The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

8 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Las Ramblas gets packed in the summer, it's easy to see how one van could kill loads of people, as well as the resultant panic.

You'd only have to drive through a red light at Plaça de Catalunya when people are crossing the road

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Is this confirmed isis yet? There has been an awful lot of anti tourism trouble/feeling in Barcelona (& other areas of spain) recently and was likely to turn violent at some point

I am pretty sure his is terrorism.  

Those anti-tourist people will be begging for tourists now.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Some horrible pictures and videos on Twitter :( 

Yeah just seen one, bloke just walking down the street filming the dead, people running past him screaming, crying, people running past him to try and help those injured and he just keeps filming

word removed

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

word removed

Agreed, surley the 1`st instinct is to help rather than film ?

One could say its almost aiding and abeting acts of terror in the broadcasting of material during or immediatley after an attack to any social media platform before the importance of said fottage is checked and released by the relevant anti-terrorism forces.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Agreed, surley the 1`st instinct is to help rather than film ?

One could say its almost aiding and abeting acts of terror in the broadcasting of material during or immediatley after an attack to any social media platform before the importance of said fottage is checked and released by the relevant anti-terrorism forces.  

It is aiding it.

So is this thread.

And everyone talking about it.

Terrorism aims to get people watching. To get the message out. It uses the damage and death to convey the message. The bodies are the message, and the medium of the message. Anything reporting it, helps it, unfortunately.

It's a small part of the reason its historically been a common tactic. Your enemy can't ignore it and by not ignoring it you help it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Midfielder said:

How come, some of "these people" who are so ideologised, so offended by Western culture... yet paradoxically deck themselves out in Nike and Adidas (which could be seen as buying into western materialism, western capitalism and western consumerism as if they needed a pair of trainers they could get footwear as such for a fiver I'm sure, not some £100 Air Max).

As these sorts of attacks become more common, competition for heavenly virgins is getting pretty fierce.  Jihadis got to show up looking their best.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

As these sorts of attacks become more common, competition for heavenly virgins is getting pretty fierce.  Jihadis got to show up looking their best.

No because there are plenty of girls in heaven from China and India. 

I imagine it's a right old sausage fest on our real planet in those countries though. :lol:  

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Looks like something going on on Finland too, Guy running around stabbing people, 1 dead, half a dozen injured. police have apperntly shot the guy

Might not be terror-related. Possibly been out in the sun too long

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Might not be terror-related. Possibly been out in the sun too long

New York Times reporting that the offender was running down the street shouting 'God is Great' in Arabic. So some slight chance of being Islamic related I guess.

Just now, veloman said:

New York Times reporting that the offender was running down the street shouting 'God is Great' in Arabic. So some slight chance of being Islamic related I guess.

Could be nuts. Hard to say on the face of things.

Just now, veloman said:

It's not in any of the reports I've read

Every report I've read seems to go to pains to say it's not known if it is terror related

Please can we get this thread back on topic. News stories go in new threads with tags like "breaking" and "news". This thread isn't for breaking news stories. Thanks.

Looking at the very few comments on here after this latest attack in Barcelona seems to confirm, to me at least, it's almost becoming the norm now. It wasn't mentioned at my workplace at all on Friday. 

Maybe it is just me who thinks that. 

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Looking at the very few comments on here after this latest attack in Barcelona seems to confirm, to me at least, it's almost becoming the norm now. It wasn't mentioned at my workplace at all on Friday. 

Maybe it is just me who thinks that. 

I agree, the amount of discussion on VT is often a good barometer of the amount of "shock" of an incident. Several of the comments on this and other threads on the recent attacks have also been very light hearted which also reinforces the point you're making.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

I agree, the amount of discussion on VT is often a good barometer of the amount of "shock" of an incident. Several of the comments on this and other threads on the recent attacks have also been very light hearted which also reinforces the point you're making.

I'd agree too, in one way it's a bad thing, in another it's good. It means we've become desensitized to such atrocities but it also means that ISIS aren't getting the full impact they crave for said attacks

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I'd agree too, in one way it's a bad thing, in another it's good. It means we've become desensitized to such atrocities but it also means that ISIS aren't getting the full impact they crave for said attacks

It stops being terrorism when we stop bring terrified. We're rapidly moving beyond outrage. They do these things to increase division by getting the media to hype up the "then and us" bullshit.

Big picture: It would probably lead to fewer of these attacks if we stopped talking about them. Like celebrity shows on TV.

• Like 1

Â