Media Glee at Villa Low Gate ?

smetrov

The media have a number of pre-packaged narratives, one of which is 'crisis'. There are obviously others. Comparing our size and our ever-present status to our abysmal league positions over the last 5 years would seem to suggest that we fit into the 'crisis' narrative, but we haven't even been interesting enough to actually get relegated, so generally the media avoid reporting on us as we're a boring news product. We haven't even sacked the manager for a while now. There's a stirring of interest in us, caused by our terrible run, which has been provoked further by that poor turnout. We might find some more attention paid our way over the next few weeks. 

This is the issue with football fans, and the reason why the people with the money will always get their way, and why the game will be taken further away from the traditional supporters. We revel in the fact that gates are down at other clubs, and take the piss, rather than wondering why? If we had more unity, we'd see that staying away is the number one way to force change. Imagine if a full Premier League weekend was played in front of empty stadiums. The message it would send to the men at the top, who continue to change our game, and make it more about money, season after season. I think we should be be getting applauded for the stance our fans are taking. I think we should do the same, if other clubs follow suit, rather than taking the piss, like we do now. What else have can we do as fans to force change?   

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 4

it's relevant that the gate was the lowest for yonks. it reflects the current mess the club is in, and shows that supporters are voting with their feet.

true but was a cold monday night and game shown on Sky. Think if the next Saturday home game is as low as that then it will be a cause to worry in the boardroom

Aye, but people were turning up in droves under MON, because it was exciting and there was hope.

People including myself would drop everything to go down because it was FUN.

Once the fun and belief comes back, so will the fans, but it will take a long time.

Does anyone actually know if the 25k is accurate. My mate whos an arsenal fan said season tickets are automatically tallied on attendances he confirmed this when it appeared arsenal had a game where lots of seats were empty.

What were the season ticket numbers before season?

Does anyone actually know if the 25k is accurate. My mate whos an arsenal fan said season tickets are automatically tallied on attendances he confirmed this when it appeared arsenal had a game where lots of seats were empty.

Yes, they do count the season tickets.

Sales before the season were approximately 17000.

Soz george but does that mean that

If only 12k of the 17k actually turn up the attendance automatically is 17k plus sales via turnstyles.

Is it possible mondays fixture was less than 20k

i did not think it would hit 30k but was surprised when it was only 25k. going to be a few more low gates this season, then you look at sunderland who pull in 40k plus when they are shit year after year.

Which according to their fans makes them the biggest club in the country...

Seen little on man city not selling out vs bayern, or not selling out when it was buy one get one free vs Moscow

I also doubt anything has been said about the 4k going to burnley on Saturday or us selling out baggies away this week

And I really doubt anything was said as a sweeping generalisation that it's not just lambert and Lerner villa fans are unhappy with it's the whole package, the Monday night games, the 2 home games in I think 7 weeks, sky, the money, the greedy players, the elitism and the financial rules, etc etc it's hard work being a football fan at the moment let alone a villa fan

• Like 2

Soz george but does that mean that

If only 12k of the 17k actually turn up the attendance automatically is 17k plus sales via turnstyles.

Is it possible mondays fixture was less than 20k

I don't think it was, you can kind of gauge it by the cup attendances which should be pretty accurate and we seem to be somewhere between 18k - 22k in the lower rounds, there was more than that there Monday

I'm sure people smell blood, and we are a big prize. They all want to see us struggle and get relegated.

Can't blame anyone who does sadly. We contribute absolutely nothing to this league and haven't done for the last few years.

Exactly. It's no surprise that neutrals hate watching us. We dont score, we dont play good football and we dont have any real stars outside Benteke (who needs to hit form when he returns).

We're the Stoke of a couple of years ago without the results.

I think its a kind of flattery in that Villa are still seen as a largish club so when we get sub 30,000 crowds it makes a bit of news. Leeds and Shef Wednesday do this every week for 10 years and no mentions it. This could be the case if we continue to go down the path we seen to be at present.

"We're the Stoke of a couple of years ago without the results".

And without their then manager R.Bear.  ;) 

I think the attendance figure says it all and it should be reported. Clubs charge way too much for games. A 25% reduction on season and match tickets would not hurt them given what they get from other sources and given what we have spent on the team and had to watch in recent seasons we should be the first club to think about doing that to get fans back into the ground. But it is never going to happen is it?   

So "we go again" although less of us do each match......  

I read something from one of the higher ups at Bayern recently who basically said they could charge triple what they did in season tickets, but it would only be worth an extra 5-6m to them, and he said that that's the kind of figure that clubs argue about for 10 minutes when it comes to a transfer before coming to an agreement. Basically saying that it's of more value to them to have the  place packed out every week than  it would be to have higher prices. That's the kind of thinking that's desperately missing from English football. The fans don't matter in the slightest any more, even in terms of matchday income

Bayern are in a fortunate position where they make so much money from sponsorship and other commercial deals that the gate isn't a primary source of income for them.  That situation is not true for most clubs in the world, ourselves included. 

Â