• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Lambert got the formation wrong today but who could really blame him for going with the same formation as against United. Corrected it half-time and we were a little better.

A huge mistake by Guzan and a brilliant save from Fabianski equals no points for Villa. Opportunity lost.

Not deserving to lose, but it's going to happen while we are not able to put teams to the sword.

Williams push on Gabby in the box totally ignored by ref.

Okore nudge on their player in their box and the ref knows its a foul instantly.

Just spineless.

It's a bit of a robbery that.

We played very well in two thirds of the pitch - Okore's dodgy first half and Guzan's error on the free kick put us behind.

Our final ball was poor in the final third, I dunno, that little bit of extra quality, or confidence or composure or just flaming luck and we'd have not just come away with a point we could have won that handsomely. As it was, we still just about fashioned enough chances to have at least drawn the game and possibly won it.

It's frustrating, I think it sometimes feel more frustrating to play well and lose than it does to play badly and lose, but I think there are positives to take from that one.

If we can sort ourselves out up front we'll be fine.

• Like 3

Get real folks - we can't score ....Benteke or no Benteke  - also we can't keep clean sheets - we need some wingers and some strikers.  Keeping the ball is no big deal when your a goal behind - and doing nothing with it - I thought Houllier was back the way we farted about with the ball today.

• Like 1

We'll be absolutely fine this season if we keep playing like that.

Was a mistake playing 5 at the back from the start, showed them far too much respect. If our wing backs had attacking ability then it wouldn't be so bad but they're just not good enough going forward. 

Unlucky not to get a point, need to work on movement going forward though.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

We have played far worse than that and lost.

Hutton had his worst game in a Villa shirt since he returned.

Grealish needs more time on the pitch.

Weimann needs more time on the training ground.

Ref needs to go back to reffing Primary School football matches.

Deserved something today. Good freekick but Guzan should have had that side of the goal covered

3-5-2 can work but wasnt right for today.  Okore didnt look comfortable in a back 3. Cissoko looks to be going backwards

Should have at least shared the points

Expect minimum 4 points from next two games

To be honest, if we keep playing like that this year we should be fine. A combination of being terribly unlucky and poor refereeing kept us from getting a point from this.

Really - if we keep not scoring - let me assure you we won't be fine.

• Like 1

Gutting to lose on Boxing Day again- but from 60 minutes on we played well and might easily have scored on a different day. Still lots of positives at the moment, and with the transfer window open in a week, lots of opportunity for Lambert to improve us.

Last 10 minutes just proof that with no decent CAM and Benteke in the team, we will win games if we just hoof it up to him. Passing out the back pointless if you're just going to get to the final third and lose it.

Ref utterly shit. Benteke petulant little baby at times but I'd still sell my left nut for him to stay.

That decision by the ref at the end really pissed me off. They wasted about 30 seconds taking the corner, and we get a free but he doesn't allow us to take it

Poor first half, decent second half, once again just missing that little bit of extra composure, skill in the final third to really create chances

Â