The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

20 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Horrific.... just horrific.

Up to 60 killed. Not sure how on earth you guard against this sort of thing.

How much can one city/country take.

i dont think you can protect against things like this, there is always going to be ways for people to carry out these type of acts regardless of what measures are put in place. Checking everyone that drives a truck isnt really feasible..

The only way of getting these kinds of attacks to stop on both sides is imo only possible by changing peoples opinions regarding our enemies and making peace, unfortunatley i really dont see this happening on either side.

the only thing i see nations doing is fighting the symptoms rather than the cause it self. kinda like sitting and watching someone constantly wiping snot of their face rather than just using a nasal spray once.

We're living in Hell at this point. Everything is totally out of control. So much hatred, so much violence, so much ignorance and greed. It's hard to think anything will improve.

Just now, maqroll said:

We're living in Hell at this point. Everything is totally out of control. So much hatred, so much violence, so much ignorance and greed. It's hard to think anything will improve.

The world does feel a little like its on the brink doesn't it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

For the first time ever, I've just questioned if I want to bring children into this world. I've heard people say it before, but I understand it now. The future looks so bleak.

incredibly sad but completely understandable, shameful that its gone this far, without any real signs of turning things around, were in for a shitty ride.

33 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The driver got out of the truck and started shooting people. I saw a photo of bodies all over the street. 

I've seen a report that the regional president has apparently said that the incident started with gunfire from the driver before he ploughed in to the crowd.

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I've seen a report that the regional president has apparently said that the incident started with gunfire from the driver before he ploughed in to the crowd.

the pictures they have shown of the lorry shows the front window with several bulletholes, so when whoever was driving got shot it seems to have happened in the lorry.

someone did say they were shooting though, apparently found weapons, explosives etc in the truck too, thanks god those werent used.

Completely unjust. The guy who has done this is dead, but has caused so much damage and misery. I am a proud brummie and I feel so sad for every muslim in Brum tonight, this has been done in the name of a warped version of their religion. It **** sucks to be let down by such murderous idiots wearing your colours.

• Like 1

This whole shit is bleak. I try to be optimistic and think the future will turn out just fine in the end, but I just don't see how..

My thoughts are with those in Nice right now and also with the Muslim community who are going to face even more unnecessary shit because of this. 

80 dead now...

I think most European countries are going shift to a hard right defensive posture, and civil rights will be curbed. Things are really bad right now.

Poor people, RIP. A savage, primitive and horrifyingly effective attack. Using a single truck as a weapon created more dead bodies than 7/7, and it's almost impossible to guard against. 

Even with the huge and seemingly permanent police and military presence on the streets, they can't prevent this when the perpetrator is highly motivated and happy to die.

The deeply worrying question is what conclusions French society will draw from the regular reinforcement of this fact. 

• Like 3

Woke up to this news this morning, deeply shocked by this. As a father of 2 young children it breaks my heart that some children will have lost their lives at an event where they were so excitied.

I'm really not sure what the answer is, but I predict in the eyes of the world leaders it will invovle dropping more bombs in the middle east.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Hollande promised more bombing in his speech last night. So more innocent people can expect to die. Why not keep the wheel spinning, right? Insanity.

We're all deep in shock about 80 innocent lives lost, but it does make you wonder how many innocent people are killed in Syria, Iraq, Afgan etc on a daily basis directly from Western troops because of course this never make the news.

I rember back when the Gulf War MkII kicked off and all of the Coalition troops were parked up outside Bagdad then the 'shock and awe' bombing that followed. Thousands and thousands of innocent people must have been killed.

Edited by Genie

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

We're all deep in shock about 80 innocent lives lost, but it does make you wonder how many innocent people are killed in Syria, Iraq, Afgan etc on a daily basis directly from Western troops because of course this never make the news.

I rember back when the Gulf War MkII kicked off and all of the Coalition troops were parked up outside Bagdad then the 'shock and awe' bombing that followed. Thousands and thousands of innocent people must have been killed.

Related, there have been (I think) 3 IS attacks in Baghdad over the last 10 days or so each with an equal or higher body count than Nice. 

The Caliphate is losing ground and turning to more asymmetric out of area terror attacks to deliver tactical 'victories'. That pattern is going to continue & increase. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Hollande promised more bombing in his speech last night. So more innocent people can expect to die. Why not keep the wheel spinning, right? Insanity.

What's the alternative ? They cannot stop these attacks in Europe so what are the range of options available if not military ? 

The majority of the religion in question are good people that have been fooled or forced to follow a religion that actively promotes these actions.

The solution is from within the Muslim community IMO but considering there are over 1 billion voices, their voices should be deafening in their condemnation,  the sound of silence is predictable.  Why not,  from the very core of the religion call an internal jihad on terrorists or similar? It is human made so it can say what they want and if they really gave a **** they would do something about it..

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The solution is from within the Muslim community IMO

This is something I agree with, I'm not saying its easy though. With the attack on the beach in Tunisia I remember watching the news and locals were talking about a mosque in the area that was well known to be preaching a very extreme flavour of the religion and that the man involved was from there. I expect this happens a lot, there are known area's, cells, mosques that people just distance themselves from.

If they suspect these things then they need to feel empowered to act upon it.

25 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The solution is from within the Muslim community IMO but considering there are over 1 billion voices, their voices should be deafening in their condemnation,  the sound of silence is predictable.  Why not,  from the very core of the religion call an internal jihad on terrorists or similar? It is human made so it can say what they want and if they really gave a **** they would do something about it..

This sounds, unfortunately, like the kind of thing we hear after every event of this ilk: they (muslims) don't do enough to stop it, they (muslims) never condemn (deafening silence) it, they (muslims - or did you mean  just those at the core of the religion?) would do something about it if they really gave a **** (by extension implying that they don't care as it continues to happen).

If you don't mean that then your comment needs some serious rewording.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

Â