• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

can we just cut and paste the hard luck comments into the sunderland post match thread.  The swansea keeper hardly had a save to make 

Although he did make one world class save and a couple of good uns. There are goals in this team, I think. If we play like we did today against Sunderland we'll beat them. That said, if we play like we did today against Swansea, you'd have thought we'd have beaten them.

People keep saying that, but 18 games in and we are scoring at .61 goals a game, A goal every 141 minutes, piss poor by any standards.

We get a shot on target every 16 attempts that equates a shot on target every 31 minutes. I am impressed with the improvements in the last few games, but unless we focus on creativity in the final third the second half of the season will be the same.

I don't think we will go down, but it's going to be another frustrating season.

Oh, it was a stonewall penalty.

Well I think there's been progress in the last few games so as fans if we get behind the team we'll reap the rewards of that over time.

Gabby was a blatant pen, without the push he would've scored. Benteke should've scored. Gabby should've done better with the header at the end and so should've Hutton. Four clear cut opportunities in the space of 25 mins. Admittedly they had that Dyer chance, but if we play like we did second half we will dick Sunderland.

can we just cut and paste the hard luck comments into the sunderland post match thread.  The swansea keeper hardly had a save to make 

Although he did make one world class save and a couple of good uns. There are goals in this team, I think. If we play like we did today against Sunderland we'll beat them. That said, if we play like we did today against Swansea, you'd have thought we'd have beaten them.

Not point scoring - but you honestly see this team scoring lots of goals ? - I can barley think of anything more unlikely.

Lots? No. I'm not under any illusions as to our lack of creativity on the flanks or through the middle, but I think we can score enough to see us through games like this and the one in a couple of days time. We've been awful at times this season, I didn't think today was one of those times. Today was frustrating and I can see why you're annoyed at it, but I think there was enough there to suggest we can win the odd game.

Fair enough - I can see your point.

Mine is, we don't score many, usually concede at least 1 - if this keeps up - those 'odd' games we win might not be frequent enough. I fear for us if we don't buy a striker in Jan  (which I know we won't) 

Yours is correct. We don't score many. We don't score enough. I thought today we deserved one from our efforts, but it's just one game.

Not sure I agree on the solution, personally I think we're desperate for a flying winger with a bit about him down the right hand side, but that's a debate for a different thread I guess.

Cam make all the excuses in the world. 'The ref','the pitch', 'we was unlucky', blah blah.

The fact is 11 goals in 18 is nothing short of disgraceful. Manager must go now.

Did you even watch it?

Yes, and we still lost.

Yep. And if you're judging football games purely by the scoreline, so are you.

• Like 1

Out played then in all departments. One good free knock which the keeper should save the difference

b48cd8c4845746f5da71f2ac0f32c57c.png

Phew .....that's a relief !

For a side that could not pass a month ago that is some progress against one of the best teams at it 

But it isn't is it ? - sure it might look prettier - but at the business end of the pitch we are as bad as ever.

People keep saying that, but 18 games in and we are scoring at .61 goals a game, A goal every 141 minutes, piss poor by any standards.

We get a shot on target every 16 attempts that equates a shot on target every 31 minutes. I am impressed with the improvements in the last few games, but unless we focus on creativity in the final third the second half of the season will be the same.

Well I think there's been progress in the last few games so as fans if we get behind the team we'll reap the rewards of that over time.

Gabby was a blatant pen, without the push he would've scored. Benteke should've scored. Gabby should've done better with the header at the end and so should've Hutton. Four clear cut opportunities in the space of 25 mins. Admittedly they had that Dyer chance, but if we play like we did second half we will dick Sunderland.

A lot of ifs and wishes but no goals. 

Disappointing result but more than happy with the performance ...... keep that up and it will be top half finish for sure.

Sanchez was outstanding and is starting to establish himself as real top class.

• Like 3

Starting with three centre backs was a mistake. I think this tactic has been shown to work only against teams the very top teams. Otherwise it just invites pressure and doesn't allow any control of the midfield area and limits our creativity (which is limited to begin with!).

Another mistake was to insist to play it out from the back when the weather was just dreadful and that was causing us to make some silly mistakes. I think it's great we're starting to do that but we should have abandoned that plan today because of the conditions.

The second half was much better with a change of formation. Weimann was lively but once again he just doesn't have that quality and composure in the last third of the pitch.

We should have got a penalty when Gabby got pushed by Williams but the referee chickened out. Poor decision. I know some people thought Gabby was our brightest player but I must say he limits our play severely. He's a very good outlet on the break and he's industrious but when he's playing as some sort of second striker like he did today he simply stifles us. He's dreadful in the centre of the pitch - we could have used a creative outlet there like Swansea are set up with Sigurðsson.

We have two home games coming up and we need to start with a player that can create and run into the pockets of space between the opponents defense and midfield - for me that player is Grealish. Why not give him a chance to show what he can do for 90 minutes? We don't have any other player who can do that.

Cam make all the excuses in the world. 'The ref','the pitch', 'we was unlucky', blah blah.

The fact is 11 goals in 18 is nothing short of disgraceful. Manager must go now.

Did you even watch it?

Yes, and we still lost.

When you are in a result based sport then you do look at the scoreline. 

If you happen to read my previous post I said I was happy with the improved performance but creating as much as we are we will continue to lose games by the odd goal.

You can keep saying we should, or we will score, but the fact is we don't score enough.

Edited by villianusa

Give me a shout when you've developed that technology where Lambert can control the players' thoughts and decisions when striking/heading a ball or stick to FIFA mate!

• Like 1

Out played then in all departments. One good free knock which the keeper should save the difference

b48cd8c4845746f5da71f2ac0f32c57c.png

Phew .....that's a relief !

For a side that could not pass a month ago that is some progress against one of the best teams at it

But it isn't is it ? - sure it might look prettier - but at the business end of the pitch we are as bad as ever.

Yes we need to score but when changing the whole style we play you need some progress being shown towards it and we showed that today. We are now passing the ball like we want, we are creating chances, the goals will come, Today we was the better team,

• Like 1

The understanding between Benteke and Weimann is gone. It would be awesome to have a player who could link up well with Benteke when he's in the box, he just seems to be too intelligent for Gabby or Weimann to really link up well with him and make the right passes and runs.

We just needed to execute a bit better today, we stuffed up a lot of chances.

Did you even watch it?

Yes, and we still lost.

When you are in a result based sport then you do look at the scoreline. 

If you happen to read my previous post I said I was happy with the improved performance but creating as much as we are we will continue to lose games by the odd goal.

You can keep saying we should, or we will score, but the fact is we don't score enough.

I'm not denying it has been a major major problem, but what more can you do (looking at this game specifically)? The only thing I would've done differently is hoof it up to Benteke earlier, but perhaps if we'd have done that we'd have lost the ball more and been picked off on the break so I can understand Lambert being cautious.

We desperately need a good CAM or to give Grealish a start but currently, even if it is Lambert's fault we don't have one, he can do nothing about that issue!

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

Disappointing result but more than happy with the performance ...... keep that up and it will be top half finish for sure.

Sanchez was outstanding and is starting to establish himself as real top class.

We won't be top half if we continue to score as little as we do. At the current ratio we won't be far off the lowest scorers since the Premier League started (currently 20 by Derby is the lowest)

The potential to be a good team is there, we just need to be more creative. I'm not sold whether Lambert is the man to make us more creative.

Give me a shout when you've developed that technology where Lambert can control the players' thoughts and decisions when striking/heading a ball or stick to FIFA mate!

Maybe if you knew anything about coaching then you would know a coach does  control a players thoughts and decisions before a game by developing a pattern of play. If they are really good managers then they develop a couple so they can fall back on things if plan A isn't working.

Once they walk onto the field it is somewhat of a different matter, but if he continues to pick the same players who do the same things (not create, or score) that's down to him.

For your information, I never bother playing simulation games on TV, I was out getting my UEFA licenses. ;)

Have a good day.

Maybe if you knew anything about coaching then you would know a coach does  control a players thoughts and decisions before a game by developing a pattern of play. If they are really good managers then they develop a couple so they can fall back on things if plan A isn't working.

Once they walk onto the field it is somewhat of a different matter, but if he continues to pick the same players who do the same things (not create, or score) that's down to him.

For your information, I never bother playing simulation games on TV, I was out getting my UEFA licenses. ;)

Have a good day.

If that is true you'd likely know that football is about chance creation, and there is little you can do as a manager if you set your team up, they create chances, and they fail to take them. Or do you suggest dropping Benteke?

Please don't appeal to authority, I work in the football industry. Initial UEFA licenses are piss easy to obtain if you have the time and above all money. But yeah I'll stop now, don't want you wasting time responding - the next Sterling awaits your instructions

Â