What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

On 14/07/2018 at 13:57, chrisp65 said:

to be fair to them (here's their album launch publicity photo) and me, there's not a ginger dreadlock between us

img_9799.jpg

Taken in it's widest definition, it probably is my fave 'genre' even though I hate genres. But a quick scan through the records I've currently got 'out' and a good half of them are probably ska, rocksteady, reggae and dub. But with straight reggae being very much the lesser group. I kinda jump from ska and rocksteady to dub. I don't own and never have owned a single Bob Marley record. For me, it's a hangover from that whole late 70's punky reggae thing and a love of legit lo fi.

It was fascinating as a kid, surrounded by relatives that worked in heavy industry, or the docks, were in the forces, or were prison wardens, to observe their reaction to someone playing some Stranglers or Scratch Perry. Everybody I knew, every relative, the neighbours, it was the same old dreary crap, Genesis, Queen, Raindow, Black Sabbath. 

I'd be wearing a skinny suit and stick on 'Police and thieves', or 'Guns of Brixton' and it's like I've just taken a huge shit in the fruit bowl! 

I guess a bit like yourself, being a northerner, in to line dancing rather than brass bands.

The only reggae I can listen to is Bob Marley. I think he did some cracking songs. Some of them feel kind of rocky if you know what I mean. Me and you are opposite ends of the spectrum. Ska and all that is probably my biggest dislike in music, where as you're the same with heavy rock/metal. 

59 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The only reggae I can listen to is Bob Marley. I think he did some cracking songs. Some of them feel kind of rocky if you know what I mean. Me and you are opposite ends of the spectrum. Ska and all that is probably my biggest dislike in music, where as you're the same with heavy rock/metal. 

Biggest dislike in music? I'm no great lover of ska and reggae, but I think it's utterly brilliant compared to rap/hip hop. 

Not a fan, but the official video to this song was filmed in Rugeley. You can see my kids school in the background, and it's mostly filmed in the church yard next to the school. When it was filmed a lot of people got excited, and thought Elvis was coming to Rugeley to film the video. Obviously as you can imagine a big crowd turned up, but were left disappointed. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2018 at 16:56, chrisp65 said:

One for the chaps that haven't turned full white rasta yet

Cybotron!

A bit of Aussie psych.

Like this, a lot but seems more Kraut / Prog to me

I will explore these further methinks

I have a doctors appointment in town today... I have money in my pocket, can only mean one thing as long as the doctor doesn't treat this appointment as anything more than the 5 minutes required

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:53, Rugeley Villa said:

The only reggae I can listen to is Bob Marley. I think he did some cracking songs. Some of them feel kind of rocky if you know what I mean.

That's probably because when Chris Blackwell (or Chris Whitebad, as the Rastas used to call him), and Island got hold of him, they re-recorded a lot of earlier work, so as it would appeal to a Rock audience. Personally, give me his Wailing Wailers, or stuff that he did with 'Scratch' any day of the week.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

That's probably because when Chris Blackwell (or Chris Whitebad, as the Rastas used to call him), and Island got hold of him, they re-recorded a lot of earlier work, so as it would appeal to a Rock audience. Personally, give me his Wailing Wailers, or stuff that he did with 'Scratch' any day of the week.

This, this and more this.

Scratch was interviewed in one of the mags a couple of months back and Bob Marley was discussed. Not exactly enamoured with Bob Marley was Scratch

• Like 1

I have the "rock fan's reggae collection": 

Bob Marley Live at the Lyceum

The Harder They Come soundtrack

A Trojan hits compilation

and (slightly more left field) Dennis Bovell's "Brain Damage" LP. 

I play one (usually THTC) about once every two or three years. 

That upside-down beat very quickly gets on my nerves. 

Edited by mjmooney

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

and (slightly more left field) Dennis Bovell's "Brain Damage" LP. 

Odd choice, usually the "Left field" pick is John Holt's 1000 volts of Holt or Max Romeo's War ina Babylon (Lee Perry again)

EDIT: or Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution, Culture - Two Sevens Clash - or  Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves (Lee Perry again)

• Like 3

Â