• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

We're keeping possession of the ball better these days, but we were poor up front, indeed Benteke had an off-day, couldn't make the ball stick at all and then didn't take the chance when it finally came (though it was not an easy one with the players in front of him limiting what he had to aim for). Good in defence for the most part & Okore-Clark continues to look a good pairing, but sadly have to ask questions about Guzan again for the goal.

other plus points would be Sanchez looking more the part - he protects the ball much better now he's getting used to the pace - and Delph returning. Don't think we can blame Lambert too much, the half time change was the sensible response to the red card. Maybe needed to act sooner to make another change before their goal though, 'cause that came at the end of a long spell of pressure (albeit pretty low-quality pressure).

• Like 3

For what its worth

Guzan - 6 - Not a lot to do, not alot wrong with what he did.

Hutton - 7 - Fighter, maybe needs to ca.done a bit, good defending not so good going forward.

Cissokho - 6 - Good defensively, poor going forward. Didnt deserve to go off.

Okore - 8 - MOTM - Am really impressed with this guy, good in air, strong in tackle, reads game pretty well and looks for a ball out of defence.

Clarke - 7 - Another solid performance, looked confused when told to go left back looked like he was caught between going 3 at back or back 4.

Sanchez - 7 - Some good balls out wide, there to break up play and start attacks.

Cleverley - 6 - Tactics let hime down, doesnt need to.play so deep with sanchez but no support if in middle on his own. Nothing good or bad.

Richardson - 0 - Bad decision, bad touch, stupid tackle.

N'Zogbia - 4 - Doesnt bring anything to team, cant defend, cant beat a man or see a pass. Needs to go back tos basics.

Agbonlahor - 4 - Game seems to pass him by, never close enough to benteke, falls over if wind blows.

Benteke - 6 - No lack of effort, but needs 2 things 1 runners of him or 2 crosses, he doesnt get neither of his team mates.

Subs

Delph - 6 - Looked better when pushed up, doesnt need to be in same space as sanchez, with all 3 midfielders doing same role with no attacking threat.

Vlaar - 5 - Not sure why was brought on, did nothing.

Weimann - 5 - Didnt know where he was playing, left back, left wing back or left mid. Why not just push hime up to run of benteke.

Ref - Thought he was very good, very rarely (if ever put a foot wrong)

Manager - No comment

Tactics - Wrong first eleven, if your gonna play 3 centre midfielders dont have them all doing effectively the same job.

Not suprised about result, think the last few vames have papered over the cracks. Think we will be alright just dont expect anything, we will win a few game we dont deserve or wouldnt have put money on but will lose the majority.

Edited by TonyDaley

The only positive to take from this loss is that it might convince Lerner that we need to strengthen the squad in January instead of staying with the same players that hadn't lost in 5 matches.

We need help.

Cleverley provides no quality at all and its the attribute we most desperately need.

I voted for Sanchez MOTM. I think he is one of the reasons that Clark and Okore are doing so well -  the opposition are having less free runs at them because Sanchez is putting out fires before they get down there. He seems to have picked up the range and the tempo and his passes are far more reliable now.

Was very disappointed with Benteke. Appeared to me to spend much of the match glaring at and berating his teammates but when his big moment came he fluffed his lines.

• Like 2

I thought we would have created more on the break in the second half, poor touches and poor passes let us down. I still thought we could get something out of the game even with the early sending off, and we were maybe unlucky not to.

Cleverley provides no quality at all and its the attribute we most desperately need.

He doesn't tackle, doesn't run at players, doesn't provide much service. He's a lateral player who goes missing for huge patches of time during every game. Bacuna should be given chance to fill that role, he can attack and defend, and has more pace than TC.

Edited by maqroll

Sanchez MOTM for me. Very impressed with his range of passing. Okore also worthy of a mention. He's getting stronger every game.

Still don't think it was a sending off. Yes he over-ran the ball and gave Dean a decision to make but for me it was a booking at worst bearing in mind it was early and a derby game. Mike Dean does love the spotlight thought doesn't he?

Thought we did well 1st half when down to 10 but Olbiyun were always going to have a good spell which they managed to scored in.

Not really sure how I feel at the moment. Playing 70mins with 10 men was always going to be a big ask but Olbiyun didn't look much better than Leicester last week if I'm being honest

He doesn't tackle, doesn't run at players, doesn't provide much service. He's a lateral player who goes missing for huge patches of time during every game. Bacuna should be given chance to fill that role, he can attack and defend, and has more pace than TC.

There was a point in the game today, where he got the ball in the middle of the park, and had the opportunity to run at the Albion defence and cause havoc, with Benteke and Gabby running either side of him. He slowed down and took the ball out to the side line. Sums him up. 

Poor team selection for me. Local derbies need a cool composed head in the midfield. Grealish would have been my choice as he his composed. Terrible hot headed decision by Richardson, CNZ offered absolutely nothing (again).

Man of the match for me was Okore. This lad shows good promise. Sanchez also played well IMO. Not too disheartened given that we only had 10 men for the vast majority of the game. Really pissed that Grealish doesnt get a start. Delph for Cleverley and Grealish for CNZ next week.

It's very easy to blame Richardson.

During half-time they showed highlights of a 2011 AVFC vs WBA match, in which WBA were down to 10 men................... and they won.

We were simply diabolical, even before Richardson was sent off.

• Like 2

Was confused by the starting 11.

I would never have started N'Zogbia or Richardson based on previous performances.

Felt sorry for Bacuna and Robinson not even to be on the bench.

Why was Vlaar introduced for Cissokho?

Cleverly needs to return to Man U and we spend the £8 mill on someone else.

Still to see what in my opinion is Villa's best starting X11.

_______________Guzan_______________

__Hutton___Okore______Vlaar__Cissokho_

_______________Sanchez______________

_______Westwood_______Delph_________

___Gabby___________________Grealish__

_______________Benteke_______________

A game with very few positives. I didn't see any mistakes from Clark, so I gave MotM to him. Defense was our best part as usual, but even Hutton and Okore got fleeced a couple times each.

Sanchez was quietly one of our best players today, other midfielders including Delph crap.

No beast in Benteke's tank today.

And Guzan was at fault for the goal. What was he doing?

Aarrgghh, still annoyed. We could've won, even with ten men. Richardson didn't lose this game for us by himself. Everyone else chipped in too.

Edited by AVTuco

For once a loss but it's easy to see positives. Okore is looking fantastic now that he's having a run of games, along with Vlaar coming back and Clark, Baker, and Senderos all playing well above expectations we've got a very strong defensive unit now. Delph has come back and (if he stays) could form a better midfield with Sanchez than we've had for the last few years. We were narrowly beaten when down to ten men and could have drew or even won if the strikers had performed better today.

Lastly, no Richardson for three games means...

dumbledore-party-hard.gif

Did I watch a different fecking game ?

Because I recall very little positives in the game I saw .

Lots of strange posts in this thread. The sending off completely changed the game.

Richardson was sent off @ 21:29

In that time, Villa:

- Won a few free kicks

- Had a couple of corners

- Did not get a single shot on target

- Had to defend like mad (Pocognoli and Dorrans shots)

- Had no direction, no tactics... hoofed the ball up field

So what actually changed after Richardson was sent off?

Edited by F-87
  • Like 1

Â