The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

It makes you realise, or should make people realise what a good job our Police and security forces do in this country.

If the price of avoiding this sort of attack and the other similar attacks in Paris in the last 12 months is GCHQ reading my text's and e-mails they are welcome to them.

Whilst I understand the sentiment, and usually agree with your comments TrentVilla, I don't agree with this. Firstly I would expect France to have the same level of surveillance as us, it not on par, very close. Secondly, your argument is based entirely on France being targeted twice, and everywhere else NOT being targeted based on GCHQ intervention.

Apologies if I've misread, my understanding of these situations is limited

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Hardly.

I'm not the one labelling and condemning an entire religion of billions because of a few whackjobs (and yes, it is still a few in the grand scheme of things)

Quite correct. Your just, by calling me a knuckledragger.assuming you are better than me because you have a different opinion, Its pathetic.

As soon as the news broke we all new who was responsible, correct?

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said: Hardly.

I'm not the one labelling and condemning an entire religion of billions because of a few whackjobs (and yes, it is still a few in the grand scheme of things)

Quite correct. Your just, by calling me a knuckledragger.assuming you are better than me because you have a different opinion, Its pathetic.

Yes. We knew it was insane jihadists. It was not 'Muslims'.

• Like 1

Just now, av1 said:

A minority giving the majority a bad name.

It's working too. 

Anybody who generalises a group of people billions strong by the actions of a minority is a knuckledragger in my eyes.

Proportionately, it would be like generalising the entirety of VT based on one person's postings.

Brainless.

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Who was responsible?

Share the news, I don't have a clue.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Well that's the thing. We DONT know who is responsible. It's very, very likely it's Islamic in nature, but there's a small chance it won't be. Ignoring that small chance, if it is Islamic in nature, we don't know the origin. Is it homegrown radicals? Is it foreign insurgency? Is it a planned organised attack on direct orders from a jihadi organisation?

It's probably the former, but we don't know. And we won't until these words removed are dead.

During the Mumbai attacks there was a control room in Pakistan reading cries for help on Twitter, then calling through the information on people's hiding places in the hotel to the terrorists inside - with obvious results.  Read that guy saying he was on the 1st floor and I felt sick. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PongRiddims said:

Whilst I understand the sentiment, and usually agree with your comments TrentVilla, I don't agree with this. Firstly I would expect France to have the same level of surveillance as us, it not on par, very close. Secondly, your argument is based entirely on France being targeted twice, and everywhere else NOT being targeted based on GCHQ intervention.

I don't think the French do have the same level of expertise in this area to be honest, no.

And I'm sorry to say you are wrong, France has been the victim of far more than 2 attacks.

I don't really understand your last point. There have been numerous plots on our soil which have been foiled by our Police, GCHQ, MI5, MI6 and various other agencies we are exceedingly good at dealing with this sort of threat, in part due to the history of Ireland. France it would seem don't have an intelligence service(s) of the same experience of calibre. 

I don't think the French do have the same level of expertise in this area to be honest, no.

And I'm sorry to say you are wrong, France has been the victim of far more than 2 attacks.

I don't really understand your last point. There have been numerous plots on our soil which have been foiled by our Police, GCHQ, MI5, MI6 and various other agencies we are exceedingly good at dealing with this sort of threat, in part due to the history of Ireland. France it would seem don't have an intelligence service(s) of the same experience of calibre. 

Fair points...

Too much to comprehend right now, will reply tomorrow, too much beer to make sense

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Well that's the thing. We DONT know who is responsible. It's very, very likely it's Islamic in nature, but there's a small chance it won't be. Ignoring that small chance, if it is Islamic in nature, we don't know the origin. Is it homegrown radicals? Is it foreign insurgency? Is it a planned organised attack on direct orders from a jihadi organisation?

It's probably the former, but we don't know. And we won't until these words removed are dead.

Fantastic post that I will quote in response to Donnie above.

France/Algeria was at least as big an issue as Britain/IRA.

Â