Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

A big decision for Sherwood is whether or not to bring in Given for Guzan for the relegation battle. Personally I think he should be given a chance cos although Guzan has the odd world class save every now and again I don't think he is that reliable in goal. Seems to me like we often concede with our opponents first shot on goal with Guzan between the sticks.

I wouldn't actually blame Guzan - But I agree with your prognosis, early on in home games we look very edgy - that what concerns me about Saturday. Also someone posted on here that Everton didn't play that well, but they just put away there chances - which didn't re assure me at al !

Beat West Ham and Burnley we will be safe but I do think it will go down to the wire, hammers going through the motions and I think Burnley will be relegated before the last day, no excuses we are good enough to stay in this division but we have to earn it and stay where we belong.

• Like 1

I can understand people worrying about us staying up but I'm puzzled how people write us off and then make teams who are playing worse than us or who have tougher games out to be world beaters. It makes no sense what so ever. We should've beat QPR and showed strong character to come back and draw we then out play 3 of the top 6 in the next 3 games granted it was only worth 3 pts but the performances can't be underestimated. Our defeat on Saturday can only fire up the players as we were hard done by so with a rocking VP I expect us to win in a very entertaining game against Everton. I think 35 will probably be enough but I can see us getting 38+ anyway so I'm quite confident.

• Like 2

A big decision for Sherwood is whether or not to bring in Given for Guzan for the relegation battle. Personally I think he should be given a chance cos although Guzan has the odd world class save every now and again I don't think he is that reliable in goal. Seems to me like we often concede with our opponents first shot on goal with Guzan between the sticks.

I wouldn't actually blame Guzan - But I agree with your prognosis, early on in home games we look very edgy - that what concerns me about Saturday. Also someone posted on here that Everton didn't play that well, but they just put away there chances - which didn't re assure me at al !

I actually think we've started most games well under Sherwood.

Stoke- took the lead after 20 minutes.

West Brom- Brilliant, arguably the best half we've played this season.

Swansea- Can have this one. Were poor and should've been behind at half time.

QPR- Gave away a cheap goal after 5 minutes but excellent after and should've been more than 2-1 up at half time.

But this is VT so believing something becomes fact.

QPR- Gave away a cheap goal after 5 minutes but excellent after and should've been more than 2-1 up at half time.

2 out of 4 then ?

seem to remember WBA missing a couple early on in the league match - mainly from our errors (could be wrong, but that's my memory)

That was the cup game chap. WBA barely crossed the halfway line first half in the league game.

Well I could've added the Sunderland 4-0 game obviously, being better in the first half of the Liverpool cup game and being in the lead at WHL as others if we're counting aways aswell.

We've been on the front foot first half for most of the games we've played under Sherwood which makes a welcome change from the previous two managers.

If anything it's the second half when Sherwood start making subs where things go a bit wrong as we didn't create a huge amount in the WBA and QPR second halfs before the dramatic late goals.

Just don't get the pessimism

Beat Spurs away look the most comfortable I've seen us all season

Make Liverpool look like a pub side in the FA Cup

Yes we lost to Manure (Who we never beat anyway) and Man City away (Last seasons champions) after gifting them goals yet should have won after controlling the game with them needing help from the fourth official to get all 3 points

Sure..... were not going to win any more games between now and the end of the season

I don't know about others but how I feel is that the likelihood of it happening is increasing to a level that worries me a lot. No, we're not favourites to be the third team to go down, and we're probably gonna get 6-7 more points and that's enough, but at this point all we need is one howler on Saturday and Sunderland winning, and then we're in real pressure while Sunderland get their miracle confidence boost (like Leicester and Hull).

In this situation one bad game, one mistake, one unlucky bounce is staring to become too important for my liking. I think we'll stay up, but it's not really that unlikely that it'll happen either. Someone said odds are now 9/1. I guess that's accurate representation of the likelihood it happening and to be that's likely enough to be very worried.

Wasn't that always going to be the case though. You do remember when we lost at Hull, we had a terrible manager, couldn't score, couldn't win and were 2nd bottom.

Most people didn't want Sherwood and didn't think he'd be any good so I'm a bit bemused why people are now demanding we should be 10 points clear of the bottom 3 and already finished the job, we're not that good yet.

Me personally I'm just happy that after playing Spurs and the two Manchesters away in April we're out of the bottom 3 and still have a 2 point buffer over the zone. That's what I wanted and to spin it the Spurs win was massive given how the results have since panned out.

I would be a lot more negative if we'd lost that as yes then things would be looking very dodgy indeed and we would be relying on favours and teams not winning.

To me the only way we don't stay up now is something like Benteke gets sent off for violent conduct on Saturday so would be out for the last 3 games or he gets injured. Then I'd be seriously worried.

In the form he's in he'll be scoring goals in the last 4 games, match winning goals.

I don't think it looked like that was gonna be the case anymore before Leicester started (or continued) winning, palace lost to wba and hull and hull won today. I felt much more confident after the spurs win and thought we were safe. Now it feels like everything goes wrong and it won't stop.

That's true. I always thought Leicester had a good run in but thought they'd be too far adrift for it to make a difference, it dosen't look so bright now all of us on here celebrating them beating WBA in the last minute. They have enough to stay up now.

Hull I must admit with their fixture list looked in real trouble but there you go that's the benefit of playing teams like Liverpool and Palace who are mentally on the beach. We need to do the same when we play West Ham and Burnley.

I just look at Sunderland and think they're a very poor team. I've thought that all season, more so when we demolished them in March and Advocaat has limited quality to work with. They struggle to score more than one goal a game and anyone with pace destroys O'Shea as Bolaise did last week.

I would be amazed if they got another 6-7 points in the run in which is what they'll need to finish above us as long as we win another game or claim 3 draws.

I do agree with you about them being a poor side etc. That said, I think they've played fairly decent a couple of times recently, picked up a good point at Stoke last game out. At this stage of the season it's not really about how good your team is - a lot is about how much they want it and confidence levels. If they were to win on Saturday, they'd have momentum going into their final 4 games and that is a dangerous prospect (shit side or not). Remember they have a good fan base and, like us, I can't see them going down without a fight. We just have to better them.

It sounds like I'm being negative - I'm not. We're more than capable of putting this to bed. I just think some are perhaps underestimating the unpredictability of the end of season run-ins. It rarely goes how you expect, as Hull showed tonight. We'll know more come 5pm Saturday.

2 out of 4 then ?

seem to remember WBA missing a couple early on in the league match - mainly from our errors (could be wrong, but that's my memory)

West Brom had 1 shot in 1st half that was off target and its 3 out of 4 so most is right

I think we'll definitely beat West Ham and Burnley at home.

Everton is tricky as they're back in form (but then again so are we).

Southampton away I'm willing to write off as long as other results go our way.

I would love it if Newcastle went down, the look on that fat muppet Ashley's face would be priceless.

I did that night. We got lucky that season as a) we didn't win another game and B) Bolton didn't win another game despite having a decent run in. It was a near miracle that one didn't go to the last day really.

This season just feels different, infact it's pretty much identical to Lambert's first season when we were dead and buried January/February and suddenly just in time sprang to life and started scoring goals and actually playing well.

Even then Wigan started to win near the end which kept pressure up but they eventually ran out of steam and lost to Swansea and Arsenal at the end of that season.

I actually continued to believe we'd just about stay up after Bolton. Just that we had never gone on a big losing streak that season (maximum of two games) and I felt we'd grind out a result in at least one of the remaining games. I remember that QPR had a tough run in too.

It's been forgotten but Wigan were sort of screwed over when they were relegated, being victims of their FA Cup run. The final was played during the season then and they had a fixture pile up, playing the all-important Swansea game during mid-week. Thankfully that isn't the case with us.

Everton is unbeatable Saturday...

Sunderland will win three more...

Hull will win all four...

As will Leicester...

I wish Tim's confidence reaches fans at some point too, not just the players.

It has reached me. I'm up for it.

Can't wait till Saturday and a chance to put this to bed.

^ I'm with this guy

• Like 2

I'm on the fence.. Saying were safe or we shouldn't worry is naive as anything can happen and anyone can beat anyone. However saying were down is also naive as we're surely not going to lose all 4. One win and a draw will be enough. It could go either way. Playing well and getting results are too different things. Yeah we played well against city but we have nothing to show for it. We need at least a point against Everton. We can't defend for shit at the moment so no point sitting back like we did with Lambert as we still ship goals. We need to get at Everton.

I know Villa fans can be a bunch of hysterical drama queens at the best of times but this thread is taking it to new levels.

We have been in worse situations, with less time, in worse form, with worse teams, with worse fixtures and survived every single time without it even going to the last game.

Relax ffs. I'm not even 5% worried.

• Like 1