Weekends football 5/7 December

andykeenan

Head scratching punditry from sky & gnev with that penalty, discussing at length why it was a 'soft' penalty, despite replays showing a fair wedge of contact pushing Milner off balance causing him to go down.

Last season they had to magnify guzans bootlace grazing a stud on Suarez' boot to show why that was a definite penalty. Baffling really.

Don't get me started on this again :-(

Football = contact sport

Contact is allowed in the penalty area as it is all over the pitch, just because someone drops to the deck after said contact then it is not a penalty. Still needs to be a foul, contact is not enough on its own.

• Like 2

If that tackle happens outside the box its a free kick all day long, it happened in the box so its a penalty. I dont see the issue here. Milner getting up has caused the debate here. For me its a foul & a penalty.

The wider debate for me is why have pundits, & it is almost all of them been saying for the last 18 months that ANY contact in the box, intentional or fabricated (striker leaving a leg hanging to make contact) is a penalty, but the incident today was a soft penalty. Cant gave it both ways

bit of an aside but i dunno what you have against man cty fans. I know quite a few older man city fans who still have a big soft spot for us mainly coz they remeber morley and shaw. New Stadium might pack em in but the atmosphere is nowhere near the place maine road could be.

I have nothing "against" them, I just think that after years in the wilderness, you'd think the home support would be a bit more enthusiastic. Their Champions League showings have been embarrassing. 

sorry maqroll, wasnt trying to single you out there, just sticking up for some fans who also know what 100 years of underacheivement feels like ;)

That fact that Milner didn't appeal merely shows that he is one of a dying breed that plays to the whistle. If the ref says it's penalty, it's a penalty. Until then, play on.

Â