Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

Sunderland got some great results at the end of last season to stay up so they will be able to draw on those experiences this season and might do it again.   We just have to play the way we have been with a few changes at the back,  my worry with Sherwood is he doesn't seem too good at grinding out results. 

I don't think that's fair.  He's got us playing some very good football, but unfortunately he inherited a team full of players who are prone to mistakes, and that's what's costing us.  It's not Sherwood who isn't good at grinding out results, it's the players.  That said, we had a very comfortable 1-0 win at Spurs, kept Liverpool at bay at Wembley, and came back twice at Man City.  We might not be able to grind out a nil-nil but we're playing goot football and never know when we're beaten, and that's what will keep us up.  If Lambert was still in charge I think we'd be down already.

I just hope we can score more than the opposition because if we have Sanchez, Richardson, Okore and Bacuna in defensive roles then we are gonna give up easy chances.  I'd like to see him tighten it up at the back a bit more or even substitute an attacker for a defender late in games if it's tight because we have let in some really soft late goals which have cost us some valuable points. 

We're obviously in a battle but just look at Sunderland's fixtures:

Southampton (H), Everton (A), Leicester (H), Arsenal (A), Chelsea (A)

That's horrible.

It rankles me that people believe such crap and it's proven by Leicester winning 4 or 5 straight, Hull beating Liverpool, Burnley beating Man City.

For anyone so cocksure Sunderland are now the "doomed club":

Southampton (H) > Just because it's Southampton means Sunderland have no chance? > SUNDERLAND WIN

Everton (A) > Just because it's Everton means Sunderland have no chance? > SUNDERLAND WIN

Leicester (H) > SUNDERLAND WIN to obviously aid their fight

Arsenal (A) > Title already lost by then. Why do Arse have to bother? > SUNDERLAND WIN

Chelsea (A) > Final game of the season. Title could be dusted. Why can't Chelshit throw the game? > SUNDERLAND WIN

So why isn't such a scenario possible instead?

Sunderland are playing Southampton who WANT Europe.

They then go to Everton who have lost three times at home all season. They haven't lost at home in 2015.

They then play Arsenal who, I agree, won't have to worry about the title because it'll be long gone, but they have the CL places to fight for - I'm sure they'd much prefer not to finish in fourth (and face a CL qualifier). They'll be aiming for 2nd/3rd.

That leaves them with Chelsea away. How many times has Mourinho lost at Stamford Bridge!? Are you sure they'll throw the last game of the seasons in front of the home fans!? I doubt they will.

I think both Sunderland and Leicester will be above us after Saturdays games

You may be right on Leicester but Sunderland not so sure.

It's that time of year when random results start coming in, got a feeling they may just knick it against Southampton

So what's to say we won't?

We could, but we play Southampton away (they are unbeaten in last 4 at home), Sunderland home (Saints haven't won away since 7 Feb at QPR)

We play West Ham and Burnley while Sunderland play Arsenal and Chelsea, I know which fixtures I'd rather have.

I think both Sunderland and Leicester will be above us after Saturdays games

You may be right on Leicester but Sunderland not so sure.
It's that time of year when random results start coming in, got a feeling they may just knick it against Southampton
So what's to say we won't?
We could, but we play Southampton away (they are unbeaten in last 4 at home), Sunderland home (Saints haven't won away since 7 Feb at QPR)

We play West Ham and Burnley while Sunderland play Arsenal and Chelsea, I know which fixtures I'd rather have.

Yeah absolutely our schedule looks better but Sunderland could still get 6 pts which could mean 4 isn't enough for us. We should get more than 4 anyway, just saying it's not out of question that Sunderland pick up some more points.

We're obviously in a battle but just look at Sunderland's fixtures:

That's horrible.

It rankles me that people believe such crap and it's proven by Leicester winning 4 or 5 straight, Hull beating Liverpool, Burnley beating Man City.

For anyone so cocksure Sunderland are now the "doomed club":

Southampton (H) > Just because it's Southampton means Sunderland have no chance? > SUNDERLAND WIN

Everton (A) > Just because it's Everton means Sunderland have no chance? > SUNDERLAND WIN

Leicester (H) > SUNDERLAND WIN to obviously aid their fight

Arsenal (A) > Title already lost by then. Why do Arse have to bother? > SUNDERLAND WIN

Chelsea (A) > Final game of the season. Title could be dusted. Why can't Chelshit throw the game? > SUNDERLAND WIN

So why isn't such a scenario possible instead?

Nothing cocksure about it at all.  Those fixtures are horrible, though.  Put it this way, would you rather have a run in of:

or be 2 points ahead of the team with those fixtures with the following to go:

Everton (H), West Ham (H), Southampton (A), Burnley (H)

I know which one I'd go for.  It's plausible that Sunderland win 3 games and we fail to pick up another point this season... it's unlikely though.  I'd be more worried as a Sunderland fan than I currently am as a Villa fan - and we're by no means safe.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

We've got theee home games out of four, points on the board and the best striker in the country at the moment.

We're 6/1 with most of the bookies, so anybody concerned should stick their savings on us going down, and make themselves a few quid.

A good way of looking at this is to ask yourself would you swap places with any of Burnley, QPR, Sunderland, Leicester or Hull? Personally given the way we are playing, who we have yet to play and the fact that we currently have a points advantage over all but one of them teams, then I wouldn't swap places with any of them.

I can understand that some are worried and I’d be a liar if I said that I wasn't slightly concerned. For me though some are going way over the top with the doom and gloom predictions of every other side around us picking up results bar us. It could happen but it is highly unlikely that it will.

There is no way anyone can be expected to enjoy the ride over the next few weeks but I don’t think we should be facing it with trepidation. Now is the time the club and the fans need to join together in the fight to stay up. As I said in a previous post it is not the time for throwing in the towel or cowering in a corner it is time for rolling up our sleeves and getting behind the club with a passion and doing as much as we can as fans, be it in person or in spirit, to see this club safe. I am convinced we will be fine and look forward to breathing out that sigh of relieve, amongst thousands of other fans, when our Premier League status for next season is confirmed.

Edited by markavfc40

Chelsea winning tonight would make me feel a lot better , the wheels have to come off the Leicester revival sooner or later 

Champs league places will be very important as I its very tight for that 4th place and no one wants to have to qualify.I think we should be ok but of course the last week or so some results have been not gone our way 

but thats this time of the season for you.You get some crazy results , like us beating Spurs for instance.

Where we have failed under TS so far is not grinding out a few draws  2 extra points from Stoke and Swansea would be really handy now.I think beat West Ham and Burnley and a draw from one of the other 2 games will be enough.

Also I think Newcastle are right in it , they are the team that is coming late to the relegation party and in frankly awful form.I don't think they have the players to get them out of it should they get caught by us and the rest.

Chelsea haven't looked great with their recent performances, and while I hope they'll sneak another 0-1 win, I can easily see Leicester getting a point.

Sunderland are worse than us and have a more difficult run-in, but on paper at least have a game and potential 3pts in hand.  Having only them as a buffer between us and the drop is going to be really uncomfortable.  Having to get something out of the Burnley game will be a nightmare.  We need another positive weekend, with results falling in our favour, though I don't see it this weekend.

We're playing well and scoring goals but every game i fear the bubble bursting / more injuries  / another red card - every time it looks as though we might get clear this season, we have been pulled back into it.  I am still flipping between confident and nervous every day.

• Like 1

Yes Sunderland are the ones that could keep the pts tally down and on paper their fixtures look tough but at this time of year unlikely results happen more often. Take their final two games Arsenal and Chelsea away. You would expect them to get zero points from them but Arsenal maybe secure with a top 3 place. Maybe a top 2 place will still be an incentive but Chelsea would have already won the league so zero incentive to win.

We do need to beat Everton to settle our nerves.

Edited by PaulC

Chelsea will win want to win the league as soon as possible. It's the one fixture I'm not concerned about.

Hull, Leicester and ourselves have shown things. Hull almost shocked Chelsea a while back too. Sunderland have shown absolutely nothing.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Chelsea will win want to win the league as soon as possible. It's the one fixture I'm not concerned about.

Hull, Leicester and ourselves have shown things. Hull almost shocked Chelsea a while back too. Sunderland have shown absolutely nothing.

Agreed, they were celebrating a draw against Stoke like they'd won the lottery.  I think they'll get smashed in their remaining games.