Help to buy (home)

dont_do_it_doug.

Has anyone had experience using this scheme? Allegedly, the government will put 20% towards a first home, which you then pay back to them at a low interest rate only needing to put 5% in yourself. You're then only due 75% to the bank.

Allegedly. Don't know anyone who had used this in practice and what kind of stipulations there are.

We thought about it. The problem was you had to choose certain properties, under certain conditions. In the end we found another way.

Which other way? I don't think I'll have a problem getting the mortgage, but not for the amount I really want. I don't mean to brag, but the monthly payments won't be an issue, it's just that a lot of my reddies are tied up in the business. Bonuses etc. So I know the banks are going to be awkward.

I could save a bigger deposit, but that takes time of course and I feel like now is the time to act.

The loan is interest only and you pay the 20% back at the end of the 25 years.

Also, if your house value goes up then so does the figure you owe the government.

End thread. Cheers for crushing my dreams!

That is what the woman said when I phoned them anyway.

I thought that you would pay it back over the 25 years, like you would with a mortgage. We were thinking of taking the 20%, putting our 20% down and having a 60% equity on our mortgage, but as soon as she said that it was a big no no.

Well there are two htb schemes. One in which you have a 5% deposit and get a 15% loan from the government and have to pay interest on after 5 years. The second newer option that we have has no loan, it's essentially a 95% mortgage and the government will insure the 15% that would make up the deposit to 20%. As the consumer its better because you do not have a loan and therefore no interest after 5 years. Lenders are quite picky so make sure you check your experian report. Even if you have good income you will be rejected if your credit score isn't good.

Well there are two htb schemes. One in which you have a 5% deposit and get a 15% loan from the government and have to pay interest on after 5 years. The second newer option that we have has no loan, it's essentially a 95% mortgage and the government will insure the 15% that would make up the deposit to 20%. As the consumer its better because you do not have a loan and therefore no interest after 5 years. Lenders are quite picky so make sure you check your experian report. Even if you have good income you will be rejected if your credit score isn't good.

Ah, now that's more like it. Thanks. If I understand you correctly the government simply act as a guarantor? Where did you go to arrange that?

Last time I checked my credit score was in the 800's.

The proper name for the scheme is "Help to Sell Crappy Newbuild That You Can't Flog Otherwise (public subsidies for Tory donors, sssh)

Hope that helps.

This one isn't for new builds, or at least I don't think so. I'd never touch a new build.

I'd rather bolitics stayed out of this one to be fair!

• Like 1

Ours is a beautiful Victorian end of terrace. The first scheme was intended for new builds I think. I think there is no obligation for lenders to offer 95% mortgages so they offer them when they fancy it and for a limited time. I'm no expert though so don't take my word as gospel!

This is why I wish sixth form would teach us about these things because I haven't a clue as to what is being said here.

Too late for all of us but I think they've stuck something about it in the national curriculum now thanks to a campaign from Martin Lewis (he of the moneysavingexpert 'fame'). He appears, however, to be of the mind that there ought to be a whole lot more and is still campaigning for that, I think.

Â