The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

Project fear? Or a sensible precaution?

Why not start 2017 with a resolution to be prepared? Simply download The free, no adds citizenAID App from either Google Play or the Apple App store.

The citizenAID App will reduce the anxiety from difficult decision making in an unfamiliar situation

duck and cover

still no website for falling off a ladder, which kills between 50 to 60 UK citizens every year (he observed, somewhat flippantly)

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Project fear? Or a sensible precaution?

duck and cover

still no website for falling off a ladder, which kills between 50 to 60 UK citizens every year (he observed, somewhat flippantly)

Comes to something when you have to explain a flippant comment is flippant :)

but that website / App is a newsthump type spoof isn't it ?... isn't it ? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

U.S.-backed Iraqi forces fought Islamic State fighters on Monday to clear the way to Mosul's airport, on the second day of a ground offensive on the jihadists' remaining stronghold in the western side of the city.

Federal police and elite interior ministry units known as Rapid Response are leading the charge toward the airport, located on the southern limit of the Mosul, trying to dislodge the militants from the nearby hilltop village of Albu Saif.

The Iraqi forces plan is to turn the airport into a close support base for the onslaught into western Mosul itself.

Islamic State militants are essentially under siege in western Mosul, along with an estimated 750,000 civilians, after they were forced out of the eastern part of the city in the first phase of an offensive that concluded last month, after 100 days of fighting.

"They are striking and engaging our forces and pulling back toward Mosul," Major Mortada Ali Abd of the Rapid Response units told a Reuters correspondent south of Mosul. "God willing Albu Saif will be fully liberated today."

Reuters

They had no chance of implementing an Islamic state successfully but as @TrentVilla has said the danger increases with attacks in Europe. I've just came back from Paris and I stayed in the same road where a few of the attacks happened last year. We saw plenty of armed soldiers patrolling about. With so many soft targets abroad it's a credit to the intelligence services that keep preventing attacks. 

34 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The more territory they lose the greater the blowback abroad will be.

Why? I ask because the two things don't seem connected to me

What seems more related is how many ISISists return to wherever from their nest in the middle east, and how many people get radicalised/brainwashed who have never been to their war. I'm unconvinced it's as simple as the more that they lose ground in Iraq/Syria the more they will attack abroad.

Interesting that Alan Johnson on This Week just said that the government wanted to hear the Ronnie Fiddler case 'in camera' and that their appeal was turned down and that this led to the situation where compensation payments were paid in order that these didn't go to court (not in so many words, obviously).

That hasn't come out before, has it?

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Interesting that Alan Johnson on This Week just said that the government wanted to hear the Ronnie Fiddler case 'in camera' and that their appeal was turned down and that this led to the situation where compensation payments were paid in order that these didn't go to court (not in so many words, obviously).

That hasn't come out before, has it?

Not the specific case afaik, but the general principle of paying out our money to keep facts from us is well established.

On 20/02/2017 at 19:09, TrentVilla said:

I'm short of time so forgive me posting a video to answer but it is one of a number of similar sources that have shaped my views.

If that's an example of the 'similar sources that have shaped your views' then I'm really worried about your views and your sources, mate.

If it were an example of one view amongst many that you'd looked at and considered seriously then I'd have less of a worry.

31 minutes ago, peterms said:

Not the specific case afaik, but the general principle of paying out our money to keep facts from us is well established.

It was the bit about trying to press the case and it not being allowed to be heard in camera that appeared not to have come out before.

Edited by snowychap

9 hours ago, snowychap said:

If that's an example of the 'similar sources that have shaped your views' then I'm really worried about your views and your sources, mate.

If it were an example of one view amongst many that you'd looked at and considered seriously then I'd have less of a worry.

You do know adding 'mate' doesn't make this post any less patronising don't you?

Save your worry, really not needed.

• Like 2

On 20/02/2017 at 19:04, Rugeley Villa said:

it's a credit to the intelligence services that keep preventing attacks. 

Not 100% convinced they are preventing anything at the moment.  

I think they will ramp it up as the elections for the various countries come into view would be what I would do if I was them. 

6 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I think they will ramp it up as the elections for the various countries come into view would be what I would do if I was them. 

A seemingly significant plot was stopped with arrests in Lincoln and Burton only two months ago.

27 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

two months ago.

Seems a long time given they were doing them every week is what I mean. 60 days seems a long time in the current world to me anyway. I suppose they treat it a bit like drug trafficking in that they expect a certain % to get caught.

We will see,  but it seems very quiet at the moment.  Also,  a plot can mean many things,  a coordinated bombing of all major subway routes in London is a plot but so is 4 teenagers from Barnsley buying loads of fertiliser and pipes from a internet wholesaler.  The Police are super efficient and visible when it comes to justifying their existence and measures they have in place.  "Significant" to the Police in terms of propaganda or "Significant" as in we have a bloke with a dirty bomb in the east end of London.  I don't believe a lot of what the Police say or politicians,  they don't do it for nothing remember.

I'm not having a go by the way and we all see things different,  but I have a very bad feeling at the moment,  especially about NL and France.

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Have a watch of that link Trent posted if you get chance, it's an eye opener. 

Â