Assistant manager

David-Copenhagen

He's a popular guy, but assistant is one of these jobs that is intangible to me. You never really know how they are performing. Mostly you judge the managerial team as a whole and the manager tends to get most of the credit and bear most of the flak.

It's an interesting appointment, usually managers like people they have worked with before. I do wonder whether Sherwood identified him as the best candidate, or he was on a shortlist drawn up by the club.

Either way, it feels good to have a clubman, back at Villa.

Edited by PompeyVillan

• 2 weeks later...

He was there on the bench, but I don't think he was sitting next to Sherwood as you'd might expect. I wonder if really he's just Assistant Manager in name, until the season ends..

He was there on the bench, but I don't think he was sitting next to Sherwood as you'd might expect. I wonder if really he's just Assistant Manager in name, until the season ends..

It does come across like that from the snippets on TV. Maybe those at the games can enlighten me more but is Sherwood in regular consultation with K-Mac throughout the match? Robson seems more like his 'right-hand man' although I might be reading into things too much.

Talking bout parks but I saw guzans distribution was much better last night. Things looking up. I feel it'll be the same result Saturday.

I told a work mate who text me from London who bets on the footie to bet on villa to win. He put it down as a draw! Missed out on a treble!! He got the other two right.

Edited by nazvfc

• 5 weeks later...

By Sami Mokbel for the Daily Mail

22:32 02 Apr 2015, updated 22:32 02 Apr 2015

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood will move for Chris Ramsey if the Queens Park Rangers manager leaves the London club this summer.

The pair forged a close bond during their time together at Tottenham and Sherwood is keen to rekindle their working relationship at Villa Park.

Ramsey took over as QPR manager until the end of the season following the departure of Harry Redknapp in February.

But his position is far from certain, losing six out of his seven games in charge.

However, he will be handed an instant route back into football should he lose his job at Loftus Road. Sherwood rates Ramsey as one of this country’s best coaches and will find a senior role for the 52-year-old should he depart QPR.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3023732/Tim-Sherwood-wants-Chris-Ramsey-Aston-Villa-bemoans-absence-striker-Darren-Bent.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

What about KMac then?

With there always being a strong possibility of Ramsey becoming available in the summer, I believe MacDonald was brought in to galvinise the fans and add an authoritative voice into the coaching set-up given the esteem in which he is held in by many at this club, especially the players he has previously worked with.

Whenever I see shots of the bench whilst watching our games, the impression I get is that MacDonald isn't really the assistant. Sherwood never consults with him - Robson and Parks seem more like his right hand men. That's not to say that K-Mac was hired purely on a short-term premise, I think he'll likely be reassigned to a different role for next season. Hopefully replacing Cowans as U21 manager.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

What about KMac then?

With there always being a strong possibility of Ramsey becoming available in the summer, I believe MacDonald was brought in to galvinise the fans and add an authoritative voice into the coaching set-up given the esteem in which he is held in by many at this club, especially the players he has previously worked with.

Whenever I see shots of the bench whilst watching our games, the impression I get is that MacDonald isn't really the assistant. Sherwood never consults with him - Robson and Parks seem more like his right hand men. That's not to say that K-Mac was hired purely on a short-term premise, I think he'll likely be reassigned to a different role for next season. Hopefully replacing Cowans as U21 manager.

I think ideally he should be back coaching our kids; I get the impression that our youth sides have not done as well since he left.

We all love Cowans, but a great player does not necessarily become a good coach.

Â