Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Our games with the Baggies are usually close affairs and I expect a close encounter this weekend. This game could go either way - hopefully Cleverley is back, else I can see Lambert bringing in Bacuna and Richardson. Not sure he'll use Grealish -would be nice to see him given a run as I thought he looked decent against Leicester - but I expect Lambert to try and keep it tight and solid so if Grealish is to feature I expect it'll be as a second half sub (depending on how the game is going). Benteke will be up against Lescott which should be a decent battle between the pair and hopefully we can try and keep Berahino quiet. This is a hard one to call and i'm always anxious in derbies -they are seemingly more desperate for the points that us which may (or may not) be an advantage to us, especially if we can grab and early goal. Shame we haven't got Westy for this as seeing how well he was playing against Leicester shoeed how much value he has for us when Benteke is in the team.

I think this could be a draw, a win would be unimaginably great - ultimately if we can continue our 5 game unbeaten run then that'll represent a decent spell after such a difficult autumn period for us.

Don't think its possible for us to win this game personally, we simply don't win 3 games on the bounce.

Having said that i don't think there are any teams in the league bar Leicester who are playing with less confidence at the minute so we should look to take advantage of that. I think the key is in the first goal for this match.

A lot of criticism of Lambert may be up for debate but if he drops anyone from our defence of the last few games he deserves all the stick he gets.

You don't change winning teams imo. Make players earn their place.

I agree with this. Okore and Clark must start. Delph might go straight back into the first team due to the injury to Westwood but Vlaar should be on the bench.

• Like 1

Generally speaking I think Lambert has been pretty good with making players wait to get into the side, can't think of an outstanding example where he's been really unfair on a player so I expect the defence will stay the same. Otherwise if Cleverley is fit, I think he starts with Richardson in the middle too, with Delph on the bench even if he's fit.

I'm prepared to crash and burn here but how about a return to 3-5-2/5-3-2?

Guzan

Hutton Okore Vlaar Clark Cissokho

Sanchez

Cleverley Delph

Gabby Benteke

That's assuming they're all fit, get Hutton and Cissohko pushing forward as often as possible to provide width. If Delph or Cleverley don't make the game then maybe Richardson or Bacuna could come into contention for a starting place?

I'm prepared to crash and burn here but how about a return to 3-5-2/5-3-2?

Guzan

Hutton Okore Vlaar Clark Cissokho

Sanchez

Cleverley Delph

Gabby Benteke

That's assuming they're all fit, get Hutton and Cissohko pushing forward as often as possible to provide width. If Delph or Cleverley don't make the game then maybe Richardson or Bacuna could come into contention for a starting place?

I think we might see a return to 3 at the back for the Man Utd game, but it seems like overkill vs. West Brom in my opinion.

Yeah, to Hell with Villa finishing in 7th place and playing against European sides next year. Too much of a hassle.

Playing Thursday nights against the dregs of European football in an endless competition really isn't appealing at all. Also given the budget at the club it would be more games with a small (crap) squad and we would be in serious danger of being relegated if we did qualify. The Europa league is a punishment not a reward.

We're never gonna win the league anyway, so who gives a shit really. I realise we're going off topic, but I'd take a decent run in the Europa over mid table mediocrity. I want me some European away days again! 

Why all the sudden talk of Delph possibly being fit for this one? Last week he had only just returned to non contact training. I can't see him being ready for a derby only a week later.

Edited by roonst83

Why all the sudden talk of Delph possibly being fit for this one? Last week he had only just returned to non contact training. I can't see him being ready for a derby only a week later.

From the OS:

Fabian Delph and Ron Vlaar could both be in contention for the West Brom derby on Saturday.

Delph and Vlaar will be assessed by boss Paul Lambert on Friday after coming through training this week ahead of the Baggies clash.

Delph enjoyed his first morning back with the claret and blue boys on Friday of last week and has stepped it up since.

He's been out for six weeks not six months so it's not like he needs a massive amount of fitness work to get back into the swing of things, just makes sure his arm and balance are o.k.

Have Delph on the bench and bring him on for 20 minutes as I'd like him to start v Man. United. Not sure on Vlaar.

From the OS:

Fabian Delph and Ron Vlaar could both be in contention for the West Brom derby on Saturday.

Delph and Vlaar will be assessed by boss Paul Lambert on Friday after coming through training this week ahead of the Baggies clash.

Delph enjoyed his first morning back with the claret and blue boys on Friday of last week and has stepped it up since.

Thanks for this. I'd be surprised to see either start but it's good news that they're both returning.