Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

4-5-1 with Gabby and Wieman in midfield. Park the bus, Hoof it upto Benteke so he can hold it up.

Not confident about this one at all they'll be bang up for this given their predicament and they hate us. 

Still bemused we managed to win our last away match vs Crystal Palace, we got a right tonking there.

• Like 1

Huge game.

Yes it is. I can't remember the last time we won 3 games in a row. And now would be the ideal time. A win would solidify us as contenders for a Europa League spot, no joke.

I would rather eat my own hands than be in the Europa league.

We simply haven't got the squad to be playing 3 times a week,

Added to the fact playing on a Thursday night followed by even more stupid o' clock kick offs on the Sunday.

It's a No from me.

The key to this game is the players keeping their heads. We've been here before, on a good run of games and approaching a good safe spot in the table, appearing to have turned the corner, only to roll up overconfident and blow it. WBA will be desperate for points and their players will come out fouling and kicking us off the pitch, trying to get the same reactions from our players that Spurs did. The team that stays calm will win this match.

• Like 4

With Cleverly likely to be out, a start for Bacuna perhaps?

I'm happy for baby steps at the moment, so I'd take a draw away. Given the current form of both teams a win should be attainable, but with Cleverly, Westwood and Delph out we're messing a big chunk of our midfield, so I'm erring on the side of caution. It's important not to lose though; we need to keep this positive run going and build the confidence of the team.

• Like 1

Yeah, to Hell with Villa finishing in 7th place and playing against European sides next year. Too much of a hassle.

Playing Thursday nights against the dregs of European football in an endless competition really isn't appealing at all. Also given the budget at the club it would be more games with a small (crap) squad and we would be in serious danger of being relegated if we did qualify. The Europa league is a punishment not a reward.

• Like 1

nah, it still helps us to attract new players, and it's a stepping stone. It is a hugely flawed tournament that needs streamlining, but I'd rather be in. I bloody loved that night against Ajax most recently for one. 

But first let us try to beat that lot. 

• Like 4

Cleverley likely to be fit for this game.

Out of all the games, this is the one I want to see us smash. Derbys are always good for a bit of spitting violence - hope it's a good show.

I'm also hoping Hercules and Bella get let of the leash and chew on Baggie Bird & Albi. Nomnomnomnomnomnom... :twisted:

That link also says that Vlaar should be back for this game. Be interesting to see if he starts.

Our games with the Baggies are usually close affairs and I expect a close encounter this weekend. This game could go either way - hopefully Cleverley is back, else I can see Lambert bringing in Bacuna and Richardson. Not sure he'll use Grealish -would be nice to see him given a run as I thought he looked decent against Leicester - but I expect Lambert to try and keep it tight and solid so if Grealish is to feature I expect it'll be as a second half sub (depending on how the game is going). Benteke will be up against Lescott which should be a decent battle between the pair and hopefully we can try and keep Berahino quiet. This is a hard one to call and i'm always anxious in derbies -they are seemingly more desperate for the points that us which may (or may not) be an advantage to us, especially if we can grab and early goal. Shame we haven't got Westy for this as seeing how well he was playing against Leicester shoeed how much value he has for us when Benteke is in the team.

I think this could be a draw, a win would be unimaginably great - ultimately if we can continue our 5 game unbeaten run then that'll represent a decent spell after such a difficult autumn period for us.

• Like 2