• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

I still hope we don't let delph leave for free. He is a great midfield player and we should keep just another season and then cash in.

also I want to see more of bacuna and less of nzogbia

oh and that ref was a joke

I'd be very surprised if the red card doesn't get rescinded. I agree with a poster earlier, that I still don't think we would have won with 11 players but that doesn't excuse that woeful decision. It seemed to fire us up and we were getting a few niggly calls our way for once that we never do against United. 

The crowd seemed to make a massive difference after the send off.  The fact that we probably had more clear cut chances to win the game than they did in the last 10 minutes is incredibly encouraging.

Bacuna was superb and while it was great to see the passion I thought Benteke was way out of line going off at him about that last cross. Fact is it was probably 2 inches away from Zog's boot with the goal wide open, and a hungrier player like Weimann or Delph might just have scored.

Red card was utterly ludicrous. Thankfully it did not particularly affect the result.

The 5 - 2- 3 formation seemed to work pretty well too. If only Gabby and Andi weren't so bloody awful with the ball. 

I'd of loved to of seen how Hutton would of got on vs Young, he hopefully would of gave him a few kicks especially after the red and most likely would of prevented the cross for the goal.  It was a bit of a blessing that LVG put Young at right back as he was getting in dangerous crosses all day against Lowton.

Norwegian pundit saying the red was 'fair enough'. Did they even discuss Blackett's studs on Lowton for comparison? Did they bollocks. TV for gloryhunters. Don't you just love modern football and media?

• Like 4

Echo what others have said. Awful decision by the referee but despite that we could have nicked the win.

The tactics by Lambert were good and it's nice to see us try and pass the ball even under pressure. Against lesser opposition it's even more beneficial. 

I thought Weimann did surprisingly well in midfield. Our defence was immense, especially Okore and Vlaar but Lowton was poor defensively and is just too slow. Guzan commanded his area very well and made some good interceptions.

Agree with those that say Bacuna should get a chance in the starting 11 next week, he was very lively.

On to three points vs Swansea next week please!

Good team performance, a point against a resurgent Man Utd and being a man down for 1/3 of the match is commendable. No complaints against Lambert, the ref was a complete idiot/bought, but we ground out a draw. Good result. 

I really hope we retain Delph, cuz he is the only MF we have who really plays a positive attacking role. 

Okore was a beast again...which seems to signal the end of the road for Ron Vlaar. 

I would have given Okore MOTM, but Benteke again single handedly grabbed that beauty of a goal which allowed us to play more freely and keep them off our doorstep. Have to give it to Tekkers.

Hopefully something to build on, but not holding my breath.

Nonetheless, a good day for Villa.

Would like to see Lambert going with 3-5-2 for the next match -

Guzan

Okore Vlaar Clark

Hutton Cissokho (wingbacks obviously)

Sanchez

Bacuna Delph

Weimann Benteke

Great... it's not showing up properly (but you get the idea)

Edited by Khizzy
  • Like 1

With a goal like that, Benteke is the only real choice for MotM. Hartson said that not many can score a goal like that, especially if you're a big target man. That was just amazing.

Lambert did well when he changed the formation too. Right tactics all around.

A point against ManU with ten men - no complaints from me.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 2

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert: "I thought we looked great.

"I thought the goal was a world-class goal from Christian and the sending-off put us on the back foot.

"I didn't think it was a sending off to be fair. Ashley Young has said to Brad Guzan that he made the foul on Gabriel Agbonlahor.

"That was not a sending off, everyone in the ground saw that."

Shock horror.

• Like 2

They had loads and loads of the ball, we had the better chances. I thought we played well, Okore was excellent, Benteke was a real handful, Guzan caught anything that came near him, and everyone put in a shift. Delph just about gets MotM for me, especially after the sending off he was excellent at moving the ball out of our half and into theirs, which was exactly what we needed.

For the sending off, from where I was I was expecting the foul to be given the other way, it looked like Young had gone in very high. I haven't seen a replay as yet, but it sounds like the red was harsh. Young was a cock all afternoon, had could have gone for trying to headset Benteke while they contested a throw in.

This lot think they're in the title race. I like a laugh as much as the next man, but come on, seriously? :)

Some decent stuff, good positive performances from a bundle of em and a couple of clever, positive substitutions from the manager, I'm putting this one down as a good day at Villa Park.

A word for Andy Weimann who was terrifically disciplined in midfield, particularly in the first half, well done him.

Same formation against Sunderland please, with Weimann up front for Gabby and Grealish in behind.

• Like 2

Â