Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

I think 5+ points from next 4 is going to be a near impossibility. However, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong...

If it's a near impossibility that we get 5+ from our remaining 4, then surely there's less than no chance anyone below us will get too many, using your own logic

Edited by P3te

I think 5+ points from next 4 is going to be a near impossibility. However, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong...

If it's a near impossibility that we get 5+ from our remaining 4, then surely there's less than no chance anyone below us will get too many, using your own logic

I'm only talking about Aston Villa, not any other teams. Leicester have won 4 in a row... I can't remember the last time we did that? 2009/10 maybe?

I'm only talking about Aston Villa, not any other teams.

Exactly, but you're applying a bizarre logic that means other teams will pick up lots of points and we won't. That's not how it works, but it's prevalent here. The "we'll get nothing, everyone else will get everything" mentality makes no sense. Look at the table, look at the fixtures, and use some cop on

I think it's almost impossible to predict these end of season relegation run-ins that we've become so used to. Reason being, a team with what looks like a hard run-in (Hull) on paper, could actually be playing these so-called top sides when there's nothing left to play for. Chelsea, for example, will probably wrap the title up with 2/3 games to spare. Quite a few of the top 7 have been dropping plenty of points of late.

So because it's so unpredictable (I mean, who thought we would win at Spurs) we really do just have to focus on our own games and get behind the lads 100%. I actually think our hardest game is this weekend against Everton, who love playing us and are one of the form sides in the league. A point there and a point at Southampton would mean a win in either the West Ham/Burnley game will see us safe. It's definitely doable - especially with how we've been playing - but I just pray we hold our nerve.

• Like 1

I'm just thankful that our players and manager don't have the same mentality as some of the doom & gloom merchants on here.

If you go into these games with a negative attitude, you've lost before you start.

The team are taking games to the opposition, no matter who it may be-Yesterday showed you that. We may well respect these sides but we certainly don't fear them.

I see the last 4 games as winnable. I'm not saying we will get 12 points but we will go for it in every game.

• Like 4

I just hope our players, as the cup final nears, don't start bottling challenges or playing at a lower level in order to save themselves for a cup final place.

Well if they do that they're not going to get in the team for the final. They should be proving to TS that they deserve to be in it.

Everton who don't have anything to play for looked pretty decent today.

Talking to my buddy who is an Everton fan said you must be delighted he said they were brutal just scored the few chances they had.

I went to qpr west ham on saturday and i think we can take west ham easily based on their abject performance. Zero creativity, hardly any players getting forward and negative tactics from big fat sam. At least a point from that game is guaranteed i think. Now theyre out of the europa league Everton look a lot better so i think it'll be another high scoring draw or defeat, same goes for southampton. Come the last day of the season and Burnleys visit i think they'll have had enough and we should win comfortably.

I refuse to be worried. We're too good to go down. Teams that play on this level don't get relegated.

On what level?? Playing well at the etihad?

Didn't burnley beat city a few weeks ago? Did people think they weren't going after that result?

People, IMO, are looking at it a little to 'black n white' with regards the form. Yeah we've played well last few weeks but who says that will continue? I mean, were hardly renowned for our consistency when it comes to playing well/getting results.

Leicester, Sunderland and hull are all capable of accumulating more points esp from more games. Everton look a tough opposition ATM.

I'm by no means saying we will, but we can definitely go down.

I just hope the players aren't as complacent as some fans and don't see it as silly to be well aware of the genuine threat that is there.

Hi woody, sorry I'm a bit late to the party and Mantis has already explained very well where people like me are coming from.

I'm not going to make an argument as to why I think we're fine, since I don't think that that's what's bothering you. It seems you think I'm taking things too lightly, and don't see the "danger". Well, believe me, I do see it but it doesn't change what I'm seeing on the pitch. I see a team both physically and mentally strong enough to win a game or two, which is enough. That's it.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

Statiscally - weve barley been in the bottom 3 all season which bodes well - the season bumbles along much the same - each week we stay out of the bottom 3 the closer we get to safety.

What bothers me is should we loose to Everton (distinct possibility IMO) - Then the pressure is ramped us massivley - we get into a fear based scenrio where one false move relegates us (I know it doesn't - but the players nerves jangle and they freeze)

I'm just thankful that our players and manager don't have the same mentality as some of the doom & gloom merchants on here.

If you go into these games with a negative attitude, you've lost before you start.

The team are taking games to the opposition, no matter who it may be-Yesterday showed you that. We may well respect these sides but we certainly don't fear them.

I see the last 4 games as winnable. I'm not saying we will get 12 points but we will go for it in every game.

I agree totally with this and without meaning any offence to anyone I think some of our supporters need to grow a pair.

I was as fearful as anyone of relegation during Lamberts last few weeks in charge. Since Sherwood has been here though with every week that has passed I have become more convinced that we will stay up despite the odd defeat along the way. On paper our team was always easily good enough to stay up and should never have been in any trouble. We just unfortunately pre Sherwood had a manager who had completely lost his way.

I am sure the players will be fearful of the drop but I don’t see that leading to us being cautious and we will go for the throat of the opposing side in every game we play between now and the end of the season. Simply wanting it more than the sides we are yet to play until we are safe is one of the main reasons I think we will secure enough points.

This is nothing new to us as well let’s remember. We have been battling relegation at the back end of the last 5 seasons now. It is not a new pressure and something most of the players aren’t used to. We have already shown under Sherwood when the pressure is on in both the league and cup we can handle it and I am convinced that will continue to be the case.

I don’t want to sound like a broken record but be it a nervous energy, or one of confidence and eagerness in wanting to get the job done, store it up and let it explode out at Villa Park in these upcoming games and get right behind the players and manager and let’s play our part in seeing us safe.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

I was worried after the Liverpool game that the players would be not focused enough on the Man City game and we may see a Wigan/Birmingham City scenario.  However, my fears have been allayed after that performance. We need individual errors to be cut out but between Cleverley, Delph, Grealish, N'Zogbia and Benteke we have enough goals to stay up.  Also Gabby to come back as well.

The individual errors keep costing us, and I guess with a back four that never seems to stay fit for more than a few games, that individual errors are more likely due to lack of understanding and rustiness. Going forward we are much better now, but that means nothing if the individual errors keep costing us goals at the other end of the pitch. The Everton game is going to be a tough one, as they seem to have hit a decent run of form, We really need to get a point from that game. West Ham is a must win game, and maybe look to get a point from Southampton. To do that we will need to cut out the gifts and have a bit of luck. I am still very nervous about relegation with only a 2 point gap, and the teams below appearing to pick up surprise results. The Hull win against Palace being a real kick in the teeth. However, if we get the five points from those three games then I think we will be more or less safe.

Three home games left, versus two mid-table sides and one against the worst team in the division, and one away game versus a Southampton team with not a lot to play for. If we can't get 6 points out of that we deserve to go down.

• Like 1

Hull & Sunderland have some tough games and providing we get a win out our last 4 I think that would be enough.

If we cannot get 3 or 4 points out of our last 4 games then we dont deserve to stay up.