an immediate stop to the images that they object to from within France but it will also you would expect have a knock on effect on a lot of media coverage and output if they themselves become the targets.

This perhaps more than any conflict that has gone before is a conflict played out through the media.

And that is without even getting into the fringe benefits of aiding recruitment and furthering social conflict between Western populations with Muslim communities and the more general and universal aim of terrorist, provoking fear and seeking retribution.

Expect a lot more of this kind of thing:

Martin Johnson ‏@CuntJockey 14m14 minutes ago

The #ParisShooting makes it clearer than ever: there is no place for Muslims in Europe! #CharlieHebdo #YesAllMuslims

Expect a lot more of this kind of thing:

Martin Johnson ‏@CuntJockey 14m14 minutes ago

The #ParisShooting makes it clearer than ever: there is no place for Muslims in Europe! #CharlieHebdo #YesAllMuslims

Is that a parody account? His name is cuntjockey :lol:

Doesn't seem to be a parody.  Lots of retweets of serious stuff about the Glasgow bin lorry accident, among some stuff about his bowel movements and general Islamophobia.  I'd guess an adolescent oaf, mimicking reactions he hears from others. But the general sentiment will be repeated far and wide.

I'd say the only sensible response is to find out what article or cartoon was capable of causing such offence to them and buy it. 

Buy it, blog it, post it and re tweet it and stick it on lamposts and park benches.

All newspapers across Europe should print it on their front page tomorrow. 

B6wFfiaIcAAIgpA.jpg

Dutch satire response.

Edited by Swerbs
  • Like 2

I don't think it will achieve much.  You will see satirical cartoons and offensive cartoons more widely shared as a protest against what's happened.  People, rightly, will be horrified by what has happened and will want to take a stand in the name of freedom. 

Does it upset you Omariqy - if as a protest - you'd see cartoons/pictures of Mohammed?

There's a part of me that isn't comfortable upsetting normal practising Muslims just to show a few terrorists that we're "united".

• Like 1

Does it upset you Omariqy - if as a protest - you'd see cartoons/pictures of Mohammed?

There's a part of me that isn't comfortable upsetting normal practising Muslims just to show a few terrorists that we're "united".

Do you feel equally uncomfortable when the beliefs/values of Christians or Jews are ridiculed in the media or popular culture? Do you think the "victims" of that are any less offended?

The strength of any culture or society or religious group is demonstrated by their ability to take a good (or even offensive) ribbing on the chin without resorting to violence. It's all part of the rough and tumble of living in an open, pluralistic environment.

The reason non Muslim European people get so uncomfortable about that particular religion being critically examined is because most of its followers are not white. Given that this magazine was a standard bearer for the political left in France their response will be very interesting indeed.

Â