The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Another possible terrorist attack in Paris. One policeman dead.

Police are saying the suspect, who has been shot and killed, was already known to security services so I'd say it's nailed on that it was a terrorist attack.  Again.

5 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Police are saying the suspect, who has been shot and killed, was already known to security services so I'd say it's nailed on that it was a terrorist attack.  Again.

Yeah just heard on the news that he was known and being flagged as an extremist. Could of killed more people if he had gone for the public too, but it seems the police were the only target. There is such a dark cloud over Paris, it's truly horrible.

• 5 weeks later...

Scholarly, non-hysterical documentary on Channel 4 a couple of nights ago Isis: The Origins of Violence

Historian Tom Holland traces the origins of Isis's extreme violence, which it claims is justified by the tenets and scriptures of Islam: a claim contrary to most Muslims' interpretation of their faith.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Russians think they might have killed al-Baghdadi in a strike last month.

Given nobody apparently has had a clue where he was for months, and I think it's been believed before he'd been killed, I'd probably take this with a pinch of salt.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Given nobody apparently has had a clue where he was for months, and I think it's been believed before he'd been killed, I'd probably take this with a pinch of salt.

I think he has been killed off more times than the joker.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

I heard he got killed last week by heavy air strikes. Like you say  pinch of salt.

Sam Harris' podcast this week is worth a listen, if only to see just how absurd the beliefs leading to these atrocities are. It's an interview with a journalist who has spent a long time interviewing ISIS followers and learning about their beliefs and the way they have operated. It debunks ideas of the internet jihadi and talks about the recruiting techniques that are attracting followers to them. There is a section discussing the ISIS view on 'the end times'. Highlights include the idea that the Anti-Christ is huge red ugly man, with 'infidel' written on his forehead in invisible ink that only Muslims can see, and who is currently on the Earth, chained to an rock on an island in the Red Sea. And he's been there for about 1,400 years. He will fight Jesus, who is only a man but has spent a millennia in heaven waiting to come back, at the final stand of the true believers and Jesus will go berserk with a spear and make him dissolve...

Go look at a map. The Red Sea isn't very big, and we can spot a car from the stratosphere these days. Now... You'd think we might be able to find this island with a big red bloke...

The people happily engaging in murder worldwide all day believe this. A sorry a child would raise their eyebrows at.

Nuts.

• Like 1

This could have gone in any number of threads in OT.  Either way, it's what they call "no bueno".

Russia vows to target U.S. led aircraft in Syria

Russia vows to 'target' US-led aircraft in Syria after downing of jet

A US fighter jet has shot down a Syrian Air Force plane
A US fighter jet has shot down a Syrian Air Force plane

Russia has said it will treat US-led coalition planes in Syria, west of the Euphrates, as targets after the US downed a Syrian jet.

The statement followed after a U.S. warplane shot down a Syrian army jet on Sunday in the southern Raqqa countryside, with Washington saying the jet had dropped bombs near U.S.-backed forces and Damascus saying the plane was downed while flying a mission against Islamic State militants.

The Defence Ministry also said that it was suspending its interaction with the United States on preventing air incidents over Syria from June 19, the agencies reported.

The U.S. did not use its communication channel with Russia ahead of the downing of the Syrian government warplane, the ministry was quoted as saying.

The US and Russia, which has been providing air cover for Syria's president Bashar Assad since 2015 in his offensive against Islamic State, have a standing agreement that should prevent in-the-air incidents involving US and Russian jets engaged in operations in Syria.

The Russian defence ministry said it views the incident as Washington's "deliberate failure to make good on its commitments" under the de-confliction deal.

Â