Drones

Risso

I've just treated myself to one of these:

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus

An absolutely brilliant bit of kit I have to say.  Basically, it's a posh remote control quad copter with a camera to take aerial photos.  It's so easy to control and the quality of the photos is brilliant.

You can't use them around airports and the like, but where I live it's unrestricted so had great fun at the weekend taking shots of the house etc.

Anybody else used one/got one?

I'd love one but I'd probably get one with the gopro mount so I can use that instead. My next fad.

If you've got a Gopro then good idea, but the built in camera is very good if not.

There's loads of these now.

The big UK broadcast show, The Broadcast Video Expo, could have been mistaken for an RC convention over the past couple of years.

29q0akh.jpg

This one's quite modest.

Peddlers of WMDs to dictators need not apply!

Harsh! We don't do WMDs. Sadly, the dictators thing is broadly accurate, though it's actually the UK Gov't that does the sales.

I don't know, I bet the average stealth bomber can unleash some destruction that could be described as mass!

And yes Xann, they are becoming quite popular.  I'm specifically using mine to take aerial photos for a holiday accommodation business I'm setting up.

I'd enjoy them while you can. I think some moves to restrict the use of these (certainly on the mainland) will happen within a year or so.    I'd be interested to see you post a video from yours Riss.  

I'd enjoy them while you can. I think some moves to restrict the use of these (certainly on the mainland) will happen within a year or so.    I'd be interested to see you post a video from yours Riss.  

Yep, you're probably right.  They're already restricted around airports within a certain distance.  Hopefully the IOM will be its usual 20 years behind everything the UK does!

• 2 weeks later...

I've "ordered" one.

Tempted. The DJI is a superb bit of kit with impressive height and range, but that looks like the sort of thing you could stick in your glove locker. Not sure about flying it around the living room though as in that video!

I get the impression that you don't really "fly" the Zano. You can if you want to, but you tell it what to do and it does it.

They've reached the stretch goal to create "tracking" which will follow something around based on image analysis. Clever stuff. They need about £5m in the next 5 days to get the final stretch goal "swarming". Multiple device control so that you can capture the same image from different angles.

I want one and then I want to go up a mountain on a day when it's not too windy.

And they are British. I wonder if there is anyone on here who works in the UAV sector? :)

Looks amazing. Was about to pledge £189 for the red edition but realised I would be paying in 6 days. Other half wouldn't be too happy at the moment. One thing's for sure, as these things keep getting cheaper and better, the future's looking good.

Â