Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

Just don't get the pessimism

Beat Spurs away look the most comfortable I've seen us all season

Make Liverpool look like a pub side in the FA Cup

Yes we lost to Manure (Who we never beat anyway) and Man City away (Last seasons champions) after gifting them goals yet should have won after controlling the game with them needing help from the fourth official to get all 3 points

Sure..... were not going to win any more games between now and the end of the season

I don't know about others but how I feel is that the likelihood of it happening is increasing to a level that worries me a lot. No, we're not favourites to be the third team to go down, and we're probably gonna get 6-7 more points and that's enough, but at this point all we need is one howler on Saturday and Sunderland winning, and then we're in real pressure while Sunderland get their miracle confidence boost (like Leicester and Hull).

In this situation one bad game, one mistake, one unlucky bounce is staring to become too important for my liking. I think we'll stay up, but it's not really that unlikely that it'll happen either. Someone said odds are now 9/1. I guess that's accurate representation of the likelihood it happening and to be that's likely enough to be very worried.

Wasn't that always going to be the case though. You do remember when we lost at Hull, we had a terrible manager, couldn't score, couldn't win and were 2nd bottom.

Most people didn't want Sherwood and didn't think he'd be any good so I'm a bit bemused why people are now demanding we should be 10 points clear of the bottom 3 and already finished the job, we're not that good yet.

Me personally I'm just happy that after playing Spurs and the two Manchesters away in April we're out of the bottom 3 and still have a 2 point buffer over the zone. That's what I wanted and to spin it the Spurs win was massive given how the results have since panned out.

I would be a lot more negative if we'd lost that as yes then things would be looking very dodgy indeed and we would be relying on favours and teams not winning.

To me the only way we don't stay up now is something like Benteke gets sent off for violent conduct on Saturday so would be out for the last 3 games or he gets injured. Then I'd be seriously worried. 

In the form he's in he'll be scoring goals in the last 4 games, match winning goals.

• Like 1

If tonight has taught us anything it's that every team down at the bottom is fighting now and it doesn't matter if "on paper" it looks like a hard game; the 3 points are there for the taking.

I think we've got to stay above Sunderland.

My predicted run-in for them (being as generous as possible seeing as they will surely be as fired up now as us):

- Southampton (H) - Win

- Everton (A) - Draw

- Leicester (H) - Win

- Arsenal (A) - Draw

- Chelsea (A) - Loss

Many will slate me for predicting they could pick up another 8 points but I honestly think it's possible. More than 8 points is extremely unlikely imo. That puts them on 38 points with a similar goal difference to ours.

Therefore, we need to win (minimum, I feel) 50% or two out of four of our remaining games. Another point elsewhere taking our total to 7 would make it certain.

For me the key ingredient now is our nerve/confidence. We're playing terrific football but I still believe we are pretty fragile confidence-wise, particularly in front of our home crowd. Will the results others are picking up translate on to the pitch? I dearly hope not but it's possible. The first 15 minutes against Man City we looked very nervous and it was only when the game looked lost at 2-0 that we really came into our own. We CAN'T afford that in these last 4 games. We need to cut out the mistakes and be clinical - play with freedom but be disciplined at the same time.

Everton will be extremely tough - if we win that I'll be very confident we can stay up. If we draw, it cranks up the pressure a notch but it's still very much within our grasp. If we lose, we'll all be looking for that Sunderland-Southampton score and (were they to win) it'll be squeaky bum time and we won't be able to make any further slip-ups; which will be made all the more difficult by the fact that everyone will probably panic and start getting on the players' backs.

Whatever happens; just remember this: if the unthinkable happens, it won't be Tim Sherwood's fault in the slightest. The fact there's been such a remarkable turnaround under him and we're still deep in trouble just paints a picture of how awful things were under a certain Mr Lambert...

Anyway, we need to stick together and roar the lads home! UTV. 

Sorry - but it will be TS fault. (or at least he is accountable)

We were in the relegation zone on goal difference when he took over - we had a run of easy looking games, Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea, QPR, WBA - we didn't get enough points from those games.

He took the job to keep us up - if he doesn't do that he has failed in his task of what he was brought in to do 

(and before anyone says it - it doesn't matter if he was better than Lambert or not)

Either way, everything isn't as rosy as people are making it out to be.

I haven't seen one supporter making out it is all rosy.

The table doesn't lie and we are in the shit. However we are playing some very good football,scoring goals,look like a real together group all putting a shift in for each other and overall have a manager and players that look supremely confident that they can get the positive results to get us out of this mess. Not even the most blinkered Sunderland fan could describe their team as currently having any of them attributes.

We have just played three teams in the top 6. We deservedly beat two of them and bar a couple of individual errors from our players and the officials we would have won all three.

We have three of our remaining games at home, in front of what are likely to be big and hopefully vociferous crowds all backing the lads to the hilt.

For me we have a lot going for us in the remaining games. A lot more going for us than most of the other sides down the bottom. For those reasons I can't be having these doom and gloom, throw the towel in merchants claiming we have f*ck all going for us whilst every other team will suddenly go on a little run. We are Aston Villa ffs we don't pander and cower in the corner in the face of adversity. Its time to take a deep breath, fill your lungs with air and let it all out by backing the manager and players. We will do this.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

It doesn't matter, who the others have got.....they have found a way to pick up points....that's the concern.

We won a league game two weeks ago. I must admit I find these sort of comments bizarre. If we had Newcastle form right now or what we were showing under Lambert, fair enough.

If tonight has taught us anything it's that every team down at the bottom is fighting now and it doesn't matter if "on paper" it looks like a hard game; the 3 points are there for the taking.

My predicted run-in for them (being as generous as possible seeing as they will surely be as fired up now as us):

- Southampton (H) - Win

- Everton (A) - Draw

- Leicester (H) - Win

- Arsenal (A) - Draw

- Chelsea (A) - Loss

Many will slate me for predicting they could pick up another 8 points but I honestly think it's possible. More than 8 points is extremely unlikely imo. That puts them on 38 points with a similar goal difference to ours.

Therefore, we need to win (minimum, I feel) 50% or two out of four of our remaining games. Another point elsewhere taking our total to 7 would make it certain.

For me the key ingredient now is our nerve/confidence. We're playing terrific football but I still believe we are pretty fragile confidence-wise, particularly in front of our home crowd. Will the results others are picking up translate on to the pitch? I dearly hope not but it's possible. The first 15 minutes against Man City we looked very nervous and it was only when the game looked lost at 2-0 that we really came into our own. We CAN'T afford that in these last 4 games. We need to cut out the mistakes and be clinical - play with freedom but be disciplined at the same time.

Everton will be extremely tough - if we win that I'll be very confident we can stay up. If we draw, it cranks up the pressure a notch but it's still very much within our grasp. If we lose, we'll all be looking for that Sunderland-Southampton score and (were they to win) it'll be squeaky bum time and we won't be able to make any further slip-ups; which will be made all the more difficult by the fact that everyone will probably panic and start getting on the players' backs.

Whatever happens; just remember this: if the unthinkable happens, it won't be Tim Sherwood's fault in the slightest. The fact there's been such a remarkable turnaround under him and we're still deep in trouble just paints a picture of how awful things were under a certain Mr Lambert...

We were in the relegation zone on goal difference when he took over - we had a run of easy looking games, Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea, QPR, WBA - we didn't get enough points from those games.

He took the job to keep us up - if he doesn't do that he has failed in his task of what he was brought in to do 

(and before anyone says it - it doesn't matter if he was better than Lambert or not)

If we go down on GD?

Yes we lost to Manure (Who we never beat anyway) and Man City away (Last seasons champions) after gifting them goals yet should have won after controlling the game with them needing help from the fourth official to get all 3 points

Sure..... were not going to win any more games between now and the end of the season

I don't know about others but how I feel is that the likelihood of it happening is increasing to a level that worries me a lot. No, we're not favourites to be the third team to go down, and we're probably gonna get 6-7 more points and that's enough, but at this point all we need is one howler on Saturday and Sunderland winning, and then we're in real pressure while Sunderland get their miracle confidence boost (like Leicester and Hull).

In this situation one bad game, one mistake, one unlucky bounce is staring to become too important for my liking. I think we'll stay up, but it's not really that unlikely that it'll happen either. Someone said odds are now 9/1. I guess that's accurate representation of the likelihood it happening and to be that's likely enough to be very worried.

Wasn't that always going to be the case though. You do remember when we lost at Hull, we had a terrible manager, couldn't score, couldn't win and were 2nd bottom.

Most people didn't want Sherwood and didn't think he'd be any good so I'm a bit bemused why people are now demanding we should be 10 points clear of the bottom 3 and already finished the job, we're not that good yet.

Me personally I'm just happy that after playing Spurs and the two Manchesters away in April we're out of the bottom 3 and still have a 2 point buffer over the zone. That's what I wanted and to spin it the Spurs win was massive given how the results have since panned out.

I would be a lot more negative if we'd lost that as yes then things would be looking very dodgy indeed and we would be relying on favours and teams not winning.

To me the only way we don't stay up now is something like Benteke gets sent off for violent conduct on Saturday so would be out for the last 3 games or he gets injured. Then I'd be seriously worried.

In the form he's in he'll be scoring goals in the last 4 games, match winning goals.

I don't think it looked like that was gonna be the case anymore before Leicester started (or continued) winning, palace lost to wba and hull and hull won today. I felt much more confident after the spurs win and thought we were safe. Now it feels like everything goes wrong and it won't stop.

Whack 20 quid on them then. 

I've said on the betting thread, if you put fivers on Sunderland to win their remaining games this season given some of the opposition they'll face you'll make a very tidy profit, probably three figures as I'd assume they'll be 10/1 shots to win at Arsenal and Chelsea.

I'd rather do that then bet on us to go down although again our odds are very tempting considering we'll probably be 4th bottom when we kick off on Saturday.

I remember when people on here were convinced we would go down with about 4 games to go in the Houllier season. We ended up finishing 10th.

Or after Bolton-gate under McLeish.

- Southampton (H) - Win

- Everton (A) - Draw

- Leicester (H) - Win

- Arsenal (A) - Draw

- Chelsea (A) - Loss

If we go down on GD?

I'm not sure what effect performing oral sex on Geena Davis would have right now?

• Like 1

I remember when people on here were convinced we would go down with about 4 games to go in the Houllier season. We ended up finishing 10th.

Good point - and it can happen of course. 

The difference in that season was we had a lot players returning from injury - and we had good players under performing, who for whatever reasons got there ass into gear.

Currently - we have 2 mid fielders playing as full backs, Vlaar our best CB has a poor injury record, and Okore seems plagued by errors. Hutton will be boost when he is back - Senderos for Okore could go either way. We pretty much have to go with what we have.

It doesn't matter, who the others have got.....they have found a way to pick up points....that's the concern.

We won a league game two weeks ago. I must admit I find these sort of comments bizarre. If we had Newcastle form right now or what we were showing under Lambert, fair enough.[/quote

I was merely expressing my concern on how some of these teams around us have found the resilience to muster points, which is a bit frustrating.....despite the attractive football we have offered, we too need to find a resilience in the next four games. It is no good looking back...but we have dropped some sloppy points at home.

• Like 1

I don't think it looked like that was gonna be the case anymore before Leicester started (or continued) winning, palace lost to wba and hull and hull won today. I felt much more confident after the spurs win and thought we were safe. Now it feels like everything goes wrong and it won't stop.

That's true. I always thought Leicester had a good run in but thought they'd be too far adrift for it to make a difference, it dosen't look so bright now all of us on here celebrating them beating WBA in the last minute. They have enough to stay up now.

Hull I must admit with their fixture list looked in real trouble but there you go that's the benefit of playing teams like Liverpool and Palace who are mentally on the beach. We need to do the same when we play West Ham and Burnley.

I just look at Sunderland and think they're a very poor team. I've thought that all season, more so when we demolished them in March and Advocaat has limited quality to work with. They struggle to score more than one goal a game and anyone with pace destroys O'Shea as Bolaise did last week.

I would be amazed if they got another 6-7 points in the run in which is what they'll need to finish above us as long as we win another game or claim 3 draws.

Or after Bolton-gate under McLeish.

I did that night. We got lucky that season as a) we didn't win another game and B) Bolton didn't win another game despite having a decent run in. It was a near miracle that one didn't go to the last day really.

This season just feels different, infact it's pretty much identical to Lambert's first season when we were dead and buried January/February and suddenly just in time sprang to life and started scoring goals and actually playing well.

Even then Wigan started to win near the end which kept pressure up but they eventually ran out of steam and lost to Swansea and Arsenal at the end of that season.

A big decision for Sherwood is whether or not to bring in Given for Guzan for the relegation battle. Personally I think he should be given a chance cos although Guzan has the odd world class save every now and again I don't think he is that reliable in goal. Seems to me like we often concede with our opponents first shot on goal with Guzan between the sticks.