Friday night games 2016/2017 Season

andykeenan

Monday night football has been around as long as the Premier League.  I'd always assumed you were of the age where you grew up with it.  How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I hate games on a Monday night tbh, awful day to watch football and you spend the whole of the weekend waiting for what is usually a flat game with a flat atmosphere.

The CL clubs will play in this slot you'd imagine, Mourinho is always whingeing foreign clubs move their games to Fridays before big champions league games.

Good luck to any away fan trying to make kick off in Friday rush hour on the trains or buses although I suppose you could tie it in with a weekend break in the city so it may become a more fan friendly kick off move than a lot of other games.

Actually to our German based fans on here, what was the reaction to the Bundesliga moving games to Fridays as they've been doing it for quite a few years now. Or are the fans there not that bothered given how well they're generally treated in going to games?

To be honest, I'd rather a Friday night game than a Monday night.

Football should be played on a weekend, I class Friday night as the weekend (as I don't have to get up for work Saturday) and reckon some decent Friday night fixtures could kick-start the weekend well.

However, if it's Crystal Palace vs Stoke (et al) most weeks it will be pointless.

• Like 1

Monday night football has been around as long as the Premier League.  I'd always assumed you were of the age where you grew up with it.  How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I did grow up with it but I thought, wrongly, that Monday night games were a later development.

I'm old school in a lot of ways when it comes to football, but I think the 3pm blackouts should end now. Technology has advanced, every game should be able to be viewed legally in this day and age. I don't think it would affect attendances too much as it's quite easy to watch them at home if you put your mind to it, just not legally.

Maybe it could also lower prices at the stadiums, as clubs will get a huge financial boost from every game being live?

For example, if we were to get 35000 at £40 a ticket now, the club would make just over £26m from the 19 games. I'm sure if they sold rights to every league game, then the clubs would make more from the deal and would maybe lower the tickets to Bundesliga prices.

Maybe it could also lower prices at the stadiums, as clubs will get a huge financial boost from every game being live?

For example, if we were to get 35000 at £40 a ticket now, the club would make just over £26m from the 19 games. I'm sure if they sold rights to every league game, then the clubs would make more from the deal and would maybe lower the tickets to Bundesliga prices.

:crylaugh:  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:  :crylaugh:

You are joking, right?    They could lower ticket prices or they could just keep the extra money.    

They will keep the extra money.

• Like 2

I think the 3pm rule is designed to help clubs lower down, in the conference and beyond as suddenly those 500 crowds could go very low indeed if there's premier league football live at 3pm on Sky rather than some dodgy feed from the middle east although I suppose you could make the point that's widely available in city centres and numerous pubs as it is.

I personally would allow 3pm games to be screened if it meant less games get moved to ridiculous times.

With digital cable/satellite/internet TV being what it is, they could be more granular about the 3pm blackout. Assign an attendance radius and a minimum attendance based on tier to each club above a certain level on the pyramid

20k/40 miles for Premier League

10k/20 miles for Championship

5k/10 miles for League 1

2500/5 miles for League 2

1000/5 miles for Conference Premier

500/5 miles for Conference North/South

Require the clubs to report by, say, Friday night if they've reached the threshold. If every game within that radius of your postcode hits the threshold, then the games get unlocked for you to view.

Alternatively, make Saturday 3pm games pay-per-view, with at least some portion of the proceeds being paid to clubs within radius of the buyer.

Under the next contract, it's probably reasonably likely that having a home game picked for TV is worth a million pounds in facilities fees for the club (25% of the UK contract is facility fees, so each game will be worth 0.15% of the annual total... if the annual average ends up being about 650-700 million pounds, then that's what the fee will be). Since a more full stadium is better for TV, the facilities fee from one extra game being picked outweighs offering half-price tickets for that game.

probably works out better for the fan think about your game is friday night if you go, you have whole of saturday and sunday to do as you please instead of sitting in the cold on whole day saturday or sunday when you may have work next day

this will have  a knock on effect for attendences on friday though i think

• Like 1

I quite like the idea to be honest. I understand why people might not, but I'm so adjusted to matches all through the week I'm not too fussed about sticking to Saturday 3pm kick offs. In fact, I like the fact the games are all spread out over the weekend, just means you can watch more.

A Friday night home game would mean I could go straight up Villa Park after work and then have two days free. Sounds good to me!  :cheers:

Admittedly away games would be more of a pain.

• Like 1

With digital cable/satellite/internet TV being what it is, they could be more granular about the 3pm blackout. Assign an attendance radius and a minimum attendance based on tier to each club above a certain level on the pyramid

20k/40 miles for Premier League

10k/20 miles for Championship

5k/10 miles for League 1

2500/5 miles for League 2

1000/5 miles for Conference Premier

500/5 miles for Conference North/South

Require the clubs to report by, say, Friday night if they've reached the threshold. If every game within that radius of your postcode hits the threshold, then the games get unlocked for you to view.

Alternatively, make Saturday 3pm games pay-per-view, with at least some portion of the proceeds being paid to clubs within radius of the buyer.

Under the next contract, it's probably reasonably likely that having a home game picked for TV is worth a million pounds in facilities fees for the club (25% of the UK contract is facility fees, so each game will be worth 0.15% of the annual total... if the annual average ends up being about 650-700 million pounds, then that's what the fee will be). Since a more full stadium is better for TV, the facilities fee from one extra game being picked outweighs offering half-price tickets for that game.

Surely all that will do is encourage more people to support Manchester United? 

Â