Is celebrating an away goal among home fans ever acceptable?

andykeenan

Many many times I've sat in the home end at Arsenal and Stoke when we've played there.

I do get mildly excited when we score but normally do a fist pump with my hands in my coat pockets if you get me.

To me I liken it to when you visit someone's house, you generally abide by their rules e.g. shoes off at the door so yeah I don't think going mental and making it obvious you support the away team in a home area is the brightest thing to do.

Problem is so many of these are people who go to one game a season and generally don't realise this. Those that do and take the mick deserve all they get within reason.

This reminds me of a funny story I read a while ago. A West Ham fan was sitting in the home stand at Chelsea. West Ham were getting battered 5 nil but scored a consolation. Bloke next to him got up and went mental so said fan thinking he was West Ham did the same. Cue funny looks and abuse.

The bloke next to him then loudly said "right I put a fiver on Chelsea winning 5-1 today! What's your excuse?!" Think he made a swift exit!

• Like 1

If you take your kids to football matches, you should teach them football etiqutte. My daughter learned the art of the supressed grin, the wink and the nudge in the ribs when in the 'wrong' end, from a very early age.

And I would imagine that's a principle you followed through in most every aspect of her life.

This isn't a story about a man being thrown out of the North Stand, it's a story about bad parenting.

Yep talk abou getting your kids ready for the big bad world!

Stewards were absolutely right to kick them out. If you're going in the home end you don't celebrate when the away team score, he should've told his kids that. Sounds like a rocket polisher who is looking for some free stuff from the club by running moaning to the press.

Club statement on the matter: 

"The segregation of Villa supporters and fans of opposing teams is necessary for the safety of all fans at Villa Park on a match day, as it is for stadiums across the country," Villa's statement read.

"The policy of the Club, and of all clubs in the Premier League, is that any away fans purchasing tickets to sit in the home area of the stadium are liable to be ejected for their own safety and the safety of the home fans around them. While ejecting any fan from the stadium during a match is a last resort, moving away fans from a home area to the away section is not always feasible and so the decision must be taken to remove those fans instead.

"During the ticket sales process it is made clear several times that any tickets purchased for home areas are for Aston Villa fans only and are purchased on that basis, and all turnstiles for home areas clearly indicate that the areas are for Villa fans only. Opposing fans buying these tickets is a breach of the terms and conditions of entry which are laid out on our website."

• Like 1

They were just kids and it doesn't sound as though the dad was jumping around with them  , and the woman shouting "kick them out" should be mightily proud of herself and the example she has no doubt set for her children accompanying her  .. lets hope she threw a few swear words in to complete their education 

I went to the Orient game and some chav kid was sitting near me drinking alcohol from a can and when told to stop ,  told the stewards to  get lost ( in more colourful language)  ... this went on for about 20 minutes before the stewards , did indeed get lost  ... so it does seem they only do their duty when they know it isn't likely to involve a conflict that don't feel they can win

I can understand the letter of the law and the club feeling the need to follow it but  If the club has any sense they will send the kids a Villa shirt each and convert them whilst they are still young enough to see the error of their ways and also gain some good will back

What have racism and personal attacks got to do with this? Nobody is condoning those things and they don't make standing up and celebrating an away goal in the home end any less bad.

Because we often hear this sort of attitude at games and they get overlooked, either by fans or by stewards.

I find it quite sad that cheering the opposition can incite violence but other much more negative actions go by with a tut or shake of the head...or even worse, support.

The situation is a difficult one, I get that, but that doesn't detract from the fact that priorities in the game are askew.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

It's a difficult one, because from a moral standpoint, I have no objection to opposition fans sitting in home areas, as long as they are discrete. If you stand up when the home team scores and say nothing when your team scores, you'll be fine. We've all done it. 

This dad is to blame for not teaching his kids properly. I have no sympathy for him, and that's not a partisan viewpoint because it's Villa. It's just common sense. 

What have racism and personal attacks got to do with this? Nobody is condoning those things and they don't make standing up and celebrating an away goal in the home end any less bad.

Because we often hear this sort of attitude at games and they get overlooked, either by fans or by stewards.

I find it quite sad that cheering the opposition can incite violence but other much more negative actions go by with a tut or shake of the head...or even worse, support.

The situation is a difficult one, I get that, but that doesn't detract from the fact that priorities in the game are askew.

Speak for yourself. Racism is something I've heard very little at football. Most of the occasions I did hear it - aimed at Heskey - numerous people went to the stewards and had the lads kicked out. It's just much easier for stewards to see people jumping up and down and celebrating a goal that they shouldn't be, than hearing the voices of 1/2 people in a crowd of 30,000.

• Like 1

A bloke I work with, a man u supporter, who lives a street away from villa Park got refused a ticket for the game as quite rightly the ticket office questioned the fact that the only game he goes to is the man u fixture. He also told me he celebrated once when he was young and was ejected, now he keeps his gob shut.

To me, it's simply a matter of good manners. You don't go into a someone's house and slag them off or boast about your own superiority. I don't object to the odd away fan in the home end, I've had to do it myself enough times, but they are effectively there on sufferance, and should show respect to their hosts.

• Like 1

Aston Villa fans sit in the stadium. This is because the club is called Aston Villa, and this is the reason why the stadium is full of these fans.

If you support a team where you can't go because demand is too high, it's your problem not ours. Don't make it our problem.

The Dad needs a smack in the mouth for his incredible stupidity and arrogance.

• Like 1

I know some people will blame the club but they were right what they did, obviously cant blame the kids but anything could have happened if they were in a different section of the crowd sitting next to some word removed

• Like 1

That's a completely different issue, although to be fair I haven't heard much racism at VP.

It's not the same thing.

Cheering for the away team doesn't get you chucked out because you've done a terrible heinous crime and must be punished for it!

You get chucked out because it incites crowd trouble. It's for your own safety if nothing else.

Gary neville didn't get fined for kissing his badge. He got fined for inciting crowd trouble, which just happened to be a result of kissing his badge (in front of the liverpool fans)

It's nothing to do with it being better or worse than Racism. Racism will get you chucked out becuase it IS a terrible thing to do. But it's a totally different issue.

It's a difficult one, because from a moral standpoint, I have no objection to opposition fans sitting in home areas, as long as they are discrete. If you stand up when the home team scores and say nothing when your team scores, you'll be fine. We've all done it. 

This dad is to blame for not teaching his kids properly. I have no sympathy for him, and that's not a partisan viewpoint because it's Villa. It's just common sense. 

Exactly this- those two little words 'common sense' are exactly what this father should have applied. I've sat in an away end on numerous occasions and likewise had supporters of other clubs go with me to Villa Park.I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think I could control my emotions.  If the kids are not old enough or mature enough to understand that common sense needs to be applied in this situation, then they shouldn't be going to the game. (they obviously don't have too much common sense as everyone knows that Man City or Chelsea are the teams to support if you're a glory hunter now!!)

Â