What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

I love Nick Cave. I heard Deanna as a surly youth and was hooked, regardless of my love for him at times I think he is more famous and more popular than he should be. The venue's he plays are pretty damn big and I double take and think when did that happen. Everyone seems to love him, but not a single person in my wider circle of friends owns anything by him or would profess to liking him. Is it basically men on the internet that like him?

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Is it basically men on the internet that like him?

Nah, the good lady wife, both my sisters and a few female friends all absolutely love him.

The missus bought me Murder Ballads in the mid nineties as I’d mentioned to her that I loved Where the Wild Roses Grow. One listen to O’Malley’s Bar and the rest as they say is history.

I knew I’d married her for a reason 😉

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 07:33, Seat68 said:

... at times I think he is more famous and more popular than he should be...

He's got a strong fan base.  

Suspect he's become the destination artist for lots of pissed off Morrissey fans over recent years too :)

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 07:33, Seat68 said:

I love Nick Cave. I heard Deanna as a surly youth and was hooked, regardless of my love for him at times I think he is more famous and more popular than he should be. The venue's he plays are pretty damn big and I double take and think when did that happen. Everyone seems to love him, but not a single person in my wider circle of friends owns anything by him or would profess to liking him. Is it basically men on the internet that like him?

Isn't a lot of it that most people don't really love Nick Cave, they just love one or two songs that they know? Red Right Hand was the Peaky Blinders theme and Into My Arms was used beautifully in Ricky Gervais's Afterlife.

He's similar to Neil Young in that respect. Will draw a huge crowd because of the really famous stuff (Rocking in the Free World, Hey Hey My My, Heart of Gold) but after that most of the audience are lost.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Isn't a lot of it that most people don't really love Nick Cave, they just love one or two songs that they know? Red Right Hand was the Peaky Blinders theme and Into My Arms was used beautifully in Ricky Gervais's Afterlife.

He's similar to Neil Young in that respect. Will draw a huge crowd because of the really famous stuff (Rocking in the Free World, Hey Hey My My, Heart of Gold) but after that most of the audience are lost.

Not in my opinion. For example side project Grinderman. @bickster and myself went to them in Manchester, in the big Academy. Rammed, and with the kindest will in the world none of their sounds are really famous or even well known. Him and his band are popular despite not much radio play. Even the TV has only started using his songs relatively recently.

anyway, his sideline will make sure he’s always ok

Release the Pigeons

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, blandy said:

Not in my opinion. For example side project Grinderman. @bickster and myself went to them in Manchester, in the big Academy. Rammed, and with the kindest will in the world none of their sounds are really famous or even well known. Him and his band are popular despite not much radio play. Even the TV has only started using his songs relatively recently.

anyway, his sideline will make sure he’s always ok

We also went to see him with the Bad Seeds and @Designer1at the old O2 Academy in Brum. That was rammed too and well before his music was played much on the tellybox

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

People wouldn't really shell out fifty notes because one song was the theme tune to a TV programme? Would they?

I know the royalties and whatnot can make a healthy difference to the bank balance, but I just couldn't imagine spending money to watch The Barry Horns purely because they did the theme to The One Show.

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think you're comments about Neil Young are also well wide of the mark, he could play a four hour set live and still not get through all the "really famous" songs

57 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think you're comments about Neil Young are also well wide of the mark, he could play a four hour set live and still not get through all the "really famous" songs

There are others too. Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, PJ Harvey etc.- not and never mainstream, but with a really big group of fans and huge back Catalogues who did or do fill big venues and who have a mixed age and gender audience of devotees.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

We also went to see him with the Bad Seeds and @Designer1at the old O2 Academy in Brum

Yeah. I remember 4 things from that gig, the gig itself was excellent, seeing that goth lass there who had also been at the Björk gig the week before in Blackpool - what are the chances!, the queue to get to the ticket machine and out of the car park after - so going to the square peg instead and the queue still being there an hour later, and obviously meeting up with Simon.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

People wouldn't really shell out fifty notes because one song was the theme tune to a TV programme? Would they?

I know the royalties and whatnot can make a healthy difference to the bank balance, but I just couldn't imagine spending money to watch The Barry Horns purely because they did the theme to The One Show.

In London I think they would tbh. But no you're all probably right, the audience must be mostly "proper" fans. Was just pondering an answer to @Seat68's question.

@blandy is right about Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen and PJ Harvey. If you look at Nick Cave on Spotify, I think Tom Waits and PJ Harvey come up on the "Fans Also Like" list. It's a mood, I suppose.

I personally got into Nick Cave because there was a live version of the Ship Song doing the rounds on Napster. I must have been searching for PJ Harvey. I don't know if she was even on it, but you remember how everything on Napster was incorrectly labelled?

Which reminds me...

• Like 3

Â