What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

to be fair to them (here's their album launch publicity photo) and me, there's not a ginger dreadlock between us

img_9799.jpg

Taken in it's widest definition, it probably is my fave 'genre' even though I hate genres. But a quick scan through the records I've currently got 'out' and a good half of them are probably ska, rocksteady, reggae and dub. But with straight reggae being very much the lesser group. I kinda jump from ska and rocksteady to dub. I don't own and never have owned a single Bob Marley record. For me, it's a hangover from that whole late 70's punky reggae thing and a love of legit lo fi.

It was fascinating as a kid, surrounded by relatives that worked in heavy industry, or the docks, were in the forces, or were prison wardens, to observe their reaction to someone playing some Stranglers or Scratch Perry. Everybody I knew, every relative, the neighbours, it was the same old dreary crap, Genesis, Queen, Raindow, Black Sabbath. 

I'd be wearing a skinny suit and stick on 'Police and thieves', or 'Guns of Brixton' and it's like I've just taken a huge shit in the fruit bowl! 

I guess a bit like yourself, being a northerner, in to line dancing rather than brass bands.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

to be fair to them (here's their album launch publicity photo) and me, there's not a ginger dreadlock between us

img_9799.jpg

Taken in it's widest definition, it probably is my fave 'genre' even though I hate genres. But a quick scan through the records I've currently got 'out' and a good half of them are probably ska, rocksteady, reggae and dub. But with straight reggae being very much the lesser group. I kinda jump from ska and rocksteady to dub. I don't own and never have owned a single Bob Marley record. For me, it's a hangover from that whole late 70's punky reggae thing and a love of legit lo fi.

It was fascinating as a kid, surrounded by relatives that worked in heavy industry, or the docks, were in the forces, or were prison wardens, to observe their reaction to someone playing some Stranglers or Scratch Perry. Everybody I knew, every relative, the neighbours, it was the same old dreary crap, Genesis, Queen, Raindow, Black Sabbath. 

I'd be wearing a skinny suit and stick on 'Police and thieves', or 'Guns of Brixton' and it's like I've just taken a huge shit in the fruit bowl! 

I guess a bit like yourself, being a northerner, in to line dancing rather than brass bands.

Damn straight. I feel a fraud in cowboy boots. Doesn't stop me though. 

• Like 1

Â