The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

58 minutes ago, peterms said:

I would certainly expect it to be reported.  It has more than local and individual significance.

Very obviously, an attack on people praying in a mosque is an attack on people who will certainly be Muslims.  It's not as though the attacker would have been wandering down the road, intent on attacking someone but indifferent as between choosing a supermarket, a post office, or a mosque, any more than when a shaven-headed **** with the IQ of a shoe throws a pig's head at a mosque in Luton or Gateshead, they were undecided between that or the local chippy as the target.

Often in these cases, we hear the line about it being a random act by someone with mental health problems, as though mental health and political extremism are two quite separate things.  Quite possibly the perpetrators do have mental health issues.  But what is beyond doubt is that an attack on a mosque is a political act, no matter what other factors may also be present.

What I would expect to see reported and discussed, is how a climate of opinion exists, how it is fed by the narrative of scum like Farage and his counterparts in other places, which can lead people to justify these acts to themselves.

Sorry but I don't agree and I think you've made some pretty big leaps in the above.

We don't know it has more significance than being a local story, that is purely your assumption.

Yes the people in the Mosque will be Muslim it doesn't though automatically follow that they were targeted for that reason. They might have been, they might not have been. As I said in my original post the motive isn't known or hasn't been identified yet, the only thing reported is the link to another murder. It could be an entirely personal motivation with the attacker known to the victims. Who knows, it could be like the murder of that poor shop keeper and have been committed by a fellow Muslim we don't know.

So as I said, I agree with the original point being made but I don't agree in relation to this example with them information currently available.

One other thing I don't agree with is your line that 'an attack on a mosque is a political act, no matter what other factors may also be present', it might have political consequences but it isn't in and of itself automatically a political act. Is it a political act when a teenager destroys graves in a church yard? 

Further there is a distinction between an attack on a mosque and a attack on people in a mosque, they are or at least could be two entirely different things. A Muslim man could for any number of reasons attack another Muslim man within a mosque. That wouldn't be an attack on the mosque and neither would it be a political act.

On your last line about a wider discourse on this matter I agree generally speaking but once again would point out that you are assuming the motives of this attack in Zurich.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

You're right. But lack of casualties or information has never stopped the media from wildly speculating before has it. This just really isn't 'news'. That church in France with 1 casualty warranted full day coverage though.

No but then that can also depend on the news day, as I said there were two much higher profile incidents.

Listen I'm not saying there isn't a bias in the media, far from it. As I said originally I agreed with your point just not particularly this example based on the limited information available.

The incident you refer to in France I assume is the one where the vicar was murdered? I'd argue that had that happened in isolation in say Portugal and without any link to the ISIS narrative we'd likely not heard about it. But coming as it did among other incidents in France and with the ISIS link it was always going to be bigger news.

I accept there is a bias in the media. But I also recognise that other factors can be in play such as other news events or the lack thereof, plus the theme of news. So for instance if there were a wave of attacks on Mosque's I think it would be a bigger story. The media love interlocking stories, stories in isolation such as the one in Zurich with no real narrative don't have much play, that is less about bias and more about the reality of modern media.

• Like 2

Anyway, back to ISIS and the incident in Germany.

It appears they've identified their key suspect having found his blood in the cab and his driving license under the seat! (a little hard to believe that one I know)

Looking at the pictures the lorry has half a shed through the windscreen on the drives side, he can't have been unscathed by that.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

No but then that can also depend on the news day, as I said there were two much higher profile incidents.

Listen I'm not saying there isn't a bias in the media, far from it. As I said originally I agreed with your point just not particularly this example based on the limited information available.

The incident you refer to in France I assume is the one where the vicar was murdered? I'd argue that had that happened in isolation in say Portugal and without any link to the ISIS narrative we'd likely not heard about it. But coming as it did among other incidents in France and with the ISIS link it was always going to be bigger news.

I accept there is a bias in the media. But I also recognise that other factors can be in play such as other news events or the lack thereof, plus the theme of news. So for instance if there were a wave of attacks on Mosque's I think it would be a bigger story. The media love interlocking stories, stories in isolation such as the one in Zurich with no real narrative don't have much play, that is less about bias and more about the reality of modern media.

No you're totally right. I'm just venting as I have family there who probably frequent that mosque.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

It appears they've identified their key suspect having found his blood in the cab and his driving license under the seat! (a little hard to believe that one I know)

ID left by a terrorist what a surprise!

42 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

ID left by a terrorist what a surprise!

Given that the point of terrorism is to use fear to send a political message, it's helpful to actually know what the point was, and doing so is easier if you know who the perpetrator is, particularly if the action is this generic kind of violence. So leaving ID isn't a shocker. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Given that the point of terrorism is to use fear to send a political message, it's helpful to actually know what the point was, and doing so is easier if you know who the perpetrator is, particularly if the action is this generic kind of violence. So leaving ID isn't a shocker. 

Especially if you think you are quite likely to be killed in the event.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blandy said:

So I think Muslim Brotherhood, Dictatorship, simmering resentment, Hezbollah, Hamas, Dictatorships, Royal rule, sectarianism, oppression, torture, inequality, religious lunacy, terrorism, state brutality, Turkey, Russia, Iran, uncle Tom Cobbley and all are also involved and that there's not really an option for peaceful westernised democracy to result. The people seem to want to go on with their religionist type states.

Blaming just the West or USA/Israel is to (IMO) overlook a whole bunch of other stuff by other players and factors.

Yes, I agree that all those things play a pretty big part as well.

I would add that some of those things are in themselves the consequence of the game we've been playing for over 100 years, destabilising governments, supporting the overthrow of them in the hope of installing client governments, playing countries and factions off against each other to keep things unstable.

In more recent years the mantle of chief fomenter of instability has passed to the US.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Especially if you think you are quite likely to be killed in the event.

Indeed.

And it may be the case he wants the world to know he did it, as some kind of perverted need to confirm it was him (to an organisation if he was in contact, though that's doubtful here, to family, friends, perhaps even just a feeling he needs the world to know he did it). To have his name in the history books of martyrs, or even just the notoriety. Given the bloke is going to be a complete nobody, I can see the perverted appeal of being notorious, especially if some figure you respect has indoctrinated you into thinking your sinful waste of a life could easily become something God would smile on if only you kill some innocents...

We're the world's second largest arms exporter now.

It's going to be part of Sajid Javid's British Oath that we have to respect each other, live in harmony and push for the number one bomb exporter spot by next Christmas.

72ed1b5a-406a-4a3a-9f3e-72d5fc13b682.jpg

This remains a site that I find oddly addictive. 

https://www.defense.gov/News/Contracts

Contracts valued at $7 million or more are announced each business day at 5 p.m. Go to DOD News for more information and for links to other news items.

The money that people make out of killing people is truly astounding - Monday was a good day, nearly $3 billion.

Sadly, I'm not sure they're quite so forthcoming about their export contracts.

Â