• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

The only reason they are second in the league is because they have the complete opposite run as us.

We had a run of very hard games - Saints on the other hand have been playing Leicester and other "whatever" clubs.

"Glad we got a point" results in the following: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html

Yes that's right... we're STILL at the bottom.

I'm placing my bet on relegation now.

To be fair, the form guide doesn't look like that because we got draws, the form guide looks like that because of all the matches we lost. Which is, of course, much worse. Ahem.

I'm pretty sure that nobody here "accepts" relegation. We're all in the same boat, we all want Villa to do well. All I'm saying is that with the players we've got, the manager we've got and the owner we've got, picking up a point against a team that is, at the moment, clearly better than us is okay. But yeah, I think we'll get relegated this season too. I hope to God I'm wrong.

* Edited for brevity.

Edited by Villanun

36% Possession & 1 Shot on target says it all again.

I though it was bad, but that does not say it all in the least. 

Really? I think you will find we won't win many games if we keep turning out those kind of stats every week pal

I did not say we would, buddy, but two stats do not tell the whole story. Ever. People's reliance on those two stats in particular to "prove" a point is ridiculous. 

Possession dont score goals i agree, However shots on target "Ridiculous" Its Not!

Positives: Okore and Clark were good , as were the rest of the back four.<br />

<br />

Midfield were passengers again. Southampton were absolutely there for the taking 2nd in the league or not.<br />

<br />

Bent sub was bewildering. Weimann was doing ok tracking Clyne but that sub put Gabby there who switched off completely. Bent up front with football like that is just ineffective. <br />

<br />

Point isn't good enough in games like this on the back of 1 point in 21.<br />

<br />

Pretty sure this "glad we got a point" phrase is becoming dangerous. It's tantamount to accepting relegation.

Bollocks

How is it bollocks?

We haven't won a match since the 13th September.

We're a massive club floating near relegation - THAT is bollocks.

How does that have any relevance to your original post?

Your saying if I am happy with a point its the same as me accepting relegation.

That, my friend, is bollocks.

Of course being happy with a point is accepting relegation. You do realise we need to win SOME games to stay up, right?

I'm 100% behind Roy Keane philosophy - doesn't matter who you face, 3 points or f*** off.

disappointing that we couldn't hold on at the end, but decent result all things considered. Clark & Okore did very well considering they probably haven't played together before & neither has played much this year - kept Pelle and Long quiet all match & we defended setpieces well for once. Gabby was v.good first half but tired as game went on.

Bringing on Bent for Sanchez confused me: surely Bacuna would be the kind of player to bring on at that point. or put Grealish on, as he's shown in previous games he can be useful outlet to win fouls and ease pressure. Bent offers nothing these days.

Okore looks like the player we thought we were going to have last season. I counted at lest two worldy passes. It's just taking the piss the way he got injured after three games last season.

Hard to understand why Okore hasn't had a chance earlier. I assumed he'd become sheit, but he showed me today he hasn't.

Edited by AVTuco

Our problem is in attack. We have no edge and can't hold the ball up. That makes the midfield look weak. That and Shancez wrong passes. If we had Bemteke or Kozak on the field we would look much stronger. And our confidence is at a all time low after the run we had. I am still in the optimistic camp. And happy enough with a point tonight, I actually blame Bentekes red card of our lack of points against Spurs, WH and Southampton.

Having a bigger forward to hold up play is just papering over the cracks. Lumping it to a big man to hold off their defense for as long as possible while the other 9 players escape from their own area is the worst football that can be played.

Did you watch Saints today? Almost every time the ball was hoofed forward by us it was intelligently recycled by them. Long balls when there was an opportunity or a mismatch (Pelle vs Westwood in the air, whos gonna win?) and short, smart passes to probe and pull us about the rest of the time.

If we had an amazing defense, rapid attackers and absolute workhorses for a midfield it would be a smart way to play (the MoN years). But we don't, so it's not. We're just fighting a losing battle every game.

There needs to be a complete overhaul to the football philosophy at this club.

• Like 1

36% Possession & 1 Shot on target says it all again.

I though it was bad, but that does not say it all in the least. 

Really? I think you will find we won't win many games if we keep turning out those kind of stats every week pal

I did not say we would, buddy, but two stats do not tell the whole story. Ever. People's reliance on those two stats in particular to "prove" a point is ridiculous. 

Possession dont score goals i agree, However shots on target "Ridiculous" Its Not!

LVG said the weekend " we kept the ball more than usual that was good" " possession gives you chances"

you can't do much in this game without the ball.

I would have taken a point before the game so I'm not gonna complain about ending up with one.

However, having been gifted the lead by a Goalie howler, we should be able to build on it.

Guzan - Premier league Top Goalie

Hutton - The only outfield player who seems to be playing consistantly effectively in his suited position.

Okore - MotM. To come in and perform like that wow, RESPECT

Clark - Didnt get my MotM simply because of Okore

Cissokho - Does his job but nothing to really shout about

Sanchez - Slowly learning what to do, but Still doesn't know what not to do in the PL. Shows signs of getting better

Westwood - Good player but needs a better Sanchez to really shine. Asked to do too much so neglecting his strengths

Cleverly - Still don't understand this signing, what is he? what are his strengths? If he can be creative then he should be given a role to show it

Weiman - Played out of position yet again, asked to run, run and run some more. No wonder that by the time he got into a position to score he'd run himself in to the ground by then

Expected to cover 70% of the pitch length and 50% of the width - wasted

Was too spent when Betrand woke up for his run resulting in a free cross.

N'Zog - Talented player played out of position then has to take stick for being asked to do what doesn't come naturally

Gabby - Snapped up a gift. Since bulking up, gained power lost pace over distance and tires.

Years of bad management have cost him. Either let him loose up front or teach him a wingers role.

Not intelligent enough of a footballer to be multi-dimensional effective player

Especially not as helping out a fullback as evident with the goal

Shame - talent wasted

Ref - nothing major wrong

Soton - were not good tonight and still dominated us. Say no more

Did I forget something?

oh yeah

Subs - Understandable and OK if you want to hold on

Should have been to seal the game though

Manager - Where do I start?

1) Basically sets up to not lose - In basic English = Toggles between Holding out and damage limitation - Mean difference between 1 pt & 0 pts ( 1/2 pt per game ????? ) HOME & AWAY!!!!

2) Doesn't play players to their strengths/out of position - Westwood, Cleverly (does he have a position?), Weiman, N'Zog & Gabby- thats HALF the outfield players

3) Tactics during the development of a game (or is that not allowed?) - Rule nr 1 in sports regarding opposition -NEVER give the opposition an inch to let their stature grow during the course

of a game. Try to change the course of the game before it gets out of your control. Sub to gain an advantage and/or nullify opponents advantage. - no sign of that here

4) Motivation/Belief - the players will be running/not running on empty soon (some already are)

5) Style of play - Simply disgracefull for Aston Villa FC

6) Villa Goal - a gift thanx - take it

7) Soton goal - well it was coming wasn't it - Can only point the finger at the fact that the 2 defining components of the goal were tiredness from Weiman & Gaby not being good defensive cover - Tactics - Lambert

8)9)....etc Can't be bothered

10) Paul, please be even more of a man and walk. You'd earn many a respect by doing so.

Edited by Grasshopper

25k at home gives a big indication of what we think. Yes Christmas is coming and yes it was on TV but it's a poor turnout.

This is what you get though when you create hardly any chances, which means you a score few goals and win few games. Why would you pay £30+ to watch us at the moment?

Our last 5 goals conceded at home have been in the last 10 minutes, thats an issue

It's because our back four is knackered after defending flat out for 80.

We are a comically lacking in any attacking intent and the 100th game under Lambert is as nearly as bad as the first one versus Everton. It's just the defence is looking a bit better.

This club is suffocating by inertia.

That is all.

Edited by The Fun Factory

That game was a real tricky one..... we seem obliged to be happy with that all considered, however one point at home since August is a tell tale sign of a trap door.

we needed 3 points tonight despite the challenge on offer.... as the game panned out we should/could have got it.....They did not resemble a team in second place and further more they will not finish anywhere near there on that showing.... we really are in trouble.

When folk say they are happy with that its a desperate attempt to be positive, because despite all our players out that was a poor Southampton offering and we are still at Home.

wish I could share the glee.

Ps yes I would have taken a point before a ball was kicked, but there again i never expected to go one up and i never expected to play a Southampton side showing such poor form so all considered we could/should have won

Edited by TRO

A truly disgusting excuse for a football team. Okore, Clark good. The rest atrocious although Hutton did ok at times.

A point paints over the cracks as would a win but it's there for all to see.

It's past embarrassing. I watched on sky and by the time the replays (that were always showing Southampton) had finished, we had given the ball away.

Okore looks like the player we thought we were going to have last season. I counted at lest two worldy passes. It's just taking the piss the way he got injured after three games last season.

Hard to understand why Okore hasn't had a chance earlier. I assumed he'd become sheit, but he showed me today he hasn't.

There is a lot of competition in the position - would be a big call to select the unproven kid just back from longterm injury when you have Vlaar & Senderos, plus Baker has been pretty dependable this season. I do wonder if we'll look at 352/532 again at some point when we have all our CBs fit. 

A truly disgusting excuse for a football team. 

Do you not feel a bit embarrassed to have such a loose grasp on the English language?

Or do you actually feel disgust at the Aston Villa team? (in which case, I'd suggest help, quick.)

A truly disgusting excuse for a football team.

Do you not feel a bit embarrassed to have such a loose grasp on the English language?

Or do you actually feel disgust at the Aston Villa team? (in which case, I'd suggest help, quick.)

I actually have a fine grasp on the English language. Whether, I portray that when posting on a forum via the use of a phone, is another matter, of which I really couldn't give a shit. If you care so much to highlight it, then I suggest you seek help and quick.

Back to the point, that aston villa are dogshit!

Â