Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

I think I read somewhere we have won 1 out of 16 boxing day fixtures lol

As long as I've supported the villa we've always been dire over the Christmas fixtures, my birthday is the 28th of december & im yet to see us win a game that day.
I'm sure I went to a game about 10 years ago on December 28th and we beat Fulham 3-0

2003. 11 years ago, not 10......

feels more like 3 or 4 years ago. Remember being at the back of the Holte and Vassell burying a cross for 3-0. What ever happened to Vassell? I looked at his wiki and he hasn't had a club for 2 years despite being only 34 now. Surely good enough for the lower leagues?

Would love a win away at Swansea, especially given it's Boxing Day and would put us into a good position for Sunderland a few days after. Realistically though, it's a tough game, we're not favourites, I'd take a draw honestly but can't help think there's a chance of nicking a win given our counter attacking style works well away from home. Perhaps it's the mulled wine! 

Is there a Sunderland (home) thread yet for the game on the 28th? Got a ticket today. 

the big question i guess is will Lambert drop a defender to accommodate Cleverly's return?

if so which defender?

I don't think he'll drop Vlaar.

Vlaar as I think okore & Clark have been excellent

Hutton

Hutton okore Clark cissokho

Cleverly Sanchez delph

Bacuna benteke gabby

the big question i guess is will Lambert drop a defender to accommodate Cleverly's return?

if so which defender?

I don't think he'll drop Vlaar.

Vlaar as I think okore & Clark have been excellent

Hutton

Hutton okore Clark cissokho

Cleverly Sanchez delph

Bacuna benteke gabby

This is an excellent line-up. I especially like the bold move of putting Hutton in goal. He has been on fire this season and I think he can easily cover right back and goal. 

• Like 4

Matchday!

I don't think Lambert wants to drop any of Vlaar, Okore or Clark. Therefore, we will probably stick to five at the back. Hutton and Cleverley come in and that's it. If we change to four at the back I think we'll do the same as when Gabby got red and drop Aly.

------------------------------ Guzan ------------------------------

Hutton ------------Okore ----------Vlaar ---------------Clark

------------------------------ Sanchez ---------------------------

---------- Cleverley ------------------------Delph --------------

----------------------------- Weimann ---------------------------

------------Benteke ----------------------- Gabby -------------

Villa fan resident in Swansea,Aston Lichfield Rd family. Been to Swans home games several times this season and you can take it from me they are a more than useful side at the Liberty,they play open attacking football mainly based on wing play with Montero,Routledge and Dyer the main players out wide.Bony is a top top striker, he misses a few then bang one out of the blue,they have their weaknesses,mainly at full back where the sands of time are beginning to slow Rangel's legs and Taylor (now a nasty piece of work) can let crosses pass him by,forget attacking down the middle Williams and Fernandez are top defenders with Williams possibly the best central defender in the PL. The match day atmosphere at the Liberty is very good,promises to be a pulsating match in damp conditions,the LIberty pitch is always in brilliant condition.

In their last home game the Swans played Spurs off the park yet lost 2-1 when the score should have been at least 3-1 the other way,but as we all know that's football,Villa can get a result today,one point would be good,but the fear I have is that in one game everything is going to go in for the Swans,if today is that day could be a tough afternoon.

• Like 1