January Transfer Speculation 2015

Supervillan78

Could this be the window we finally land Defoe ?

Really hope we sign a striker - for all the talk of lack of creativity, we are woeful in front of goal.

Being reported in the north east that he has / is signing for Sunderland in a £14m deal that includes Altidore going the otherway and that he will be on £80k a week.

Good Striker but if that deal is true then Sunderland have been had.

• Like 1

Really hope we sign a striker - for all the talk of lack of creativity, we are woeful in front of goal.

Being reported in the north east that he has / is signing for Sunderland in a £14m deal that includes Altidore going the otherway and that he will be on £80k a week.

Yep absolutely mugged if its true.

On a side note altidore has 2 goals in 68PL games according to SSN. I am really struggling to get my head round that

On a side note altidore has 2 goals in 68PL games according to SSN. I am really struggling to get my head round that

That can't be true?.. Can it?!

Wiki says 2 in 70 in PL, transfermarkt says 5goals in 82 games in all comps. Seems legit.
  • Like 1

£14m deal including those extortionate wages, fee is £3m plus Altidore. If it's true. 

E had a season at hull when they were in the prem where he only scored 1 goal, I think he got 2 in the league for Sunderland last year.

perfect striker for us

I'd like to see another winger and a striker on loan.  If Delph goes then he will need replacing also. 

This might be controversial, but I don't think replacing Delph would be a priority at this stage.

but that's relying on Gil being a good signing.

I'd like to see another winger and a striker on loan.  If Delph goes then he will need replacing also. 

This might be controversial, but I don't think replacing Delph would be a priority at this stage.

I agree with that. I think we really need to step away from this narrow 4-3-3 and move towards a 4-2-3-1 with width. In that formation we already have players perfectly suited for the holding positions in Sanchez and Westwood.

• Like 1

I agree with that. I think we really need to step away from this narrow 4-3-3 and move towards a 4-2-3-1 with width. In that formation we already have players perfectly suited for the holding positions in Sanchez and Westwood.

Exactly.

We have Westwood, Delph and Cleverley all suited to playing the same position, imo.

Whilst I think Delph is the best option out of those three, him leaving means we have 2 players left to cover that position.

But again, this assumes Gil works out, and we're playing a midfield 3 of him, Sanchez and one other.

Which is quite a big assumption

Exactly.

We have Westwood, Delph and Cleverley all suited to playing the same position, imo.

Whilst I think Delph is the best option out of those three, him leaving means we have 2 players left to cover that position.

But again, this assumes Gil works out, and we're playing a midfield 3 of him, Sanchez and one other.

Which is quite a big assumption

I honestly think that Lambert needs to have faith in him and just play him in his most natural position and play him consistently. I would be playing, at present, either a 4-3-3 with a midfield of Delph, Sanchez and Westwood and a Front 3 of Beteke, Gil and preferably a new wide man. That is what I would play away from home.

At home I would sacrifice one of Westwood or Delph and move Gil behind Benteke so it becomes a more attacking 4-2-3-1. If the wide play wasn't working then we could always bring on Cole and have 2 players behind Benteke and go more narrow.

What i'm finding is Gabby and Andi just don't fit into the starting line up anywhere for me.

• Like 1

Lambert has been quoted as saying that Defoe was never an option. I suppose we could have guessed that anyway.

wages

transfer fee

and as many are saying he'd be useless at a team that struggles to create chances anyway (and personally i think he's only ok, a lot of his goals are close your eyes and the ball as hard as you can type goals, his overall game isnt anything special, goal scoring record is about 1 in 2.5 isnt it? overrated by the spurs loving rags)

im not going to suggest we've dodged a bullet here but im not exactly disappointed we arent trying to sign him