Media Glee at Villa Low Gate ?

smetrov

true but was a cold monday night and game shown on Sky....

Aye, but then again it's been cold before, and monday before, and Sky before. I take your point, but a gate of 25K declared was more like 22k or 23k actual. That's a long, long way down on the attendances in other times. I dunno if the board give a damn, or not, to be honest.

The gate is a measurable fact which also includes all STHs even if they don't turn up. Its also a fact that average gates are declining season by season. In the 11 years I have had a season ticket that is the smallest crowd at any PL game I have attended regardless of weather, date or time. If I was Tom Fox I would be worried....very worried as the fans are voting with their feet. Another scary fact is we do not sell out for the big games on Saturday at 3.00pm. We used to.

true but was a cold monday night and game shown on Sky....

Aye, but then again it's been cold before, and monday before, and Sky before. I take your point, but a gate of 25K declared was more like 22k or 23k actual. That's a long, long way down on the attendances in other times. I dunno if the board give a damn, or not, to be honest.

The gate is a measurable fact which also includes all STHs even if they don't turn up. Its also a fact that average gates are declining season by season. In the 11 years I have had a season ticket that is the smallest crowd at any PL game I have attended regardless of weather, date or time. If I was Tom Fox I would be worried....very worried as the fans are voting with their feet. Another scary fact is we do not sell out for the big games on Saturday at 3.00pm. We used to.

Agree with this in the main, although can't really remember the last big game we had at 3.00pm pm on a Saturday (with the exception of Arsenal, that almost sold out), will be interesting to see the United attendance in a few weeks time though...cos sure we could hazard a guess at the Leicester one!

I don't think we would have sold many more tickets if it was half price. People are just fed up of watching absolute dogshit football served up down Villa Park week after week.

I wouldn't have gone on Monday night if I had a free ticket and a chauffeur there and back. 

• Like 1

Bayern are in a fortunate position where they make so much money from sponsorship and other commercial deals that the gate isn't a primary source of income for them.  That situation is not true for most clubs in the world, ourselves included. 

Tickets across the board are far cheaper in Germany though.

That article by the MC Fan is brilliant.       Although I was one of the diehards on Monday, I feel just like most on here - fed up with it all.  I used to go to every away game but last season and this have been selective.   I am going to Burnley on Sat but that will only be my second away all season (Stoke being the other).    You know what though, when we lose, I really don't miss the long trawl home.   I am learning to do something else with my weekends.   Unsure yet whether to renew next season either.

• Like 2

Bayern are in a fortunate position where they make so much money from sponsorship and other commercial deals that the gate isn't a primary source of income for them.  That situation is not true for most clubs in the world, ourselves included. 

The money we make on a 50% gate compared to a 100% gate would be negligible enough for a club of our size over the course of a season, though

And it's not just Bayern - they're actually quite expensive compared to some German clubs, but you'll still pay only around 150-200 euros for a season ticket

Edited by P3te

In 2011 (before the massive new TV deal) it was 54 mill from media and 21 mill from matchday revenue from a 92 mill turnover . It's definitely now the case that TV makes up an even bigger chunk - it's probably 4 or 5 times the gate reciept money, if not more.

That's why Sky and the others call the tune so completely.

thing with villa as well is that we are one of the cheapest teams to follow and we do really great ticket offers on matchday. god forbid if we had ticket prices like half the teams in the league because we would be having even lower gates. 

I'm sure people smell blood, and we are a big prize. They all want to see us struggle and get relegated.

for the amount of times we have been flirting with it and the woeful stuff we display.....is it any wonder, like coventry and wigan folks say 'bout time they went down.

• Like 1

Alright lads and lasses, I am the city fan who asked that article to be posted. (i didn't write it so can't take the credit for that unfortunately).

The thing which annoys me is the fact that fans up and down the country, agree with the shite portrayed in the media and slate other fans for their attendances. Fans will take joy in slating oppositions fans for having empty seats while ignoring the fact the same issues that are causing them are affecting their club too. The cost of match tickets are scandalous, £50 away at hull for city for example, and moving kick off times so there is no way to get back shows a complete lack of respect for fans who made the english game what it is today. Unless fans of all clubs do something about it, nothing will change, and we will be replaced by day trippers and upper class fans.

Sorry for the rant, just riles me because i could soon be priced out of following my club, while the media and sky are laughing their bollocks off.

Anyway you should have more than enough to stay up this year, hope so as Villa is one of my favorite away days!

Nice one, mate. Always good to see decent opposition fans coming on here, and making an excellent point.

I think we're so desperate to prove we're different or better than any other set of fans, that we forget how alike we all are when it comes down to it. Go back to the roots of the game, and the majority of football fans come from very similar back grounds, and enjoy much of the same things. For the good of OUR game, it would help if we could put petty squabbles aside and see the bigger picture.

• Like 2

Alright lads and lasses, I am the city fan who asked that article to be posted. (i didn't write it so can't take the credit for that unfortunately).

The thing which annoys me is the fact that fans up and down the country, agree with the shite portrayed in the media and slate other fans for their attendances. Fans will take joy in slating oppositions fans for having empty seats while ignoring the fact the same issues that are causing them are affecting their club too. The cost of match tickets are scandalous, £50 away at hull for city for example, and moving kick off times so there is no way to get back shows a complete lack of respect for fans who made the english game what it is today. Unless fans of all clubs do something about it, nothing will change, and we will be replaced by day trippers and upper class fans.

Sorry for the rant, just riles me because i could soon be priced out of following my club, while the media and sky are laughing their bollocks off.

Anyway you should have more than enough to stay up this year, hope so as Villa is one of my favorite away days!

Nice one, mate. Always good to see decent opposition fans coming on here, and making an excellent point.

I think we're so desperate to prove we're different or better than any other set of fans, that we forget how alike we all are when it comes down to it. Go back to the roots of the game, and the majority of football fans come from very similar back grounds, and enjoy much of the same things. For the good of OUR game, it would help if we could put petty squabbles aside and see the bigger picture.

Cheers, exactly what i was trying to say - the only thing that different is the team we support.

I'm not that old but even i have seen the demographic of match going football fan change. There is nothing worse than going to Arsenal and seeing half the ground full of corporates when north London parents can't afford to take the next generation of fans along.

I don't know what your ticket price was on Monday? But id guess 30 for adults 15 for kids and for a family of four that is £80 on a winter monday, when its on TV in the run up to Christmas. People have to make a choice and voted with their feet which is fair enough. 

Kids for a quid and adults around £20 the place would of been full, and as someone mentioned above the effect on your bottom line profits would be negligible as Ticket sales are only a small % of clubs revenue these days.

Â