The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

I think the point was that tweeting misinformation could have been dangerous. don't say "shots fired" then a few minutes later say "not sure what happened". Especially with so many followers. 

Anyway, i'm more disappointed no-one has used the 'heart skips a beat' pun on here! :D

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Maybe some of us aren't quite as familiar with the complete oeuvre of Murs as you? ;)

'Dear Darlin', please 'Grow Up' and stop being a 'Troublemaker' and 'Dance With Me Tonight' :P

Ummmmm...  Someone must have told me them :blush:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I'm with HanoiVillian here. 

Unless you yourself are caught up in (what you think is) a terrorist attack and act like a hero taking the piss out of someone who has been is a low blow, celebrity or not. 

It's hardly Bastogne. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think this is being more than a bit uncharitable. He was caught up in what seemed to be a terror attack (lots of people thought it was, not just Olly Murs) and then followed the Met Police guidelines of 'run-hide-tell' to the letter. Using his Twitter account to warn people away from an area where he thought an attack was ongoing is perfectly reasonable behaviour. He didn't update his Twitter feed 'first', he found a safe place to hide. 

The first of Big Brave Olly’s tweets doesn’t necessarily suggest that he’s hidden, just that he’s in Selfridges and gun shots have been heard. He’s also specifically telling people what to do, despite clearly not knowing himself what, if anything, has happened.

You can see from his tweet several minutes later that he still doesn’t know what’s happening, but he’s now finally hidden in a back room (despite him previously directing people to leave the building). 

The tell part is to call 999. It’s not to update your Twitter account to disseminate false information and give people directions as to where to run whilst not having a clue yourself as to what is actually going on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The first of Big Brave Olly’s tweets doesn’t necessarily suggest that he’s hidden, just that he’s in Selfridges and gun shots have been heard. He’s also specifically telling people what to do, despite clearly not knowing himself what, if anything, has happened.

You can see from his tweet several minutes later that he still doesn’t know what’s happening, but he’s now finally hidden in a back room (despite him previously directing people to leave the building). 

The tell part is to call 999. It’s not to update your Twitter account to disseminate false information and give people directions as to where to run whilst not having a clue yourself as to what is actually going on. 

Exactly whose opinions do you think you're (mis)characterising by calling him 'Big Brave Olly'?  

Edited by HanoiVillan

Having been 'caught up' in a terrorist attack myself I can tell you the very last thing on my mind was to live tweet it. 

He has helped perpetuate mass panic and he admits now he didn't even hear gunshots, only he was told of them. Being in that moment can be extremely disorientating and the very last thing you need is misinformation and rumour passed off as fact, especially as social media has the reach to be a helpful resource in a situation like that.

Though to be fair to him though if you are caught up in a potential attack and you're taking instruction from Olly Murs then you are also an idiot. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Such a shame she was caught up in the whole private snaps incident :ph34r:

Mel's 47... her boobs aren't that old though :ph34r:

• Like 1

He was probably cacking his pants and didn't think straight. He did what he thought was a helpful thing. Can't knock him for trying to help even if he cocked it up. People are harsh man. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

He was probably cracking his pants and didn't think straight. He did what he thought was a helpful thing. Can't knock him for trying to help even if he cocked it up. People are harsh man. 

He couldn't even remember step 1 of terrorism reaction protocol though ?

Everybody knows that the first thing you do is throw a dead body out of a high  window and onto the roof of an unsuspecting police car.

Then you shout     " Welcome to the party pal " 

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Lf8tqad.jpg&f=1

Islamic State group defeated as final territory lost, US-backed forces say

The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) says the Islamic State group's five-year "caliphate" is over after the militants' defeat in Syria.

SDF fighters have been raising victory flags in Baghuz, the last stronghold of the jihadist group.

US President Donald Trump praised the "liberation" of Syria, but added: "We will remain vigilant against [IS]."

The jihadists retain a presence in the region and are active in countries from Nigeria to the Philippines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-47678157

12966893.jpg&f=1

• 7 months later...

Daesh (ISIS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has apparently been killed in an American attack.

Good riddance.

IS ledaren Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi uppges ha dödats i en räd av USA. Bilden den sista kända på IS-ledaren.

He exploded his suicide west during a shoot out according to US sources.

Trump ordered the hit and is of course very proud but I imagine he would have wanted to hold off with this kill a while yet to have it happening closer to the election.

But the domestic situation probably forced his hand.

No doubt there will be retaliations against soft targets in Europe now to avenge his death. 

Â