Clarke Carlisle hit by lorry

Dodgyknees

Feel more sorry for the lorry driver tbfh.

That's the issue here, the lorry driver who hit him, his wife & kids being told there husband/dad had killed himself 2 days before Christmas, there are so many people who would have had there lives destroyed by this selfish act

But the other side of it is it shows just how depression completely takes hold of you.

Hopefully this will be the last time he tries anything like this.

How many times has he been caight drink driving now, it's got to be at least 3.

Now he involves an innocent in his selfish act.

Depression is a very real issue, that has affected those closest to me. I have witnessed it first hand growing up, I have had an uncle commit suicide, I have experienced a parent attempt.
I never witnessed selfishness like this though.

Scumbag.

I don't know if depression is classed as a 'mental illness' but if it is then there is probably a point at which your in danger of losing some rational use of your mental faculties. Would people be so harsh on someone with say schizophrenia who through their 'disorder' put someone's life at risk? 

People who think those who are so depressed they want to take their own life are "selfish" or "Scumbags" should read this

life%20too%20short.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CAC

A very good insight into someone living with depression. Particularly meaningful as it's another footballer.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Obviously Little is holding a grudge but he did make a couple of points from the brief comments I saw

A couple of points. Got it. If they're as good as the point you've made there, then they're surely worth a read.

Suicide and depression is a bit of a weird one. Almost everyone has gotten past the idea that suicide and selfishness are bedfellows. If you're still putting them together then you either have personal experience with suicide, and therefore any discussion of it brings out an emotive element, that goes against maybe your normal reasoning, which I think is what rodders3242 is doing up there, or you have an ignorance owing to a deficit in your thinking. In the latter scenario you see the misery that the suicide has left behind and you use that for the basis of your judgment of the overall act, without considering the misery that caused the suicide. You stop too soon in your analysis. 

It's difficult to express what it's like to have depression. Some creative people might come close, but most often what you'll hear from someone is that they're feeling down. And that's as well as it can be described in the main. Because of the incapacity for expression of the actual thoughts and feelings within a depressed mind, both due to the limits of language, and depressive poverty of speech, diagnosis is made through directly asking about individual symptoms, such as poor sleep, poor appetite, no interest in things anymore etc. 

So understanding of depression is very limited for those who have never had it, because it can't be explained well to the uninitiated. All people can do is assume it's something horrible. Like having a constant screeching noise in your ear, or a really bad smell in your nose, or a disgusting upsetting image in your vision all the time, but it's an unpleasantness in a sensory modality that only you have. A sixth sense within which there is only misery, that you can't describe to anyone else because you would only be able to describe it in the terms of a sense that they don't have and for which there isn't even language available. It cannot be compared to something that exists outside of this realm, and so one can be forgiven for feeling overwhelmed by the confusion it brings especially when it happens to someone close to you.

As for suicide, I don't know. Suicide is different from depression. In that I don't think of it within the same sphere. I think suicide is a part of mental illness. And depression happens to be a mental illness. Suicide isn't for the most depressed, or the most mentally ill. It's a different ball game entirely and very poorly understood. Brad Bird described Robin Williams' suicide as being when hopelessness overwhelms imagination. I like that, but I'm not saying that it always applies. And I don't like a discussion that has as a starting point whether or not someone was selfish in any suicide attempt. A depressed person may end up committing suicide, but you treat the depression, not the suicide. And if it happens and it's a family member, you hate the depression, not the suicide. You hate that the depression was responsible for a death in the same way you hate a cancer. It would be great if no one committed suicide, but that's about all you can say about it without making a lot of broad statements with no meaning.

• Like 3

Anyone else amazed he was on 100k a year as an Itv commentator?

He was only on the odd champions league highlights wasn't he?

Anyway hope he gets better. I read the article and it seems fate wanted to keep him alive as he originally laid on train tracks like Robert Enke did but the high speed train didn't turn up.

Ralf Little's timing was wrong and the manner and media in which he initially broached the subject (twitter) was very wrong too. But if you can get past the emotive nature of the whole thing and read the points he makes about Carlisle's specific situation, a lot of what he said made sense in regards to Carlisle. It wasn't meant as a generalisation of suicide and suicidal people. He is at pains to stress this several times in the letter he wrote. Carlisle has put a huge amount of people's lives at risk over and over again whilst pushing his own self-destruct button. It's only by dumb luck that he hasn't killed anyone whilst driving pissed for example.

• Like 4

Â