All New Funny Pics Thread - Clean Edition

Xann

Odd that is is bostin', really. 

Given the Brummie penchant for emphasising 'g's, you'd think it'd be bostinG. 

That's another thing my missus takes the piss out of me for - I say dancinG, sinGinG, etc. The funny thing is, she's equally critical of people who drop the final 'g' - dancin' and singin'. Apparently there has to be just the exact amount of 'g' sound in there. 

On 19/09/2018 at 20:06, mjmooney said:

This joke relies on pronunciation. Ages ago, we had a VT OT discussion on how to pronounce 'one'. My wife insists that it rhymes with 'run' (so the joke would work). I say it to pronounce with 'on'. Is this a Brummie thing? 

Confession time: the first time I went to VP I was young and naiive and had never been to Birmingham. I was also at the beginning of my love affair with Villa. I couldn’t fully understand the accent and I genuinely thought everyone was singing “Holte Enders iiinnnnn disguise” ?‍♂️. I didn’t really understand the chant until I figured out it as “the sky” (or “the skoy”).

I’m from Oxford so I sound dead posh and like an utter bellend when singing at footie games alongside you rapscallions.

• Like 2

On 20/09/2018 at 17:23, mjmooney said:

Odd that is is bostin', really. 

Given the Brummie penchant for emphasising 'g's, you'd think it'd be bostinG. 

That's another thing my missus takes the piss out of me for - I say dancinG, sinGinG, etc. The funny thing is, she's equally critical of people who drop the final 'g' - dancin' and singin'. Apparently there has to be just the exact amount of 'g' sound in there. 

Is that a Brummie thing? My uni mates took the piss out of me incessantly for my overpronounced ‘ings’.

I’m from Lichfield and don’t have a Brummie accent but most of my family do so I guess it’s the one thing I must have picked up.

Thanks! Been wondering about that for years. Thought it was just me.

Â