• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Lots of strange posts in this thread. The sending off completely changed the game.

Richardson was sent off @ 21:29

In that time, Villa:

- Won a few free kicks

- Had a couple of corners

- Did not get a single shot on target

- Had to defend like mad (Pocognoli and Dorrans shots)

- Had no direction, no tactics... hoofed the ball up field

So what actually changed after Richardson was sent off?

The team we were playing had more players on the pitch than us.

Lots of strange posts in this thread. The sending off completely changed the game.

In that time, Villa:

- Won a few free kicks

Don't think we'd have lost with 11 men given how poor WBA are.

It could well have been one of those nick a 1-0 lead and get out of here jobs like we saw at Palace, Stoke and very nearly Burnley this season.

Obviously when you're playing with 10 men for 70 odd minutes there's a very high probability you'll lose the game and I'll say that for any premier league team, even Chelsea.

Look at Arsenal last week, got two quick goals back at Stoke, looked good for a draw and the Chambers sending off kills their comeback completely.

• Like 1

Picking Richardson and N'Zog in the same midfield is asking for trouble. I've always thought Richardson was average at best and today his poor technique resulted in a red card.

Hopefully he won't start another game  from now on. We missed Westwood today.

Rush of blood to Richardsons head totally altered the dynamics of what could have been a really good game. Its never going to be easy being a man down for 70mins of a derby game. Having said that, it happened so pointless dwelling on it.

Very pleased with Okore and Sanchez again. These two and a resurgent Clark are looking to be building a formidable little trio.

I think the whole game stunk of the fear of losing. Lambert set us up from the start not to lose the game with Benteke as the lone striker already being marked out the game. When we got Richardson sent off he was devoid of any plan B. That Guzan was down the other end in the last minute mirrored the Bradford debarcle and showed Lambert panicking and out of ideas. 

• Like 2

In that time, Villa:

- Won a few free kicks

Yes but in the early part of the game the teams are feeling each other out. We had control of the game until the sending off and after that it was all West Brom. 

In that time, Villa:

- Won a few free kicks

Yes but in the early part of the game the teams are feeling each other out. We had control of the game until the sending off and after that it was all West Brom.

Which is normal. I just think they were so bad we could've taken them with ten men, especially if the real Benteke had shown up.

Poor team selection for me. Local derbies need a cool composed head in the midfield. Grealish would have been my choice as he his composed. Terrible hot headed decision by Richardson, CNZ offered absolutely nothing (again).

Man of the match for me was Okore. This lad shows good promise. Sanchez also played well IMO. Not too disheartened given that we only had 10 men for the vast majority of the game. Really pissed that Grealish doesnt get a start. Delph for Cleverley and Grealish for CNZ next week.

I am sorry but what has Grealish done so far? Very little. He is a kid with promise but chucking him in a derby game wouldn't have helped matters. Today was a disappointing result on a back of a decent run. Let's take a chill pill and see where we are in a few weeks time. Swansea, Palace, Sunderland and of course United (!) are games we should pick up some points in.

• Like 1

Richardson may well have cost us three points but anything can happen in derby games we know that. Who knows what would have happened. One thing for sure is that we would have been better with 11 men.

• Like 1

I think the whole game stunk of the fear of losing. Lambert set us up from the start not to lose the game with Benteke as the lone striker already being marked out the game. When we got Richardson sent off he was devoid of any plan B. That Guzan was down the other end in the last minute mirrored the Bradford debarcle and showed Lambert panicking and out of ideas.

I get that you don't like Lambert. I even understand you have some very good reasons for that dislike, but that's just really blind, reflex blame, and just wrong. This was ot Lambert's fault. It was Richardsons. End of. Lambert set is up with 3 up front, not one as you falsely assert. In fact Gabby was often ahead of Benteke for flicks as has been a trend recently. The plan b that you were unable to see, was pretty clear to me. Drop Zog back a bit to help in midfield and carry it forward if possible. As the match went on, and the pressure of an extra man mounted, gabby dropped more, too. finally, pushing the keeper forward late is not some panicked idea Lambert dreamed up at the last minute. It's throwing everything possible forward, caution to the wind, to get something from the match....hardly the defensive mindset you claim.

I am sometimes frustrated with our tactics, too. But this match was not lost on tactics.

• Like 2

We were bloody awful once again, I have given Okore MoM but tbh if I were marking out of 10 he would get a five.

Not one of our team were able to supply Benteke or Gabby any good service but they were both so poor it's doubtful they would have done anything anyway.

Really poor all round however Albion were even worse so we may yet survive another season.

We were bloody awful once again, I have given Okore MoM but tbh if I were marking out of 10 he would get a five.

Not one of our team were able to supply Benteke or Gabby any good service but they were both so poor it's doubtful they would have done anything anyway.

Really poor all round however Albion were even worse so we may yet survive another season.

Agree with everyone else on the thread apart from you and about two others that have just written drivel about lambert tactics and vlaar.

Early sending off changed everything and we created chances for benteke who fluffed his lines.

Nothing to see here.

I get that you don't like Lambert. I even understand you have some very good reasons for that dislike, but that's just really blind, reflex blame, and just wrong. This was ot Lambert's fault. It was Richardsons. End of. Lambert set is up with 3 up front, not one as you falsely assert.......

I am sometimes frustrated with our tactics, too. But this match was not lost on tactics.

Sorry but N'Zogbia and Richardson should not have started in the first place, I (and I am sure most here) have no idea why N'Zogbia is starting games, he sadly offers nothing, he has all the chances in the world to get back into some form but its obvious to world + dog - Lambert that that is not going to happen.

Richardson had a rush of blood to the head but that happens, thing is even though so many here dislike weimann for unknown reasons he should have started (unless not fit).

Not sure why anyone voted for Sanchez, he has improved from a 50/50 percent chance of competing a pass to probably 70/30 but thats still not good enough in his position though I see his potential in glimpses. Benteke played quite well I thought, Gabby mostly anonymous, Delph at least gave us a couple of `shots on target` for the stats, after the goal WBA played like we normally do, Lambert should have made the changes there and then, 1/2/3 goal loss makes do difference at this point in the season, we could have nicked a draw or more but as usual Lambert waits too long (though not as long as usual) to do anything about it.

Okore was truly excellent, Hutton also, Red card was a bit of a killer but Starting lineup was wrong (again) and subs were mistimed.

Cleverley provides no quality at all and its the attribute we most desperately need.

He doesn't tackle, doesn't run at players, doesn't provide much service. He's a lateral player who goes missing for huge patches of time during every game. Bacuna should be given chance to fill that role, he can attack and defend, and has more pace than TC.

Bacuna should be chosen over Clerverley purely for set pieces ability alone. Cleverley's corners and free kicks are purely a waste of time, just like his passes in open play.

The one and only quality that I can see Cleverley having over Bacuna is perhaps he'd retain possession better. For reasons with his passing we all know why.

In that time, Villa:

- Won a few free kicks

Yeah, no.

Â