Pre match thread

roonst83

Gabby is suspended, so the bench isn't an option.

For me I think that with Gabby missing there's a question mark on formation, I don't think Grealish is ready for the wide role in a 4-3-3, I think that right now there's too much responsibility in it for him. I don't think I'm ready to go into a game with N'Zogbia and Bacuna on the wings, so for me I think 4-3-3 becomes tricky.

I'm not massively keen on the three centre half formation either, but despite the horror-show first half he had, I'm also not quite ready for benching Okore. I'm not sure if Cissokho is currently flavour of the month, but he seems to be the sacrifice of choice for Lambert right now and I wonder how sure he is of a start.

The following will play, I think we can be reasonably certain:

Guzan

Hutton

Delph

Cleverley

Sanchez

Weimann

Benteke

Which gives us three central midfielders and two up top.

So I guess the question is do you add an extra midfielder and go 4-4-2 or add a centre back and go 5-3-2. We don't really have anyone who can play the wide midfield role, so that adds another level of difficulty for us.

We could go:

-----------------------Guzan------------------------

--------Okore---------Vlaar-----------Clark--------

Hutton------------------------------------Cissokho

----------------------Sanchez-----------------------

--------Cleverley---------------Delph--------------

------------Weimann---------Benteke-------------

But there's not much width in it. I think it'd still be reasonably effective, but not great to watch - it makes us hard to beat, but doesn't give us much but scraps for the front men. I think it's probably the most likely line up.

Personally, I'd prefer this:

Hutton--------Okore---------Vlaar-------Cissokho

---------------------Grealish------------------------

--------Weimann--------------Benteke------------

With Grealish given licence to not worry about the stuff he's no good at and concentrate on making things happen for the front two. I think it's a whole lot less likely though.

• Like 1

We need to start with 4 at the back.  

Gabby & Weimann should be used as impact subs.  

My personal team:  

___________________Guzan___________________
__Hutton____Okore__________Clark___Cissokho__
__________________Sanchez__________________
_________Cleverly___________Delph____________
___Bacuna_______________________Grealish____
__________________Benteke___________________

Sorry Ron.  

If he goes with a back three then Lowton should play not Hutton. Hutton was crap at wingback in the first half at Swansea. Maybe even Bacuna. Like Va Gaal said yesterday about Ashley Young. If you play a back three you dont want defenders playing at wing back. Hence why Young and Valencia are working so well at Man U

Edited by PaulC

Gabby is suspended, so the bench isn't an option.

For me I think that with Gabby missing there's a question mark on formation, I don't think Grealish is ready for the wide role in a 4-3-3, I think that right now there's too much responsibility in it for him. I don't think I'm ready to go into a game with N'Zogbia and Bacuna on the wings, so for me I think 4-3-3 becomes tricky.

I'm not massively keen on the three centre half formation either, but despite the horror-show first half he had, I'm also not quite ready for benching Okore. I'm not sure if Cissokho is currently flavour of the month, but he seems to be the sacrifice of choice for Lambert right now and I wonder how sure he is of a start.

The following will play, I think we can be reasonably certain:

Guzan

Hutton

Delph

Cleverley

Sanchez

Weimann

Benteke

Which gives us three central midfielders and two up top.

So I guess the question is do you add an extra midfielder and go 4-4-2 or add a centre back and go 5-3-2. We don't really have anyone who can play the wide midfield role, so that adds another level of difficulty for us.

We could go:

--------Okore---------Vlaar-----------Clark--------

Hutton------------------------------------Cissokho

------------Weimann---------Benteke-------------

But there's not much width in it. I think it'd still be reasonably effective, but not great to watch - it makes us hard to beat, but doesn't give us much but scraps for the front men. I think it's probably the most likely line up.

Personally, I'd prefer this:

Hutton--------Okore---------Vlaar-------Cissokho

---------------------Grealish------------------------

--------Weimann--------------Benteke------------

With Grealish given licence to not worry about the stuff he's no good at and concentrate on making things happen for the front two. I think it's a whole lot less likely though.

Bang on analysis mate. I'd prefer the 2nd option too. I'd like to see Grealish given a couple of starts to let him get comfortable.

no better game to start Grealish. Come on Paul. Give him a run. At home against a weak opposition.. no real high pressure yet this early in the season. Gabby is out.. Others in poor form. Can see no harm in starting him